How to plan a music video? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old May 17th, 2006, 02:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How to plan a music video?

I am thinking about making a music video, but I have some questions:

-How are you guys planning the actual shoot?
Are you making story-boards and saying: "Well from 01:14-01:18 we have this shot and from.... "
- How do you sync it all up?

Hope you cn help a newbie in music videos!
Christian Hede Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:04 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Hede Madsen
I am thinking about making a music video, but I have some questions:

-How are you guys planning the actual shoot?
Are you making story-boards and saying: "Well from 01:14-01:18 we have this shot and from.... "
- How do you sync it all up?

Hope you cn help a newbie in music videos!
Plan your shots though be open to happy accidents. Do multiple takes of the band from idfferent angles, closeups etc. Pre-record the music and have the band mime playing as you play the recording on set. Note - the drummer has to really play in the shoot even if you don't use the sound, otherwise its obvious he's faking
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:27 PM   #3
Inner Circle

If this is your first time, a storyboard would be a good exercise.

Think about the entire music video in your head, visualizing all the shots. i.e. play your music video in your head.
Ok. Write that all down in a storyboard. There are various templates on the internet I believe.

From there, make a shot list. Or do a shot list beforehand. This is so you don't get confused when you shoot the music video out of order. Had you shot the video chronologically, you would find yourself moving the camera back to where it was earlier. Instead, you can just shoot all the shots for one camera setup and move on to the next setup.

It can also help to do:
--prop list
--equipment list
--scout the location, and do a sketch of its layout where the circuits are, what the background noise is like, where you think you can put your lights, light sources (incl. windows), etc.
--call sheet. With clear directions to the shoot location, phone #s, when people have to be on set.
attach a map to the location.

see http://www.ryerson.ca/rta/handbook/t..._paperwork.htm

Once you've done this once, you'll realize that some things you can do away with if you know what you're doing. i.e. storyboards sometimes you don't need.

2- REcord a special version of the song with 1-frame beeps at the beginning and at the end, with small pauses.
When you bring this into your editing application, you'll see 1-frame spikes indicating where these beeps are. It'll be easy to sync things up.
The beep can be something like 1khz tone. Make the beep as loud as possible (i.e. 0dB), and for one frame.

Put this special version into whatever you're using for playback... i.e. a CD in a boombox.

This doesn't work if you play specific parts of the song. So you can just sync things manually in post... use the camera's audio tracks as a guide.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:22 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank you very much:)
Christian Hede Madsen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production