Achieving the "Film-Look" - Camera Settings vs Post Production at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old April 19th, 2007, 01:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Achieving the "Film-Look" - Camera Settings vs Post Production

Alright here's the short version. In about a month or so I'll be upgrading from my Sony VX2100 to a Panasonic DVX100B and have been fascinated with several of the film-looks out there today. Most notably the faded yet crisp colors of shows like "Rescue Me" and ESPN's "Timeless" series.

My question is which would be better in the process of making DV look like film; using the on-camera settings, using post production filters, or both? My biggest concern is possibly losing the vibrant color qualities that can be captured on the cam though to achieve my desired effect I would just be removing or fading them in post.

What has worked for you?
Robb Swiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 02:31 AM   #2
New Boot

The Dvx is a great camera, using them at school, then purchising one, then only putting abut 30hrs on it , now im about to sell it with out any use. Truth is, It is a SD camera, and colors are limited, out of all the SD cameras ive ever used, the dvx100b has the most vibrent colors, but SD has nothing close on HD or HDV cams. they are in a differnt catagory for a reason. If your looking not wanting to go HD. the dvx will give you more options then any other SD camera for movie looks. I made a few fetures that one of them won a film festival. When my short was screened, people where asking what 16mm camera i used. it was a black and white film. But i used the knee and Cine D modes still then converting to B&W in post and enhancing and giving grain to it so it looked like a great 16mm film. People couldnt beleave it was a SD cam. I use/ed(moving to to FCP) Magic bullet v2 and got great results. but i have now found a great cam im saving for(need to sell the DVX) and that is the canon XH A1, having 24f. while not be progressive, i thought it looked just as good. You must remember that the "Film Look" is hardly gamma and knee options as it is DOF. if your not getting a 35mm adaptor you will have a hard time acheaving this look that had everyone fooled at my filmfestival thinking i was shooting on 16mm. Brevis35 is the one i barrowed. worked out great. if you cant afford one just rememeber on the 100b f.2.8 z99 will give you max DOF. this is all i have to say. if you have any further questions email me at jonneelyfilms@yahoo.com and/or if you are intrested in a dvx package that is like new. just send me your questions.
Jon Neely is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production