Get a designer. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old January 16th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #1
Tourist

Get a designer.

In all this talk about "film look" their appears little or no reference to the role of the production designer in movie making.He/she is usually the 2nd or third person employed in the movie pipeline(forgetting accountants and the like.)
He is usualy well versed on film history/fim technology and the film making process.They can usually influence/suggest the look of the film via colour for sets and costumes and devices such as shot angles,framing(in conjunction with the cinematographer)and a multitude of other idea making suggestions.I worked on three film college films last year and was amazed at what little knowledge director/cameraman had of what my role was andwhat I could bring to these films.My old teacher of years ago told of a movie he worked on and the decision to spray paint one whole set red and shoot from high angles;this gave the impression on screen of a man trapped in an outback town in stifling heat.Simple choices of colour,lighting and camera position all contribute to this film look and in many ways have greater affect over post production and adapters.Put an add at your local film school's notice board for a designer and see what they can bring to your overall look;perhaps something truely unique.
Regards.
James Allen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production