Film Look with Handycam Possible ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old September 25th, 2006, 03:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Film Look with Handycam Possible ?

Hello , im wondering is it possible to get the film look by just using a small Handycam ? or the Panasonic GS300 ? by down covnverting to 24fps and doing some colour correction.

Thanks
Anthony Tham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2006, 09:31 PM   #2
Major Player

Absolutely. However, the "film look" isn't just achieved by color correcting and 24p. It's also about lighting, DOF, things like that. But yes, it's absolutely possible. The only limit is your imagination.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 05:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Ah alright Thanks ! :) :) do you have any comments on the panasonic MD10000 ? or the MD9000 ?

owh by the way may i know what DOF is ? thanks a million
Old September 26th, 2006, 07:56 AM   #4
Regular Crew

DOF = Depth of field. Plenty of info on that subject in these forums. search on DOF or depth of field and you probably got enough to read for a couple weeks ;-)
Old September 26th, 2006, 11:47 PM   #5
Major Player

Hey Anthony!

Got your followup email and I'll reply tomorrow - get the 10000 over the 9000. The 9000 has a slightly larger CCD, but the 10000 makes up for it in the image (as you saw in the shots I emailed you).

Since it's PAL, just convert the 50i to 25p (deinterlace - preferably with a good one) and slow it down to 24p. Looks fantastic. VERY filmic motion.
Old September 26th, 2006, 11:52 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harris
Absolutely. However, the "film look" isn't just achieved by color correcting and 24p. It's also about lighting, DOF, things like that. But yes, it's absolutely possible. The only limit is your imagination.
I think the majority of people asking about film look are talking about film motion.

Honestly, light and dof and even color correction really don't look all that great (hardly mistaken as something shot on film) if the motion isn't there in the first place. Get good film motion and everyone'll think it really was shot on film regardless of the lighting.
Old September 27th, 2006, 09:40 AM   #7
Regular Crew

thanks lots Patrick ! :) those pics really looks filmy ! :D haha 50i to 25p ? and down to 24fps ? im not sure what that is but will do some homework ;) like you will be doing some wedding videos :D THanks again ! by the way , when you move the MD10000 does the video have those horizontal lines ?

Thanks !
Old September 27th, 2006, 09:45 AM   #8
Major Player

Yeah that's the interlace - the shots I sent hadn't been deinterlaced after all. The post processing will remove that.

more info: http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/Pa...ogressive.aspx
Old September 27th, 2006, 07:18 PM   #9
Regular Crew

hey i downloaded some of your clips from your website are those all shot throught the MD 10000 ? it looks filmish to me :)
Anthony Tham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production