Built a dolly - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old October 30th, 2006, 08:14 AM   #31
Trustee

Perhaps your wheels are too hard? Try putting more/less weight on the dolly, and lubricating the track.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 01:24 PM   #32
Slash Rules!

I think if anything, they're too soft. They're 82A.

I can try lubing. What would you recommend?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 01:25 PM   #33
Slash Rules!

I think if anything, they're too soft. They're 82A.

They squeak when there's nothing on the dolly, as well as when I stand on it.

I can try lubing. What would you recommend?
Old October 31st, 2006, 12:50 AM   #34
Trustee

There's some pricier dry type lubricants (teflon or silicon) that won't attract dirt grit. Maybe call one of the big automotive parts suppliers and tell them you've got rubber on PVC and you don't want it to squeak. Those dudes are usually pretty sharp.
Old November 11th, 2006, 12:50 AM   #35
Slash Rules!

I'm at a loss, dudes.

I got a silicon lube, still squeaking.

I've noticed there seems to be an issue with slight misalignments, meaning that it's difficult for all the wheels to be touching the PVC pipe at the same time, which causes several problems. I guess the slotted angle iron isn't perfectly straight, or something.

I tried loosening the wheels (more space on the axel between them), tightening them as much as I could, while still allowing them to roll.

The dolly squeaks when I'm on it, and squeaks when there's nothing on it at all.

They just keep squealing away.

I really hope they're not too soft, 'cause I don't want to spend another buttload on another, harder set of wheels.
Old November 11th, 2006, 09:23 AM   #36
Trustee

I have alignment problems too, but my error is tolerable (so there is no sound). Do not buy harder wheels!

I can't offer much help because I used the V-shaped design, where the wheels are perpendicular to one another.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 07:37 PM   #37
Slash Rules!

I would call it more of an "L" than a "v". I'm not sure how much good that would do. The problem is pretty minor---- If angle between the two parts of the metal is supposed to be 90 degrees, than mine might be 87. I tried taking some of the washers out that space the wheels apart, so I'll see if that helps.
Old November 12th, 2006, 05:47 PM   #38
Trustee

Josh,

What if you put a lot of weight (sandbags, etc.) do they still squeak?
Old November 12th, 2006, 09:53 PM   #39
Slash Rules!

I stood on it and moved it, and it squeaked. I'm about 150 lbs. I think the squeaking didn't start 'til I spaced the wheels out more (with washers), so I'll try it again with some of the washers removed.
Old November 16th, 2006, 07:37 PM   #40
New Boot

if you put one nut on, and tighten just the way you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass
I stood on it and moved it, and it squeaked. I'm about 150 lbs. I think the squeaking didn't start 'til I spaced the wheels out more (with washers), so I'll try it again with some of the washers removed.
want it, then put another identical nut on and tighten it Hard on top of the first, it will lock it REAL well, and cheap, easy to find, just more of the same.

does the dolly squeak when you put it on tile or concrete and move it with weight on it? If not, I would reco RAIN/x from an automotive store or walmart, put on the pipe, let dry polish off. you also might try rigid cpvc pipe (hot water pipe), might be dif noise, might self lube, some materials do.

with three contact points on each side you will NEVER (i don't think) get all to rest on the track at one time with the weight evenly distributed. try taking the middle ones off. with the L shape like Safire's you are almost always getting permenent contact. think about it.
Jon Whiteford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 08:20 PM   #41
Slash Rules!

I'm a little lost.

Here's what my wheels look like:
Attached Thumbnails
Built a dolly-wheels_2_thumb.jpg  
Old November 16th, 2006, 08:38 PM   #42
New Boot

Man, you need to clean your carpet..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass
I'm a little lost.

Here's what my wheels look like:
just kidding. forget the two nuts on the end of the bolt, your bolts are not long enough, rain/x is a superslipery lubricant that goes on your windshield to slide rain off (it is really something to see, no need for wipers over 5mph) I thought it might be cheap (relatively), dry, and not pick up dirt to use to lube the tubes(if it is wheel against tube squeak (known as 'WATS' in the biz).

if it don't squeak under load on concrete (directly on the concrete, no tubes), its not the bearings. most bearing today are sealed lifelong bearings and don't need/use lube anyway.

for three sets of wheels to contact equally _____O____O____O____ the line of the pipe must be absolutly leavel, the ground (any ground or floor) will rarely be, take the middle ones out, then it can't push up in the middle and change the bearing of the front or rear ones. (think, josh, think---dammit jim, I'm a doctor, not a plasma mechanic!)
Jon Whiteford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 09:00 PM   #43
Slash Rules!

I actually did take the middle set off.

Let me try the it with the washers taken off (the pipe's at a friend's house, so I won't be able to try for a few days), see if that helps.

No, it doesn't squeak on other surfaces, just the pipe.
Old November 18th, 2006, 07:31 PM   #44
Regular Crew

Hey Josh, I think I know why your wheels squeak - you have both wheels on the same axle, trying to straddle the pipe - when you put weight on the dolly, the wheels are trying to spread apart and ride further down on the pipe. As the wheels rotate, they're "scrubbing" along either side of the pipe, giving the same effect as if you SLID your rubber-soled shoe along the floor instead of ROLLING it.

That design can't work without developing noise - I don't remember where, but I saw another home-built design that puts the wheels in two separate rows, angled so that one set of wheels is at 90 degrees from the OTHER set of wheels, and on separate axles (the bolts you're using) - that way, each set of wheels rides CENTERED on the pipe but NOT in line with each other; instead, the two rows of wheels for each pipe would be at 90 degrees to each other.

I don't have a site to post pix to, or I'd do a sketch to clarify.

I also can't think of any store-bought hardware that could accomplish what I'm talking about without some welding (I do a bit of everything, so this is common for me)

Mainly, I think you're wasting your time trying to get your wheels to stop squeaking as it's built right now - they need to contact the pipe perpendicular to a line that passes through the center of the pipe so they won't "scrub" along their sidewalls.

If I come up with a practical solution I'll find a way to post it somewhere for you... Steve
Steve Leverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2006, 10:06 PM   #45
Slash Rules!

I got the design from Matt Cherry a (former?) member of this site. He seemed very happy with his results, and never mentioned noise. I don't understand why it worked for him and not for me.

I guess I could always go with the skateboard wheel configuration, though I don't feel like spending the money right now.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production