Bikini casting problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old March 8th, 2006, 06:37 PM   #1
Major Player

Bikini casting problem

Hi,
I'm making a music video and I need (How shall I put this delicately?)... very attractive young ladies to dance around in bikini's - I know, its a tough life sometimes. I intend to put a posting on some of the casting sites but I am in a dilemma - how do I honestly put across the facts of the shoot in my job advert without sounding like a complete sleazebag? I intend to run the casting and shooting process in an efficient and professional manner but regrettably my budget does not extend to the sort of fees charged by model agencies. Unfortunately this is what the client wants so any advice would be appreciated
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #2
Regular Crew

hmmm maby let the client handle that part of the "budget"...
!----------> Just a thought. <--------!
Old March 8th, 2006, 07:49 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Just be upfront. "Casting for music videos. Dancers required. Bikini and two piece, no nudity."
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 08:09 PM   #4
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

Richards suggestion is excellent .. also include if there is pay or no pay.
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 09:00 AM   #5
Major Player

You may also add that "chaperones are welcome" if you're real worried about appearing sleazy.

But yes, be totally upfront about exactly what you want.
Reid Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 07:59 AM   #6
Major Player

Update

Thanks for the advice, which I applied to the postings I made. To date, I have received over 100 replies!
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 09:09 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Doesn't surprise me. Most aspiring actresses and dancers understand that they'll need to do some 'glamour' shots/modelling at some point. Most are comfortable with a professional approach to swimsuits or some sort of 'lingerie' wear.

The key word is professional.

Make sure their privacy is respected in changing into and out of their costumes. Make sure the crew is respectful. (NO HITTING on anyone, no comments about their appearance, no matter how 'chatty' or 'humorous' you might think they are.) Have a female assistant or P.A. whose sole job it is to assist them with dressing and makeup. Have robes handy if they need them WHEN THEY ARE NOT SHOOTING.

Same thing applies to an audition.

Interestingly enough, all of these rules go TRIPLE when you are shooting/casting for partial nudity or some nudity. (And yes, the same rules apply if the role is male.)
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 04:43 AM   #8
New Boot

Protect your actors...

I agree completely with Mr. Alvarez, and chime in with the truism that it is the directorīs job to protect his cast, from everything.

You canīt have your crew EITHER complimenting or NOT complimenting your actors during your shoot... Even if itīs well-intentioned, the actor NEXT to the receiving party will feel diminished, and vice versa.

Your situation brings to mind the music video for "Owner of a Lonely Heart (Max Grahamīs remix)"... Two boys set up a casting call for girls...

"GIRLS!
OWN A BIKINI?
LIKE TO DANCE?
CASTING CALL!"

Heh.... and then they sit in directorīs chairs, and act like casting types... One dancer even gives them a resume, and they pretend to look at it... Funny stuff...

But yeah, protect your actors\models, and theyīll decide if they want to, or not.

My two cents.
Donovan Cerminara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 02:45 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Seek out some help if you want it

There are casting folks who do this kind of thing. They usually have a catalog of trade show girls and presenter/actors they know. I'm assuming you have a decent budget and can pay them. I used a service like this in Vegas to hire dancers/strippers/girls in bikinis.
Christian Calson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production