Hello from Bolingbrook, IL! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old March 18th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Hello from Bolingbrook, IL!

Hi there everybody! Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Ralph and I am from Bolingbrook, IL. (30 minutes outside of Chicago). After having lurched the DV info boards for a few weeks now and finally getting my registration, I figured what the heck, I need to jump into the conversation and begin getting to know you all. The boards here are so overwhelming for a newbie like myself and I find myself sometimes not even sure where to begin sometimes. After reading so many positive and supporting comments on here, I think that this is a great place to begin!

A bit about my background. I am an IT tech by day, my current job is as an IT Asset Manager. I have been interested in video and multimedia for many years but have only dabbled here and there over the years. I've made a few amateurish (from looking back at them) looking videos for my departments at work. They were well received, but I know I can do so much better. I have recently decided to get more serious about my video hobby and would like to eventually do it professionally, perhaps doing special events or other such small projects.

For equipment, I'm currently using equipment that I already have. 8mm Canon Analog (yuck) camcorder with Pinnacle Studio 10.6. I have a fairly new or should I say newer pc P4 core duo 3ghz processor, 1GB Ram and two serial HDD's totalling 280GB. My thinking is that until I can upgrade my equipment, I'm needing to focus on improving my shooting skills and better develop the ability to get good footage. Based on your own experience, is that a good place to begin?
Ralph Gereg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:21 AM   #2
Major Player

Ralph,

Welcome - I'm not too far from you. You can always improve your framing and composition skills with the equipment you have, as well as your ability to edit a good story. There's a lot you can do with editing that doesn't require brand new equipment. (Not talking about processing the video to look better, I'm talking about the edit itself).

I'd push your current equipment to the max, do the best you can, and it'll grow naturally when you start hitting the limits of your current setup.
Philip Gioja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 11:57 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Ralph,
I'm in Hoffman Estates and know some folks out your way.
I would say practice practice practice with the camera gear you have to imporve your shooting skills until you decide what camera(s) and ancillary gear you want and need to do the desired type of work.
As for editing, again, practice with waht you have until you NEED more.
An old time famous photog once said (I paraphrase) "It's not the camera, it's the eye". Work with what you got then once you determine the type of work you're going to do you can figure out the next step-which camera(s) you need and go from there.
Welcome to the best forum out there!
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice and the warm welcome! I will continue to work with the equipment I have for now. Nice to receive some acknowledgement that I am thinking in the right direction.

I have another question.

Our local public access channel offers a training class that teaches some basics. I don't know too many details as of yet because I've not looked into it too far. Has anybody taken any such classes and is it worthwhile? I'm kinda thinking that would be a good thing as the investment in money is minimal and would give me access to equipment that I otherwise would not get to use.
Ralph Gereg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 04:40 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Last year or was it 2 years ago I did some football for the high school there and (just a couple of games) and they always produced for local cable. I met a few of the guys there on the live truck. Seems like mostly they were part timers IIRC but they knew what they were doing.
If it's not going to cost you a bundle why not? The worst thing to happen is you learn nothing useful and of course since none of us knows it all I'm sure you'll come away with some good stuff.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Yeah, I would tend to agree with the part time deal. I think that station is staffed by volunteers. I have seen some of the content on there over the years and some of it is really well done and some of it is, well shall I say not really well done. :)
Ralph Gereg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood