Question regarding release paperwork at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old June 15th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #1
Major Player

Question regarding release paperwork

When interviewing people at a public place, how do you handle the situation when you have people in the background? No releases are possible in this scenario...the people we interview will sign releases but I'd like to know what the "rules" are...

Best Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 06:25 PM   #2
Major Player

Typically the "rule" is you have to get a release if they are speaking on camera, "interview." As far as anyone in the background during that interview they are fair game. You could "blur" around your interview in post, but not really necessary. "Man on the street" interviews are conducted all the time with people passing in the background, and releases are only needed for the person speaking on camera.
Old June 15th, 2007, 09:49 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the reply.

That's what I was thinking but wanted to get some input from the forum.

I visited your website. Nice to know of you. I'm closer to Daytona area myself. How's the conference work for you? I was attending a conference recently and discovered they did not have anyone taking care of media for them. Hopefully, for the next year's conference I will be able to cover the videotaping for them.

Appreciate your input.

Best Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Bennett View Post
When interviewing people at a public place, how do you handle the situation when you have people in the background? No releases are possible in this scenario...the people we interview will sign releases but I'd like to know what the "rules" are...

Best Regards,
Lisa

I am not a lawyer but I would expect it to depend in part on the ultimate use of the footage. If it's legitimate journalism I don't think there would be any issues. If it's for an entertainment feature like, say, a "Borat"-style mocumentary, you better get releases from everyone who is recognizable. For a typical documentary it probably straddles a middle ground. But from a practical standpoint, if you're seeking feature distribution or television broadcast, they're probably going to want to CYA and demand to see releases before buying your film even if strictly speaking they're not required by law.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production