back projection using video projectors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old May 11th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #1
Major Player

back projection using video projectors

Hi,
Has anyone tried setting up back projection using a video projector? I want to do the classic "actor sitting in the back of a car with the road disappearing behind him" shot, and I'm reluctant to do greenscreen as I am going for a very shallow depth of field with some handheld movement. Any ideas/suggestions would be useful
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #2
Wrangler

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Somewhere there's a thread around here about people doing this... I had to film a little sequence with a model helicopter and I did it in front of my plasma screen instead of compositing it. Looked fine.

But I just read a big article somewhere recently (maybe American Cinematographer?) about how Hollywood is using digital projection for this a lot now with the advent of higher resolution projectors.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 03:25 AM   #3
Inner Circle

You shouldn't have too many difficulties with that shot, although you'll need to make sure your video projector is powerful enough and you've got a large enough studio for the throw. You'll want to avoid having a hot spot in the centre of the screen, so you may want to use a longer focal length projection lens. Also, ensure your screen is big enough for your planned shot: if you're shooting handheld, wide angle lenses show a lot of background.

If it's a daylight scene, I'd expect you'll find the problem will be flagging the stray light from the back projection scene.

http://www.cinematography.net/Pages%...ectedImage.htm

It would be a good idea to do a test first.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 04:40 AM   #4
Major Player

You could also try running the projector slightly out of focus. That will give you the shallower depth you're looking for, as well increasing the perceived resolution of the projection, because you won't pick up the individual pixels. :)

Here's something that may work. Using a super wide angle lens and/or fish-eye type of effect, you can make the image bulge in the center. Then using a projection screen that you can wrap, project into it maybe from above the car aimed down and adjusted for trapezoidal effects. Then you might get a wider looking world behind the car, and if you change camera shooting angles, it may give more depth to the background.

You could also try using the projector to project blue or green, which would be more even than a blue or green screen.

Eric
Eric Shepherd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production