Help: 60i to 24P in Vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old November 24th, 2005, 11:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Help: 60i to 24P in Vegas

I have already searched around this section, but would like some clarification and help.

I have a 60i video that I would like to convert to 24p. I set the Project Properties so that Field Order = Lower Field First, Frame Rate = 23.976 (IVTC Film), Deinterlace Method = Blend Fields

Now, when I render the video, I do the following:
Video Format = Uncompressed, Frame Rate = 23.976, Field Order = Lower Field First. The video will be viewed only on the computer.

When I played the render video back, it looked slightly too choppy and even after compressing it to *.wmv it still looked a bit choppy.

The original footage was shot at 1/60.

Is there anyway to smooth out the choppyness? Any help would be appreciated, thanks again!
Mike Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 06:16 AM   #2
Trustee

In one sentence, you say this:

"Deinterlace Method = Blend Fields"

Then:

"Now, when I render the video, I do the following:
Video Format = Uncompressed, Frame Rate = 23.976, Field Order = Lower Field First. The video will be viewed only on the computer."

If it has already been de-interlaced, why do you need field orders?

"When I played the render video back, it looked slightly too choppy and even after compressing it to *.wmv it still looked a bit choppy."

Is your computer fast enough to deal with uncompressed video? That's a lot of data. On the other hand, is the .wmv compressing so much that your processor is taxed uncompressing? How fast is your machine? Have you tried different media players? VLC media player is faster than the windows media player.

Of course, some of the choppiness is going to be the 24fps framerate of the video itself. 24fps is really quite a poor speed to create smooth-looking video. I notice the lack of framerate in 35mm big-screen movies all the time. I wish they would switch to something faster. IMAX is 40fps and it looks fairly smooth. Video looks very smooth on a TV because you are seeing 60 half-frames per second. I think a great compromise would be to shoot at 48fps and down-convert to 24fps for older systems. Wouldn't that be nice?
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 04:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault

"When I played the render video back, it looked slightly too choppy and even after compressing it to *.wmv it still looked a bit choppy."

Is your computer fast enough to deal with uncompressed video? That's a lot of data. On the other hand, is the .wmv compressing so much that your processor is taxed uncompressing? How fast is your machine? Have you tried different media players? VLC media player is faster than the windows media player.

Of course, some of the choppiness is going to be the 24fps framerate of the video itself. 24fps is really quite a poor speed to create smooth-looking video. I notice the lack of framerate in 35mm big-screen movies all the time. I wish they would switch to something faster. IMAX is 40fps and it looks fairly smooth. Video looks very smooth on a TV because you are seeing 60 half-frames per second. I think a great compromise would be to shoot at 48fps and down-convert to 24fps for older systems. Wouldn't that be nice?
My computer is a P4 3.0, 512MB DDR Ram, Nvidia 128MB video card. My other videos at 29.9fps run perfectly fine uncompressed so I would expect it to do the same when I convert it to 24p. I tried both Win Media Player 9 and the old Win Media Player 6.4 and it was a bit on the choppy side. I don't have the VLC media player.
Mike Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 08:26 PM   #4
Trustee

Your computer should be fast enough. Are you getting a constant jitter, or are you experiencing random, pronounced stutters? A constant, slight effect could simply be 24fps.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 02:38 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Mike, have you tried creating progressive output instead of interlaced? Your output values are indicating that your final render will be interlaced.
Clay Coulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 05:22 PM   #6
Jubal 28

If you move your camera too quickly in 60i -- a pan, a zoom, a tilt, etc., you may well see some strobing when you convert to 24p. If you plan to convert to 24p, you have to shoot like 24p, and that means slooooow camera moves.

If even WM9 was "choppy," I'll bet what you're seeing are motion artifacts from too-quick motion.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production