Deinterlacing Footage and Cinelook at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old January 20th, 2003, 04:21 AM   #1
Tourist

Deinterlacing Footage and Cinelook

Hi! I was experimenting with video in Adobe Premiere and noticed that after I had deinterlaced the video, and made the frame rate 24 frames a second, the footage significantly looked a lot like film. I was wondering what exactly does Cinelook do to give the alleged film look! Does it deinterlace the footage and color correct the footage? If color correction is all Cinelook does, then can one just use Adobe Photoshop for that?? Is Cinelook's color correction better than photoshop? I now the grain that Cinelook does is practically useless since most film stocks right know have barely any grain.

Thank,
JP
Jon Paul Puno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2003, 10:14 AM   #2
Warden

Photoshop is not practical for large numbers of frames. After Effects allows you to place filters on entire scenes. It is more practical for video work. Cinelook also has preset film looks that adjust levels, gamma etc, Cinelook and Photoshop both have excellent color correction.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2003, 03:28 PM   #3

Hi John, are you using Preemiere on a PC or Mac? WHat version of Premiere? What system OS?

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2003, 12:03 AM   #4
New Boot

Here is an avi clip i made compressed to divx (www.divx.com) which is progressive and 3:2 pulldown is removed. Used Virtualdub.

http://www.tentimesnothing.com/tentimes/street2.avi

File size originally 70 MB -- now it's 6.39 MB. Not as crisp but more downloadable :p

shot in 24p mode on pansonic dvx100.
Rene Legaspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2003, 10:47 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Jon, Cinelook does not deinterlace. Neither does Cinemotion, for that matter. What they try to do (with Cinelook's frame blending and Cinemotion's settings) is try to mimic film motion at the 3:2 pulldown step. That being said, you can still use Cinelook to color correct and add grain (if need be) You can use your photoshop deinterlace filter in After Effects, or use the 50 percent opacity trick w/2 copies of your clip (1 upper, 1 lower field) exporting it out as full frame. I've written a bit more in other software recommendations in the other deinterlace thread...if you need any further assistance feel free to ask.

Posterizing your clip @ 24fps can sometimes work, but in most cases the motion judder is a bit off, leading to jerky results. HTH.
Michael Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production