Howdy from Austin, Texas - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old August 9th, 2006, 02:21 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Not quite Austin but an hour away, Waco here
Shedrick Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 06:05 PM   #32
New Boot

Coming to Austin

I plan on coming to Austin in September to check out the scene and decide if I would like to settle there. I do a lot of Macintosh audio recording and engineering as well as shooting (Canon XL1) and editing in Final Cut.

What are some of the things I should check out while there?

If you were moving to Austin what part of the metro area has the most potential (or is convenient for) media (video, audio, music) work?

Thanks,
Old August 10th, 2006, 08:21 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Bob,

Check out the Austin Film Society: http://www.austinfilm.org/

The City and the State promote the "film" industry and there is typically a major feature in production somewhere close by, usually at Austin Studios, which is supported by the Austin Film Society and the City.

Also Austin is the "Live Music Capital" and there truly is a very active live music scene, as well as a very active recording scene in Austin. The center of the club scene is 6th street but there are venues all over.

Most Texans would like to live in Austin. There's plenty of water recreation (boating and lakes). There are several views, like Mount Bonnell, the Oasis (a restaurant, bar on Lake Travis, and lots of other lake side restaurants, most with live music. There are several universities here, with the University of Texas having the largest student body of any university in the US.

Austin is a high-tech center with lots of startups and major corporations. It is also easy, two to three hour drive, to get to Dallas, Houston or San Antonio.

I live in a suburb. Austin is small enough (compared to Dallas, Houston or San Antonio) that your location should not be a factor in your pursuit of business. Having said that, the more central you are the easier it is to access everything.

The owner of this forum (Chris Hurd) lives in San Marcos, which is just a very few miles down I35.
Old August 11th, 2006, 05:27 PM   #34
New Boot

Thanks Jesse for the link and information. I'm impressed by the activities and film faciities that Austin has developed. I'm sure it will be an interesting visit.
Old August 11th, 2006, 08:26 PM   #35
New Boot

Also in Austin

Hi People,

I am in Austin and run an independent film company...don't we all. I am gearing up to do a no budget feature at the end of the month into September a little and I am looking for some great deals on equipment. I own a DVX100a and a Canon XL-H1(we are shooting the film in hdv on the latter) and I am trying to find a few things - not through a rental house - as I am trying to cut all corners possible and they tend to be expensive unless they know you. Would anyone be willing to part with a 4x4 matt box for the canon xlh1, a monitor, a hand held monitor, any "indie light kit", or any kind of dolly for the last two weeks in August and a few days in September? Throw some prices/suggestions/contacts my way. I am also looking for people who would like to come on board in some capacity for deferred. I know most people do not like this so I won't be offended if you tear into my post but we are just trying to put all the little amount of money we have into the equipment...and it is only a little.

We already have some indie lighting and a sound kit but we are looking to supplement this with some other items.
Old August 17th, 2006, 10:59 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Ole Jim here is in the ATX.

(edit: Jonestown to be exact).
Jim OQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2006, 10:59 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Meeting

Anyone in the Austin area interested in a casual get together to network, talk about the trade and discuss film, video, etc. in the area?
Old September 10th, 2006, 07:40 AM   #38
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Redman
Anyone in the Austin area interested in a casual get together to network, talk about the trade and discuss film, video, etc. in the area?
Count me in.
Old September 11th, 2006, 03:15 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Jim,

It's you and me, so far.

Anyone else interested in starting up a mutual interest group?

OR is there one already meeting?
Old September 11th, 2006, 03:36 PM   #40
Regular Crew

I'm open

Count me in for getting together.

have a lot of interest to offer, but not much experience.

Don
Donald White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 01:31 PM   #41
Regular Crew

The Austin Network Mixer meets on the 2nd and last Wednesday of each month at Mother Egan's Irish Pub.

I'll be there tomorrow (Sept 13th).

The Texas Association of Film/Tape Professionals has teamed up with Screen Door Film to present an all industy networking and entertainment event. Speakers there will include Rebecca Campbell of the Austin Film Society, Bob Hudgins the Texas Film Commissioner, and Chuck Hatcher (TAF/TP President)

Jim

---------------------------------------------------------

This is from the Aug 30th meeting:

Dear Film Fans,
The next meeting of The Network Austin Mixer is on August 30, 2006 at 6:30 PM. We look forward to your attendance. Tell your clients and associates.

WHAT: The Network Austin Mixer
WHEN: Wednesday August 30 from 6:30 PM – Till Late
WHERE: Mother Egan’s Irish Pub – 715 West 6th St. Austin, TX
WHO: Everyone involved in film… and YOU!
SPEAKER: Bob Hudgins, Director of the Texas Film Commission at 7 PM

Before joining the Texas Film Commission as director in December 2005, Bob Hudgins was Deputy Director of the Illinois Film Office for eight years. Projects that he helped bring to Illinois include ROAD TO PERDITION, SPIDERMAN 2, BATMAN BEGINS and the Fox TV series PRISON BREAK. From 1985 to 1998, he was a freelance film location manager on projects including FIELD OF DREAMS, PLANES, TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES, MICHAEL (filmed in central Texas), WAYNE’S WORLD, RUDY, and GROUNDHOG DAY. As the director of the Texas Film Commission, Bob is using his years of experience and his extensive network of industry contacts to increase film and television production in all parts of Texas. This year, Bob has been pleased to welcome a number of major projects to Texas, including Season Two of PRISON BREAK, the new NBC series FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS and an untitled feature from director Kimberley Peirce, her first in Texas since the Academy Award-winning BOYS DON’T CRY.

The Network Austin Mixer meets on the second and last Wednesdays of the month. This is a great networking opportunity. Meet actors, writers, filmmakers, producers, agents, directors, crew members, everyone involved in film. At least once a month we have speakers who have made their mark in the industry. So mark your calendar, join us and bring friends!

Gary L. Wimmer for The Network Austin Mixer
http://www.garywimmer.com/
Old October 6th, 2006, 04:41 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Austin Film Festival

Don’t know if this is the right place to post this.

Is anyone else going to the Austin Film Festival? Any good tips for a first timer?

-Kris
Kris Galuska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 09:54 PM   #43
DVi Contributor

have fun, stop by the Austin Film Society offices ath the austin Studios, and stop By GEAR rental house and say hi. that where I work
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 05:16 PM   #44
Regular Crew

Where is Gear located?
Kris Galuska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 06:24 PM   #45
RED Code Chef

First hit on "gear rental" (nice one Craig!) gave:

4822 East Cesar Chavez St. Austin, TX 78702

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood