First Shoot Tomorrow! I'm excited! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old November 18th, 2005, 09:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

First Shoot Tomorrow! I'm excited!

Well, it is finally here. My first real shoot is this weekend. It's a 20 minute comedy with about 220 shots. 8 scenes, 8 actors. We have a great cast. I'm in metro NYC so I got the actors from craigslist and mandy.com.

Equipment is Panny GS400, Bogen tripod, Rode VideoMic, Britek lights, $14 steadycam, $7 painter's boom pole. And this afternoon I hope to finish the $57 dolly.

Here's to hoping that everyone shows up, is in good spirits and ready to work. Wish me luck.

Brian.
Brian Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 10:30 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Brian, good luck man. Watch out because this life is highly addictive. Just remember what seperates the men from the boys. When you hit that 12th hour of production and you are 3 shots from making your day, take a look around. The ones that are still ready to work and are not whining around are the ones that are really dedicated to the craft. Take the good days with the bad days. As Christine Vachon said, "You have to expect the worst, plan for the worst, and repress all thoughts about the worst." This is the paradox of low-low-budget film making. To not think about these negatives will allow you to take no holds barred risks that many experienced film makers would never think of taking. This is what makes it great to be in your shoes right now. Have a great shoot.

http://www.southernwindsfilmfestival.com

http://www.phigmentphilms.com
James Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 01:59 PM   #3
Trustee

At this point, I can only say: keep your cool. You will need to take charge, solve problems, and generally be superman. Don't forget to feed 'em! You will probably be too busy to think about food.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 02:42 PM   #4
Major Player

Brian,

20 minutes, 220 shots, 8 scenes, 8 actors. It sounds daunting, but the very fact the you know exactly how many shots you have is a testament to the pre-production planning you must have done. Did you do storyboards, too? That would be a lot of boards.

I hope everything goes well. Have fun!

Josh
Joshua Provost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 03:28 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hey, if things don't workout----I'll give you ten dollars for that fourteen dollar steadicam.

Good luck. Let us know how it went.

Last edited by Robert Ballew; November 18th, 2005 at 07:45 PM.
Robert Ballew is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production