Summer & Dealing w/Vehicle Heat & Camcorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old March 7th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Summer & Dealing w/Vehicle Heat & Camcorder

I'd like to leave my camcorder (& mic, spare battery, and miniDV tapes) in my car all the time so I'll never be without it should I happen upon something I want to record.

I believe that I have the potential theft issues licked, but with spring and summer coming it's time to tackle the heat issues. I live in the South. Should I just give up on the idea?... Nah, I know some of you have some some good solutions for me...

I wouldn't see toting the camera indoors with me every time I get out of the car.
Sam Shore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #2
Inner Circle

My two cent.

1. A trunk can be tolerable, vs. the interior of a car which is being heated by the direct sunlight.

2. I've seen solar heated cooling fans on cars that will pull hot air out of car, while it is parked.

3. Park in shade.
Old March 7th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Sam,

I've made reflective shields for all my car and truck windows from that silver-air-buble insulation material. Then I have the "Vent Shades" installed on the side door windows to allow for the windows to be down about 1.5" to 2", to allow for air flow. Takes a minute to install, but really helps if you have to leave vehicle parked in sun for awhile.

Keeps the interior cooler and saves it from the sun damaging rays.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:12 PM   #4
Regular Crew

hrm..i'd wrap my camera in sweaters and pack it into a cooler(with no ice) and then put it in the trunk AND park in the shade. ..i mean, technically speaking, a cooler keeps the temperature inside of it relatively constant due to the insolation..think of it like a thermos, it can keep things hot or cold...and probably room temperature?..right?

it makes sense to me. haha
Bryan Wilkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 04:54 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Shore View Post
I believe that I have the potential theft issues licked
How? Have you got some clever anti-theft device that GM, BMW and the rest don't know about.

In terms of heat/humidity you need a well insulated, air tight case and be prepared to let the camera warm up/cool down when you change environments.

Oh and peel off the 'nick me' stickers and hide under a cheap looking sheet.

Liam.
Old March 8th, 2007, 06:34 AM   #6
Major Player

I'd use a cooler like the previous suggestion but throw in a couple of those freezer gel packs.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 08:30 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I think I'll try various combinations of them. I just remembered that I have a hi/lo thermometer, so I can test to see just how hot it gets say in a cooler in the trunk and up front. If gel packs are required, the trick would be to get into the habit of remembering to exchange them before leaving home.

I'd really like the camera to be up front w/me while I'm driving because you just never know when you might drive past a field and catch a cow doing a handstand. By the time I could park and dig the camera out of the trunk the cow would be like "wha? i'm just chewin' my cud here..." So I'd prefer to perfect a theft proof, heat safe solution for the interior over having to remember to get the camera and put it away after and before every stop I make. That may just be wanting too much, but I'll check out all angles w/the hi/lo thermometer.
Sam Shore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 10:48 AM   #8
Major Player

I don't know what camera you plan on using, but if it is small (Elura, ZR, PVGS, HC, etc...), I would recommend getting a small case that can fit on your belt. I have seen these at target, and they are small, cheap, weather proof, lightweight, and theft proof because it is always on you! I plan on getting one in the next month or so, and so I can take it everywhere (I use the elura 100).

Other then that, I would say get a pelican case and keep it hidden in your car when you are at a stop and then put it on your passenger seat when you start driving.

Heres a few cases from B&H.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

And this is the one I think I will be buying (Sorry for the target link! B&H did not have it). This one does not have a belt loop, but you can use a few D-Clips to get it to work. Or just sew a belt loop on it. http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B0009612FW

It also helps if you are driving a cheap, old, beat up car (if you go with the case in the car thing)! lol.
~Gabriel
Old March 8th, 2007, 11:39 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Shore View Post
I'd really like the camera to be up front w/me while I'm driving because you just never know when you might drive past a field and catch a cow doing a handstand.

I would like to keep my camera ready on the front seat. More that once I have wanted it handy to capture an immediate event. Alas, my wife insists on riding in that seat....
Old March 30th, 2007, 01:03 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I'm hoping it's not the desert southwest...
I parked under the shade, cracked my windows an inch, and came back 2 hours later. What I found was an internal piece had fried in my 35mm SLR making it useless and the glues of my professional guitar had melted and come apart...quite an expensive mistake!
I think an insulated foam box or cooler would work, though.
Old March 30th, 2007, 12:11 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Depending on the size of the camera the small portable "ice chest/cooler" is a decent idea - Used a larger one with wheels to cart my gear before. I'd think carefully about the gel packs.... = condensation???

I figure someone thinking they might score a six pack on a hot day is less worrisome than someone looking to score a several hundred dollar camera... a little more discreet, but perhaps no more effective than those silly "key rocks" for you to stick in your yard if you can't remember not to lock yourself out... nothing is "theftproof", just better than leaving it laying in plain sight...

And definitely consider carefully the ambient temperature and conditions - as a guitar builder/repairman, I'll affirm Art's observations - I get a few instruments every year that have rearranged themselves whilst in someone's vehicle "for a few minutes". Heat can rise in MINUTES to well over 120 degrees, and that's air temp... surfaces... ouch.

I would suspect elctronics are a touch more durable, but ANYTHING can be melted if in direct sunlight in a vehicle (worse if it's in a BLACK case...). Even the color of your vehicle could be a factor, so appropriate thermometer testing is probably good, and test ALL vehicles and locations.

A white ice chest around a small backpack (take a look at M-Rock bags too)you can grab easily should give you the best of everything IF you have a smaller camera (that about describes my "portable grab and go" setup).

DB>)
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 11:11 PM   #12
Regular Crew

or you could make a custom box...cut the foam so your equipment fits...just make sure it's real foam insulation

I guess that guitar wasn't so great...an Alvarez 12 string I think...the cam I bought an a fleamarket...what happened of course is the sun moved while I was gone putting the car back in direct sunlight...toasting everything inside...guessing around 150 degrees

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production