Letterbox for 16:9 TV (Shooting 16:9) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old February 4th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Letterbox for 16:9 TV (Shooting 16:9)

Hello

I would like to have the widescreen effect of having the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen when I put onto DVD. Now I know I can add this in post, but I need to frame the image when shooting by putting black tape over the viewfinder or monitor, which I don’t want to do.

I’m shooting using the HD100 and with true 16:9 capabilities. When I look through the viewfinder the black bars are there. That’s what I would like to show up when I put on a 16:9 TV, but it doesn’t, it fills the whole screen.

What are the best ways of achieving this?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Simon
Simon Antoniou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 03:45 PM   #2
Major Player

If you're shooting 16:9 and playing back on a 16:9 TV you won't see the bars. You'll need to make your aspect ratio something smaller by applying a mask (unless the HD100 has some in-camera settings you can use). Try something like 1:1.85, that's what a lot of movies use, or 1:2.40 for a really wide effect
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 08:27 AM   #3
Regular Crew

However, you can still do it in post. I have not tried it with true 16:9 footage yet but with 4 :3 you will get the possibility and flexibility to position you footage up an down in order to match it perfectly between the bars.

Regards,
Margus
Margus Lillemagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #4
Major Player

I've done this in post. I composed my shots in 2:35 and shot in 16:9 HDV. I then applied the 2:35 matting in post for a pretty awesome picture. To do this just apply a matte on a seperate video track in your editing software. I built my own. It's really easy.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production