G'day from Sydney Australia at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old January 1st, 2002, 05:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

G'day from Sydney Australia

Howdy, I live down in Bega, dairy farm country, on the far south coast of New South Wales. How lucky. Life is good in Australia. Good to see what the brothers are doin in the States. Good work Chris etc etc. Got some great info etc off the Community. On my second cannon XL1 (XL1s). Shoot lots of wildlife & corporate stuff. They (the cameras) have been very good to me & I've been very bad to them. I use a fully optioned XL1s, but still need a steadicam etc. Lots of marine life footage. Just made a fairly substantial sale to the BBC of Brydes whales in WA. Another sale in the wind for Discovery, of Humpbacks & tiger sharks. My Xl1 took over 600 tapes. It stopped the other day. Will fix. It had the Wide angle lens on it. Slung over the shoulder, I could grab it instead of doing a lens change. When you're doing wildlife, time is short. The XL1s ran a bit red initially, but presets fixed that. Never run a mic on the camera, unless there's lots of surrounding noise & the monitor issue is big. Should just buy a B&W viewfinder. Would love to come to the States to buy some gear. Where I live you can't even buy tapes. I buy boxes of them at once by mail order. Cheers & happy New year everyone. Sure feels good not using Sony products. Pete Constable Australia
Pete Constable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2003, 12:55 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Cold down here in Sydney

yup.. winters coming..
i came across this site by accident, and ill prolly hang around now :)

nice to meet u all!
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2003, 01:39 PM   #3
Outer Circle

Glad you found it! How cold is cold? 15 C?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 11:25 AM   #4
RED Code Chef

Welcome aboard Peter!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2003, 12:25 AM   #5
Inner Circle

thanx guys :)

winters comin in so teh wedding season is slowing a while.. gives me time to rebuild the studio at least LOL

this site is something...
My friends and i run a board www.austech.info which covers alot of technicalical based discussions, and when i came here, i felt at home...

Really nice and great help throughout :)
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2003, 12:33 AM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Gald to see you here, Peter.

Hard to imagine it's cold there when spring is in full bloom here. Keep bundled up while rebuilding the studio.

We'll see you on the boards.
Old May 10th, 2003, 07:15 AM   #7
Major Player

How can you say Syndey is cold, it may be wet and humid but not cold. But in Melbourne, it is cooling down a lot, i believe it was 10C the other night, brrr.

:)

Zac

ps. good to see more sorta local people on board.
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2003, 07:29 AM   #8
Trustee

I used to think Melbourne was cold, that was until I went to Canada for the winter. I was in a warmer part of Canada, Eastern BC, and it was -35 C. My friend in Winterpegg said the air temp was -45 C with a 50km/h wind that was even colder. I was kinda glad to go back to the mild Australian "winter".
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2003, 07:31 AM   #9
Major Player

Adrian i don't live in a cold place, because i don't want too, heh heh

Nowhere except for very high in the mountains is extremely cold in Australia, who needs the cold anyways.

Zac
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2003, 04:32 PM   #10
Inner Circle

TGFF (Thank God for Florida) hehehe.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2003, 07:34 AM   #11
Trustee

The day I left for Canada it was 34 degrees at Coolangatta Airport, when I arrived in Calgary it was -20, when I got to Fernie it was -30. A 60 degree temperature differance in less than 24 hours. No wonder I spent the next week inside, at least there was a James Bond festival playing on cable.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2003, 12:17 AM   #12
Tourist

New from OZ !!!

Hey People,

Just registered today. Living in Sydney, Australia.

Been shooting surf footage (as a hobbie) for the last 5 years and mucking around with it on premiere. Recently I have had a few professional vid makers offer to buy footage off me , hence I would like to get a bit more serious. My panasonic nv-dx100 is getting a bit ancient and I think its time to upgrade.

Compared to the rest of you I am a mere novice, so would like to get some feedback. Has anyone out there had any experience shooting surf footage before ?

Am tossing up between gl2/xm2 and the vx2000. Have read plenty of comparisons/reviews but am thinking the gl2/xm2 purely for the 20x optical zoom (needed for shooting surf footage) and the fact that it would be smaller and easier to use in the water (with a housing that is). Can anyone offer any other suggestions ?

Thanks
Jeremy Greive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2003, 01:20 AM   #13
Outer Circle

Say hello to my brother-in-law, my buddy Dez and Stuart from Pana AU, would you? Yes, it's a small world. Welcome aboard!

One fellow I know uses a PD150 with a Century tele adaptor for his surfing videos, but I assume that the XM2 should be just fine with its 20X zoom (stabilized with a tripod).
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2003, 04:16 AM   #14
RED Code Chef

or monopod....

Welcome aboard Jeremy! Not all of us are "seasoned" pro's! Your
amongt a lot of people who are finding their ways and learning
the "ropes".

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2003, 05:07 AM   #15
Major Player

OT, I'm afraid...

But my wife and I got engaged on the Manly ferry in May 2001. It was slashing down (read: raining heavily) but there were still surfers out at Manly beach. I guess they couldn't get any wetter anyway!
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood