BBC film look article at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old May 23rd, 2003, 02:11 AM   #1
Outer Circle

BBC film look article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/whp/index.html
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2003, 05:45 AM   #2
Major Player

Wow what an article, anybody care to do an english translation?

Zac
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2003, 10:16 AM   #3
Trustee

I can't seem to access the article, if anyone has it, I'd appreciate if they could email it to me at jrod@mindspring.com with the subject "Film Look".

Thanks

Jason Rodriguez
Jason Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2003, 10:30 AM   #4
Major Player

I have just been on the site, around the time you posted your message and downloaded it without any problems. I WOULD send you it, but its too big for an attachment with my email account. If you go to the site to download, its pretty slow and its a big file pushing 2.33MBs so It'll take a while. Sometimes it seems like the screen is freezing as you move to another screen then try to go back to download page. But I found this common with PDF downloads that download as you view page by page. So just be patient I guess.
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2003, 11:55 AM   #5
Major Player

I downloaded without any trouble (which is more than can be said for understanding it!)

Jason, I've e-mailed it to you, but if you have any problems, let me know and I'll try zipping it.

nigel[at]truffy[dot]com

Cheers
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2003, 12:41 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I have been having trouble downloading pdf files and also opening attachments lately. Could anyone e-mail me the article? But please copy-and-paste it. It'd be great if someone could do that.

Thank you.

Stylianos Moschapidakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2003, 01:06 PM   #7
Major Player

Ahem. Well, I started reading it and quickly got bogged down in the math and the graphs. I have an engineering degree so I am sure if I sat down and worked my way through I'm sure I could make sense of it. Do I have the time? That is another question entirely.

Skipping ahead to the conclusions, they are simplier if not necessarily much more useful. Shoot in progressive mode. Set-up the camera gamma corrrector, black stretch and knee controls in a lab as it cannot be reliably done in the field. Roughly the same comment on MTF and skin tones. DOF, do the best you can. BBC has heard of but hasn't tested the mini-35 adapter.

So an interesting if not necessary practical white paper.
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2003, 02:57 PM   #8
Trustee

Hey Thanks Nigel for the email.

BTW, I found it very interesting where he describes how the contrast range of high-end video cameras is equal to film. The only problem he mentions though is since the gamma in video is not distributed linearly as in film, you basically have to underexpose a couple stops and do a color correction to get the same percived exposure lattitude of film. In otherwords, there's a ton of unused lattitude in the blacks, and it's noise that limits the use of that range of the curve. So basically he was saying that if you expose a video camera normally, you aren't using the full exposure range of the camera, leading many people to believe that there isn't that much lattitude in video when there in fact is. At least that's what I got out of it.

Jason
Jason Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2003, 07:43 PM   #9
Permanently Banned

I did not read it fully, but here are some highlights. The paper claims that HD and high-end SD cameras can have the same latitude as film, however the curve is very nonlinear. (IMHO the non-linearity would make that wide a range more or less useless. In actuality only Thompson Viper and CineAlta SR can claim same latitude as film.) They suggest using progressive scan with speed similar to film -- 24p, 25p, 30p too would be OK. They said that 2/3" cameras have the same DOF as Super 16 mm film and suggested using Mini 35 adaptor but have not tested it. They have some suggestions that would be useless, as they would increase noise too much. The government owns BBC and they gave some researchers write the paper. No new conclusions really.
Joseph George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2003, 09:09 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Highly technical but good info, probably have to re-read it a couple of times. Thanks for sharing.
Akos Szemenyei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2003, 09:51 PM   #11
Trustee

According to the April American Cinematography article on the DVX100 though, the CineGamma feature is a pure linear response curve, with no black compression or knee. It's not, as the name suggests, a gamma curve that is applied to the video to make in more film-like. Supposedly the curve is a straight line so that when taken to film, the film will impose it's own response curve on the image instead of trying to counteract the video gamma of the camera. So would this type of Gamma curve offset the nonlinearity of normal video gamma that wastes so much dynamic range?

Jason Rodriguez
Jason Rodriguez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production