DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Do a lot of movies use this 3 color rule? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/537753-do-lot-movies-use-3-color-rule.html)

Pete Cofrancesco January 4th, 2021 09:59 PM

Re: Do a lot of movies use this 3 color rule?

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Nantz (Post 1963292)
Think of Mannix (TV circa 1970s, the private eye who lived in a trailer near the beach and wore a sport coat).

I'm not familiar with this show but sounds a lot like James Garner in The Rockford Files. Which came first? Come to think of it used the same setup for Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon

Funny there's a whole private eye genre. Sort of died out a bit. But there are so many iterations. In my era we had Tom Selleck in Magnum PI but he traded in his sports coat for a Tiger's baseball cap, causal attire, and a red Ferrari. I'm still not sure how he was able to sneak around undetected in a flashy sports car. lol

Josh Bass January 4th, 2021 10:03 PM

We need a new, modern, "gritty" PI show...one where each episode is just the guy sitting in his 30 year-old car, eating junk food, trying to get photos of a cheating husband, while arguing on the phone with his ex-wife about alimony payments and child support for their three kids.

And Selleck left the private investigatory life to go public and become police chief or commissioner or something, spending most of his time presiding over large family dinners with Wahlbergs. Until Blue Bloods was cancelled.

Pete Cofrancesco January 4th, 2021 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Bass (Post 1963294)
We need a new, modern, "gritty" PI show...one where each episode is just the guy sitting in his 30 year-old car, eating junk food, trying to get photos of a cheating husband, while arguing on the phone with his ex-wife about alimony payments and child support for their three kids.

And Selleck left the private investigatory life to go public and become police chief or commissioner or something, spending most of his time presiding over large family dinners with Wahlbergs. Until Blue Bloods was cancelled.

I always had a private chuckle that lackadaisical Hawaiian PI would one day become the respected commissioner for the NYPD

Josh Bass January 4th, 2021 10:18 PM

Don't forget that period in between, probably during his midlife crisis, when he was a pediatrician who dated one of his former patients who was half his age, and hung out with her annoying 20-something Friends.

Pete Cofrancesco January 4th, 2021 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Bass (Post 1963296)
Don't forget that period in between, probably during his midlife crisis, when he was a pediatrician who dated one of his former patients who was half his age, and hung out with her annoying 20-something Friends.

I lost interest in him between islands.

Josh Bass January 4th, 2021 10:34 PM

Badump ch!

Paul R Johnson January 5th, 2021 02:29 AM

I’ve always thought British detectives as in real ones always look like policemen, whereas US ones just look normal.

Josh Bass January 5th, 2021 02:41 AM

I have it on good authority they also say "What's all this, then?" a lot.

Paul R Johnson January 5th, 2021 06:21 AM

No - it's "ello, ello, ello, What's all this, then?"

It's only recently they were encouraged to speak normally in court. For years there were stock phrases. The uniformed constable giving evidence in court would be asked a question by the wig wearing prosecution or defence barister. He or she would turn to the judge and ask" May I refer to my notes, M'lud?" They would be told yes, and would produce their pocket book - a small notebook, bound and numbered. They would open it and start by saying something like this. "On the evening concerned I was proceeding in a northerly direction in the performance of my duties when I saw the acused pick up a brick, and throw it through the greengrocers window. I arrested the accused and cautioned him. He replied saying "It's a fair cop, governor, but society is to blame". I then detained him and took him into custody." My father-in-law was a policeman and they really could speak like this. However, in the 70s we had some new quite violent Police drams on TV - Google "the sweeney" - Sweeny Todd, Flying Squad in Cockney Rhyming slang. They would throw the criminals down the apples and pairs (stairs) and sometimes they'd be brown bread (dead) or more likely just have a cut lip on their boat race (face). In the Sweeney, the favourite phrase was "you're nicked, you scroat" and embarassingly, people from the US were often septic tanks.

Josh Bass January 5th, 2021 10:21 AM

Well many of us truly ARE septic tanks...

I just making a dumb joke but now thanks to you Ive learned something.

Boyd Ostroff January 5th, 2021 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Nantz (Post 1963292)
Think of Mannix (TV circa 1970s, the private eye who lived in a trailer near the beach and wore a sport coat).

That sure sounds like the Rockford Files to me. And don't forget the gold Firebird!

And Tom Selleck's latest gig is long commercials that push reverse mortgages to senior citizens. When the tag line of your commercial is "Look, a reverse mortgage isn't some kind of scheme to take away your house", then you know you have finally hit bottom. :-D

Pete Cofrancesco January 5th, 2021 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff (Post 1963304)
That sure sounds like the Rockford Files to me. And don't forget the gold Firebird!

And Tom Selleck's latest gig is long commercials that push reverse mortgages to senior citizens. When the tag line of your commercial is "Look, a reverse mortgage isn't some kind of scheme to take away your house", then you know you have finally hit bottom. :-D

That ad leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Does he really need the money that bad to be the spokesperson for predatory lending?

Speaking of BBC Private eyes, I really enjoyed "Case Histories" outstanding short series

Josh Bass January 5th, 2021 12:09 PM

Probably not. Maybe he just loves to work,,.ANY work. Hes also an avocado farmer.

John Nantz January 5th, 2021 05:33 PM

Hey Pete ---
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco (Post 1963293)
I'm not familiar with this show but sounds a lot like James Garner in The Rockford Files. Which came first? Come to think of it used the same setup for Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon

You're right! It was James Garner. Don't know why I remember Mannix but there was some connection. It's been a long time ... (Mea Culpa: please give me a break)

Pete Cofrancesco January 5th, 2021 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Bass (Post 1963307)
Probably not. Maybe he just loves to work,,.ANY work. Hes also an avocado farmer.

He also grows mustaches

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Nantz (Post 1963309)
Hey Pete ---

You're right! It was James Garner. Don't know why I remember Mannix but there was some connection. It's been a long time ... (Mea Culpa: please give me a break)

That era is a little before my time. I only know Rockford Files from reruns.