Spraypaint on walls help? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old April 6th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #1
New Boot

Spraypaint on walls help?

Hi everyone - my current project calls for the interior of a bedroom to have some words sprayed on the walls. Obviously I don't want to use actual spraypaint, so I was wondering if anybody knew of any techniques to achieve this effect?

Cheers!
Gary Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:11 AM   #2
Regular Crew

If you're using just static shots and not moving the camera around in the room, you may want to photoshop the graphics on the walls; and really depending on what programs you use, you could even track them with some camera movement. Adding actors to the mix, will complicate it a bit, but you can do it.
Travis Binkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 07:26 AM   #3
Major Player

I the walls are white you could try painting on white paper and then carfully taping it up. Otherwise you could try paiting on matte clear plastic. Just be careful of reflections. Mostly you should budget (time and cost) for a repaint of the room if you need to put up a lot of words.
Bill Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #4
New Boot

Heh, the budget is £0 and it's in a rented room... I think that I shall shoot the scene twice: once without anything on the wall so I can insert the message in post, and once with the message panted onto clear plastic. Then I can choose which method turns out the best results.

Thanks for the help :)
Gary Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 03:26 AM   #5
Trustee

There is a product sold around Halloween that is a temporary hair coloring that is supposed to easily wash out. It is a spray, so maybe it will stick to a wall? It is very inexpensive and a pre-test should tell you if it will work.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 07:35 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Go to the local costume shop or hardware store.

Ask for water-based spraypaint that can be washed off.

You could also try to find a large mirror or picture to hang on the wall temporarily and spraypaint THAT.
Tim OBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #7
Major Player

I know you said that your budget is 0, but if you could scape together a few bucks (quid?), but maybe see about buying a roll of seamless paper and cutting it to fit the wall. At about 3 meters wide I would think that it should cover all of the wall that would be in frame. Just a thought...
Old April 13th, 2007, 03:42 AM   #8
New Boot

Thanks for all the useful replies. Luckily I'm not filming this for another couple of months, so I've got plenty of time to experiement with the suggested techniques.
Gary Adams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production