Static Foreground, Activity in Background? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old May 29th, 2006, 09:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Static Foreground, Activity in Background?

In a piece I'm working on, I'm working on a scene where the foreground would be frozen (as if in time) while a figure in the background is active. How is that accomplished? The opposite is fairly straight forward, but...

Many thanks from this naive...
Frank Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 05:48 AM   #2
Capt. Quirk

You would shoot your foreground scene, cut out the background, and lay it over the top of your new background. Since you don't mention what programs you have, you might need to do this differently-

Take a single frame, and export it into photoshop. You will then paint over everything that is supposed to move. Use a single color that you can use for a chroma key. Then, lay it over top of the background, and key out the colored in portion.

You will need to extend the length of that single frame to match the length of the background video.
Old May 31st, 2006, 08:13 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Doh!
Of course. Thanks a million Keith.
Frank Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 03:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
Take a single frame, and export it into photoshop. You will then paint over everything that is supposed to move. Use a single color that you can use for a chroma key. Then, lay it over top of the background, and key out the colored in portion.
Instead, while in Photoshop, erase the areas you don't want and save in photoshop format (or anything else that can keep an alpha channel). Just import that file in your NLE. There is no need to do a color key, as the areas are already transparent.

Also, instead of starting with a video frame, you might be better off starting with a digital still photo, which would give you better resolution, options for reframing, and no interlacing artifacts.
Old June 1st, 2006, 06:31 PM   #5
Trustee

If you are going to use a matte, like J-F describes, then be sure to add the grain back in otherwise it will look suspect.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2006, 08:22 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks all. I think for my purposes Keith's approach will be the best because it will be easy enough to film the area twice as long as I block it correctly.
Frank Howard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production