Hi from Alberta, Canada at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old February 23rd, 2002, 12:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Hi from Alberta, Canada

Well, the day I have been waiting for is almost here. Tomorrow I'll make the two hour drive to Calgary to pick up my new XL1s. This has been a dream for me going on five years and I am finally going to actually start working with video. I've always been interested in nature and history. Some one once advised "WRITE WHAT YOU KNOW" - I want to video what I know.
I don't really remember how my interest in video started. I would buy my monthly issue of Videomaker and read all of the articles. I checked out all of the camcorders and linear equipment available (at that time). It all seemed interesting, but somehow unwieldy and not quite what I wanted. Then one day ( I think it was in '97?) I saw the Canon XL1 on the cover of Videomaker magazine. I was totally blown away. Perhaps I am being naive, but I came to believe that we were on the dawn of a new age. The advent of relatively affordable video equipment and NLE's was about to trigger a revolution in film making and broadcast video. Average people like me might have a voice if they were creative and skilled enough. That revolution has been slower than I thought in coming - especially for me.
Lack of money and working a "straight job" have made it a slow grind just getting started. The delays have probably been a good thing though. The editing technology has become more reliable and I have had a chance to research both my subjects and the technology.
I have followed the XL1 Watchdog almost since it's inception and it has been an invaluable aid. When I read the introductions on this bulliten board, I see a wide range of people from around this world. There are some who have spent their lives in this medium and other novices, like me - with only our ideas and enthusiasm (and our fears!). This forum gives us all a chance to learn.
Sooner or later it's time to get one's feet wet and I look forward to a year of both fun and hard work. Let's see if I'm still so starry-eyed this time next year. Wish me luck!
Old February 23rd, 2002, 01:35 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Welcome Phil!

My wife and I recently returned from a week in Banff, a vacation we've taken each year for nearly a decade. We're not skiers but, rather, we just enjoy the majestic scenery and occasional wildlife in the winter up there. (We got some great footage this year, too!) We're actually considering a visit when it thaws-out!

Congratulations on your journey thus far. It sounds like you've worked hard and thoughtfully to get to this point. I'm sure I am not alone when I say that I feel your excitement. Most of us know the feeling.

Since you're a long-time visitor the Chris' Watchdog you probably know as much about this place as we do. It's really one of the best, if not -the- best, XL1/XL1s resources on the Net. I'm sure that we'd love to hear about your initial work with your new camera and, of course, any questions with which folks here might be able to help.

Welcome, again, Phil. Go magnetize some DV tape and tell a story!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2002, 08:55 AM   #3
RED Code Chef

I must agree with Ken (don't we always Ken? Hahahaha),
the excitement can be felt and is well known by ourselfs.
I wish you luck with your new path and keep us updated!

Welcome aboard!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2002, 10:08 AM   #4
Trustee

you're a lucky man Phil. Living in one of the most beautiful places on earth. Alberta is an amazing place full of video and photo opportunites. I really miss it's rolling plains and snowy mountains. I can't wait to get back there again soon.

Where exactly do you live, I lived in Fernie for a while and have friends in Lethbridge, where I learn't to skate.

welcome, i hope you enjoy your camera.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2002, 10:17 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Welcome aboard, Phil! Let us know how you like the camera.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2002, 01:44 PM   #6
Major Player

Welcome aboard, Phil. Like Ken, I, too, have visited southern Alberta quite a bit. When I lived in Spokane, I was climbing chair for the Spokane Mountaineers. Frequently, we took the "guppies" up the Icefields for the graduation climb. Mt. Athabasca was the usual target, but sometimes the weather & avalanches in May didn't cooperate. It was always a nice trip, though.

Enjoy the camera -- the more you use it, the more you'll discover.
Old February 24th, 2002, 07:43 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks

Thanks for the encouragement, everybody! It's nice to see some of you have visited our neck of the woods. In answer to Adrian's question - I live in a small hamlet in what's cosidered central Alberta. We are situated in the Aspen Parkland ecosystem. The topography is of the knob-and-kettle variety with thousands of small lakes and ponds in the area. In the spring huge flocks of waterfowl will return to nest in what has been called the "Duck Factory". I grew up in Calgary and we (my wife Bev and I) spend much time each summer in southern Alberta and our beloved mountains - camping, hiking and fishing. We also visit our neighbouring province; beautiful British Columbia for several weeks - usually the Kootenay region with which you are familiar.

I have managed to spend some time familiarizing myself with my new XL1s over the last two days and have shot a couple of minutes of video. I'm enjoying every minute of it and I will check in later with some observations...and maybe a few questions.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood