various Magic Bullet questions - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old June 12th, 2006, 08:00 PM   #91
Regular Crew

feature with magic bullet

Hey Folks,
I have a feature Im cutting in Vegas and doing color and stuff in After Effects. I want to know if I should take each individual clip into Magic Bullet and render it out 24 frams and re-assemble it in vegas, or should I do the whole movie? Also, should i change the audio playback rate or let it be? I would think there would be some offset.

Michael
Michael Estepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 08:51 PM   #92
Major Player

Michael,

It all depends on your workflow. Some people prefer to convert their raw footage and edit in pure 24p. Others just complete the project and run through MB at the end in one pass, it certainly cuts down on processing time that way. You can get away with this with MB, because it has decent scene detection (sometimes cuts do selectively bleed through to each other, though). Other 24p convertors, like DVFilm Maker, don't do such a good job with cuts, and will give you a blended frame or two.

One thing to note. If you edit in 60i with the intent to convert later, then your transitions, titles, effects, etc. will be rendered in interlaced, and won't look as good in the end as they would have if they were done in pure 24p. One option is to edit everything but the transitions, title, etc. and MB your 60i, take it back to editing for one last pass to add that stuff as pure 24p.

Josh
Joshua Provost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 01:41 PM   #93
Regular Crew

It's easy to Magic Bullet-ize the final edit when editing in Premiere, because you can open up your Premiere projects right into After Effects, and the clips appear as layers on the timeline. This avoids the blurred cuts/transitions problem, because you can apply Magic Bullet to each clip from within After Effect. I did it this way for my feature film, and it worked out great. Everything was edited in Premiere and then ported into AE for color correction and Magic Bullet-ing. Then exported as a hi-res QT file.

Automatic Duck might make a program that can move Vegas projects into After Effects like this. I know they make a program that does this for FCP. Otherwise, it seems as if your options are either to Bullet every clip and edit 24p in Vegas, or deal with the slight blurring between cuts if using a single AVI/QT file in After Effects. Neither sounds like much fun, to be honest.

Audio playback rate remains the same regardless. Never had any issues with this.

Good luck,
Ryan Graham
Director, "Livelihood"
www.livelihoodmovie.com
Ryan Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 04:39 PM   #94
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Graham
Audio playback rate remains the same regardless. Never had any issues with this.
True. We don't use 24 fps in NTSC countries for video. We use 23.976 fps. That lets us do the 3:2 thing without any slippage.

60i is 59.94 fields/s
60p is 59.94 frames/s
30p is 29.97 frames/s
24p video is 23.976 frames/s in NTSC land

It all scales nicely.

BTW, 60i used to really be 60 fields/s, back before they added the color subcarrier to video.
Old July 15th, 2006, 01:30 AM   #95
New Boot

Magic Bullet Installation Issues

I realize this is probably not the most appropriate topic for this forum, but I'm afraid I've grown desperate in my search for a solution.

I'm Having some trouble installing the Magic Bullet suite. When I get to the part where I'm supposed to click on the "auto setup" button, nothing happens. My suspicion is that it is partially installed in the wrong directory, as portions of other files are missing. Perhaps somebody could tell me where their magic bullet files are located in the After Effects directory? Or maybe there is another solution.

If you know anything about what I might be talking about, please respond. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Alexander Cooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 11:38 AM   #96
New Boot

Magic Bullet 24p vs. Premiere 25fps project

I've just recently managed to aquire an FX1 for some future productions I plan on filming. I use the adobe premium production studio for all of my post work. Last night I sat down with some footage I shot for testing and went to work trying to make it look like film. The 24p problem was the first obstacle to overcome, since I shot in 60i. Just for the hell of it, I imported it into a premiere project with the settings at 25 fps. A little color Correction here and there and in my opinion it looked great!

Am I just blind to the fact that it actually looks bad? Everything that I've read online says that you have to go with a program like Magic Bullet to convert it into a true 24p format. Is there that big of a difference between the bulleted 24p footage and the result that premiere produces when you drop it into a 25fps project? Perhaps some of you with a more trained eye could tell me.
Alexander Cooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 07:09 AM   #97
Major Player

I sort of agree. I've done some simple experiments with this at various points (I mix a lot of PAL and NTSC footage regularly and have gotten quite adept at handling issues) and think a much better 60i -> 24p workflow - if it looks/works for you - is to create 25p with what you've got instead.

To my eyes, 60/30/25 conforms a lot smoother than 60/30/24. The fields being reconstructed in 24p to take into consideration motion and time just look sketchy and bad (end up with that slight hyper real motion) whereas no real temporal reconstruction is needed with 25p. Yeah, there's a tad of judder, but for whatever reason it's a lot less noticable (maybe as everything is divided 'evenly' by 5 throughout the process the eyes glaze? - theres no introduced 'break' in motion) than using a 24p process. To then get 25p->24p I do the slow down.

I don't use Premiere (all Final Cut) but I routinely mix 60i, 50i and 25p footage to end up with 24p finished work. It's a lot of effort and a bit convoluted, but I think the result is (depending on the context and requirements) occasionally a little better.
Old August 12th, 2006, 11:03 PM   #98
Regular Crew

i just wished that they would just merge all video standards so we wouldnt have to be like "if i have 60i and 24p and wanted 908fps what do i use to convert to pal 1068p"
Nate Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 03:33 PM   #99
New Boot

Magic Bullet Help

I recently snagged a copy of magic bullet suite for after effects,and had some videos i recorded with a sony dsr pd100a and am using magic bullet for 24p conversion when i follow it into after effects and covert into 24p it doesn;t seem 24p and i use ntsc video. I shoot at 60i, and set after effects project files to 23.976fps. i apply magic bullet which inferences deintrlacing, with a lower field, Motion detection 20, and detail pattern 4. also deartifacting is 4:1:1 dvcam. can anyone help me?
James Johanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 07:24 PM   #100
Regular Crew

i think i may be having a similar problem my footage just doesnt look like it is deinterlaced so i dunno if anyone could help that would be great.
Jack Major is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production