I'm new, but I wrote a Film Look tutorial. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old January 27th, 2003, 01:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

I'm new, but I wrote a Film Look tutorial.

Hey guys. This is my first post. I am a active member of the Star Wars fanfilm community. We over at theforce.net have been trying to come up with ways to get the ulitmate film look for video footage. So after taking in all the different ideas and trying them out, I complied all that information into one tutorial for film looking footage. I call it the CineAlta tutorial because that is the type of cameras George Lucas used on Episode II. Anyway, just use this tutorial as a starting point for film looking footage. Also, I'd like any comments or suggestions on possible improving anything about the tutorial. Thank you.

http://www.geocities.com/pixelmagic2002/CineAlta1.html

You will find the link to the two different parts at the bottom of the introduction page linked above.
Daniel Broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2003, 01:30 PM   #2
Wrangler

If anyone has trouble accessing the above link, it's because some bad html sneaked in. Try http://www.geocities.com/pixelmagic2002/CineAlta1.html.

Thanks for the tutorial, Daniel. Are you at Iowa State?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2003, 02:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Robert. I fixed the link. No, I don't go to Iowa State.
Old January 28th, 2003, 08:10 AM   #4
Warden

Daniel, excellant overview. Your section on depth of field (DOF) is inaccurate. This article on DV Info should help. If you have questions concerning DOF please post them here.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2003, 08:32 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Daniel,

This is a nice article, I especially like your section on color timing.

I would like to give your article a home on dvinfo.net, in our Cinematic Attributes from Digital Video section. Of course there would be a link back to your original location and I would need a short bio about you.

The only thing is, two small inaccuracies would need to be edited or perhaps just simply removed: "...try to shoot with a shallow depth of field by keeping the iris open as wide as possible" and "...to control depth of field, take the camera as far back as you can, then zoom into the subject." For more info, see Ultimate Jeff Donald's Depth-of-Field Skinny at http://www.dvinfo.net/articles/optics/dofskinny.php

Let me know, as I'd like to put this online as soon as possible. Great job, Daniel!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2003, 04:46 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hey Chris. You are welcome to put my tutorial up on your site. Where is the Cinematic section. I'm new to this site, and I don't know how to find anything. Yep, I'm stupid. Take it for what it's worth. But you can edit or do whatever you want with my tutorial.
Old January 30th, 2003, 10:47 AM   #7
Major Player

Very interesting Daniel. I am curious as to how you see the workflow for, say, a ninety minute project using your process. How would you edit, then do your motion, color correction techniques?

If it was easy, they'd get a relative to do it.
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2003, 12:34 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Well, the motion part of the tutorial would have to be done BEFORE you edit. And you would have to edit the color correction on a shot to shot basis anyway. It would take a while, but worth it I think.
Old January 30th, 2003, 05:29 PM   #9
Major Player

Why would you have to do the motion enhancement before the edit?

Thx for the great tutorial.

Rob
Robert Poulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2003, 07:29 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Well, if you edit the interlaced signal, then you don't have to do it before the edit. However, if you de-interlace your footage, then edit it, you cannot apply the motion technique after the fact.
Old January 31st, 2003, 12:23 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks Daniel, see http://www.dvinfo.net/articles/index.php -- it will go in the Cinematic Attributes from Digital Video section. I'm in New York at a tradeshow right now but will add it very soon. Thanks again,

Old April 4th, 2003, 10:22 AM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

Finally they're up... see:

http://www.dvinfo.net/articles/filmlook/broadway1.php
http://www.dvinfo.net/articles/filmlook/broadway2.php

Thanks,

Old April 4th, 2003, 01:17 PM   #13
Regular Crew

That's very good Chris, thank you. But to my embarrasment, I have since learned a few things that in my tutorial are inaccurate. I accidently wrote that you should close your iris down for shallow depth of field, when I meant to put OPEN your iris up. Also, the resulting motion blur from this technique is actually 1/40th of a second, not 1/30th, just a couple of minor details.
Old April 4th, 2003, 01:26 PM   #14
Obstreperous Rex

Okay Daniel, I corrected that page, you might want to look over it and make sure I did the right things. Thanks again,

Old April 4th, 2003, 01:35 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Much better Chris, but below the right hand picture it needs to read 1/40th instead of 1/48th like before. But, I don't know that it makes much difference.
Daniel Broadway is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production