Connecticut Filmmaker at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old October 6th, 2001, 06:47 AM   #1
Contributor

Connecticut Filmmaker

First, kudos again to Chris Hurd for bringing the worldwide DV community together. You'd think the Watchdog would be enough of an accomplishment for one lifetime, but not for this over-achiever!

I am a documentary filmmaker who resides in Stamford, CT, which is about 35 miles outside of New York City. I have a Mac G-4 with fcp and several camcorders, including a Canon XL-1. I have won many major awards, including an Emmy and a New York Film Festival award for Best Director.

My most recent project was a one hour documentary film titled "Outwitting Hitler". I sold it domestically to Showtime Networks and internationally to Ardent Productions. You can read my Videography magazine articles about it if you go to the XL-1 page at Canon's website.
Chris Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2001, 03:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Downloaded the Videography article from the Canon site and really looking forward to reading it.

I'm a screenwriter looking to put my stories in a visual format but enjoy documentary work. Any tips on doc styles vs. feature style from a "behind the camera" perspective?
Wayde Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2001, 01:31 PM   #3
Contributor

Wow, that's a really touch question. They are such different animals, movies and docs. My style, if you can call it that , is quite conventional, but the stories I tell are very unconventional.

In movies, I suppose I'd compare it to Hitchock, who used a simple subjective style to pull the audience into the shoes of the protagonist. In docs, I'd compare my style to that of Errol Morris.

Although my background is very mainstream, I believe in film there are no boundaries....
Old January 9th, 2002, 05:39 PM   #4
Machinist Mate

Hey Chris Ward, you really are literally in my n'hood! I am in Westport! (skulking in the lower level of my office building, right near the mailroom... I call my office "the cave")
Just curious, have you tried FCP 3 yet or did you already have the Matrox card? I am getting really tired of the render times. Even though I don't use a lot of fancy transitions and don't do heavy compositing on most of my pieces, it still gets old even waiting for lower thirds and simple dissolves to render. And this is on a 6 month old G4!

cheers
mike
Old January 9th, 2002, 06:43 PM   #5
gratedcheese

Chris:

I've read the article about your documentary on the Canon website. Was wondering if you might share with us a little bit about how (and when) you got started in your documentary work.

-- Alan
Old January 11th, 2002, 06:32 AM   #6
Contributor

Getting started

I worked on entertainment pieces for Showtime before moving into documentary work about 8 years ago. This is what I love and will probably do for the rest of my life. By the way, "Outwitting Hitler," my latest DV production, may be screened at the Holocaust museum in Washington. I'll let DVinfo know when the dates are firm.

I just purchased FCP3 but haven't had a chance to use it yet.
Old September 9th, 2004, 05:56 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Anyone in Connecticut

Hey!
New Milford CT resident here. Any GL2 owners in CT? Just looking for people who enjoy the same profession / hobby as I do. :-)

I am 21 and do Camerawork IE: Catch breaking news events in my area, well try to. Also videos for local events. We recently had a Rolex Vintage Car Festival at Lime Rock Park, With Austin Healy's BMW etc. Im currently editing a video I did of it. Just trying to get a good portfilio made up so eventually I can get my foot in the door.
Kevin Galliford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2004, 06:56 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hey Kevin! I'm in new fairfield! (across the lake!) just ramped up my production company after several years out of the biz... i have an XL1S pkg. we should get together and help each other out (i need crew members for free lance projects which will give you the experience you want). i have about 17 years in the industry and am looking to get back in big time! check my web site out to see my demo at www.zenimage.com

email me from the web site and we'll get together!

BTW what editing software?
good luck!
Marc Sacco
Old September 29th, 2004, 07:36 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Back in the Biz, now in connecticut!

hello everybody! i've been roaming these forums for a while now and realized i hadnt introduced myself! i have about 17 years in the industry (in Florida and worldwide!) in one form or another ( the last 10 years i had to have a "real" job to support the family but continued to do a freelance gig or two as well as my graphics and animation all the while waiting for the right time to leap back in!) now is the time and here I am!! i have a canon xl1s pkg with 16x manual lens and 3x wide angle lens. all the necessary accessories and a NLE editor. (i also am building a steadicam type device designed by cody deegan that will be available soon!) anyway, i have tons of experience in every position (having worked my way up from PA to producer/director!) and i am ready to get working! (i have a valid passport and i'm not afraid to use it!) so check out my online demo at www.zenimage.com and if you need a producer, director, DP, editor, graphic designer, or writer and have something for a budget, lets talk!

its great to have this forum to meet other like minded people!
thanks for looking
Marc Sacco
Old November 6th, 2004, 12:45 AM   #10
Wrangler

Hey!
Welcome to the forum Marc!
Old November 6th, 2004, 06:47 AM   #11
Regular Crew

thanks Dylan! i was getting a bit lonely cause nobody said hi! i have made great contacts on this forum and have really had a great time chatting with many of the people here. it is by far the best resource i have come across ever. i wish i had this type of access when i started in the business in 1987! congrats to chris and all the wranglers for making this the best forum on the web!!

i am ready to crank it up! lets get moving!!!!

thanks,
marc
Old June 25th, 2005, 06:37 PM   #12
Trustee

Southington, CT - Need Studio Space?

Hi,

I'm an independent producer (mostly special interest/instructional) with studio facilities an HDV equipment.

If you're in the central Connecticut area, let's talk. Share knowledge and resources.

Paul Cascio
860-940-9262 Work/Cell

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood