Would using a star filter for cinematography be too weird? - Page 38 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old January 24th, 2020, 04:04 AM   #556
Inner Circle

re: Would using a star filter for cinematography be too weird?

I'm not sure why you object to shooting hand held, good handheld is no worse than some of the gimbal shots you've used in your films. It's also used by many of the top feature film directors.

This is a simple film. if you can't manage something like this, you're going to be very limited in what you can direct in the drama world.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2020, 08:57 AM   #557
Inner Circle

This is just wrong Ryan. If you cannot think on your feet to be able to do this simple project, maybe you need to just stop. You don't have the kit or the skills for something quite basic, so your scripted stuff will be even harder. This is madness. I think most of us learned with one camera and developed our hand-held ability that grew gradually. You want to use tools but are not willing to spend time developing even basic skills.

I fear we are wasting our time now. You reject all our advice if it differs from your already set in stone plan.

You must perhaps start to consider if you have the right career in mind? Frankly, I think many people have dropped away from trying to help you because it is clear its pointless. We are getting nowhere.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2020, 11:32 AM   #558
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh well, I was told not to do handheld before, because in past projects, I was told it looked bad, and not to use it.

Well so far I find these projects that are less scripted with the shots less planned out to be more difficult. But when working with actors before, they were far better at taking direction in comparison. Plus when I think on my feet it presents other problems.

The martial artists, need their full bodies to be shown, so I cannot set any markers for them, without them being seen then. I am not sure what to do then, to try to keep them from going out of frame. Also I don't know how they are going to move, since they keep moving differently when responding to each other. I guess I just feel that scripted projects with actors are more predictable in my experience so far.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2020, 11:32 AM   #559
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
You must perhaps start to consider if you have the right career in mind? Frankly, I think many people have dropped away from trying to help you because it is clear its pointless. We are getting nowhere.
I think many decided that weeks ago and have just given up trying to help.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2020, 11:36 AM   #560
also known as Ryan Wray

Sorry for making it sound like I am rejecting advice. I don't mean to to do that. I really appreciate all the advice. I just find that some of the suggestions have other potential problems in them, that need to be addressed before proceeding that's all. Is that bad of me?

Alright, well if I need to take my own initiative, from now on, I am going to make sure I have the perfect master shot of them, and they have to get everything right in one take. Because I cannot get any matches in closer up shots. So I am going to get them to do perfect masters. They will be further away in the masters to stay in frame, but hopefully that's okay.
Old January 24th, 2020, 11:51 AM   #561
Inner Circle

There are no problems in this video that an average director can't solve

To expect a precise match on every take in something like this is naive, however, given the replay resources that even the average amateur has these days it's not insurmountable.

We used to do this kind of stuff on film, where there was no replay.

You must've been using poor hand held shots or using it inappropriately, because it's pretty standard tool in film making.
Old January 24th, 2020, 12:03 PM   #562
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay thanks. Well it's not that they have to match it precisely, but I find that a lot of the differences are quite obvious.

For example a few times, in the missmatches they are literally on opposite sides all of a sudden, cause they turn themselves around sometimes.

And they do not want to do more than two takes if I ask. I try to really push for it, but they say no, and want to see the footage played back, and then they say it's fine after. I don't think they realize it may not turn out that way in the editing. Unless they seem perfectly happy with one shot takes. I also really think I could do a lot more if they and the location, were more available than 90 minutes per shoot day.
Old January 24th, 2020, 12:08 PM   #563
Inner Circle

It's your job as the director to tell them you need more, if they refuse, since they're not paying you, tell them there's no point in continuing, pack your gear and walk out. If they're serious about the video they call you back, if not, you're better leaving.
Old January 24th, 2020, 12:09 PM   #564
Inner Circle

Some clients would not recognise a terrible take as long as the people in it did not fall over!

People have never told you not to do handheld - they tell you that it needs practice. Until I bought a gimbal I have been handholding for years and years. I'm really unimpressed with what the gimbal can do for me. Tripod 1st, shoulder mount 2nd and hand holding 3rd. Stick it on wide angle, then move in closer if wobble and shake happens because of longer focal lengths.

You are making excuses over and over again. Working with actors has driven you mad in all your topics, now this is suddenly easier than working with two martial arts people? The common denominator in all this is you Ryan. You seem to have no affinity with making movies at all. Everything goes wrong, nothing goes right and everyone else is to blame. This is just silly.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2020, 12:11 PM   #565
Slash Rules!

Regarding walking away from this project, whats in it for Ryan at this point?

Money? Nope.

Reel material? Nope.

Experience? he doesnt want to do more of this type of work so experience for what?

Fun? Doesnt sound like it.

If he walks away mid project and his rep suffers, does it matter? Hes not looking to do more anyway so who is badmouthing him going to affect?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2020, 12:22 PM   #566
also known as Ryan Wray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
Some clients would not recognise a terrible take as long as the people in it did not fall over!

People have never told you not to do handheld - they tell you that it needs practice. Until I bought a gimbal I have been handholding for years and years. I'm really unimpressed with what the gimbal can do for me. Tripod 1st, shoulder mount 2nd and hand holding 3rd. Stick it on wide angle, then move in closer if wobble and shake happens because of longer focal lengths.

You are making excuses over and over again. Working with actors has driven you mad in all your topics, now this is suddenly easier than working with two martial arts people? The common denominator in all this is you Ryan. You seem to have no affinity with making movies at all. Everything goes wrong, nothing goes right and everyone else is to blame. This is just silly.
Sorry I don't mean to blame others, it's just they tell me it's good and want to move on. But I will do my best to make it better for the next shoots.

But as far as no affinity goes, I was told that the one short film I made Battle Damaged Souls was much better than all my other work. So I feel I made some progress based on what people were saying there.
Old January 24th, 2020, 12:50 PM   #567
Inner Circle

However, best be aware that "Battle Damaged Souls" is a monologue, that's very different to actors interacting with each other and complex relationships on screen.

If you want to get this martial arts video finished, just shoot a wide shot for every set up, cut them together and leave it there. That's the client is always right, even if they're totally wrong approach that you sometimes have to take.
Old January 24th, 2020, 01:29 PM   #568
also known as Ryan Wray

Okay thanks. Another thing that is different is that with the martial arts video, they want to show off the moves, which means trying to cut to close up for parts that are not as well seen.

Where as a fictional story, audiences don't care to see how the moves are done, so I don't have to show everything, which I am not use to. I think for the next shoot I am going to go in without storyboards, and whatever they do, try to come up with new shots on the fly. It's just I fear that will not turn out well without a plan. But maybe it might be better.

Last edited by Ryan Elder; January 24th, 2020 at 02:03 PM.
Old January 24th, 2020, 02:08 PM   #569
Inner Circle

Tell them that unless you do the close shots they want so the viewers can see the moves, there's no point in just doing the wide, Again, be prepared to walk away, there's no point in being gentle about things,

You're wasting people's time here because you're not doing what a director or even the camera operator will do when shooting these things.
Old January 24th, 2020, 04:21 PM   #570
also known as Ryan Wray

Okay thanks. I will do that.

The thing about doing the fights in one take though, is that I want to cut out the fluff, or the parts that are not as good. So that is why I want something to cut to from different angles of course. However, before I was told the cuts are awkward. How do you cut out a section of fluff, without the cut being awkward?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production