DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   DV-info members average age? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/11903-dv-info-members-average-age.html)

Ken Tanaka August 17th, 2003 01:50 AM

We have many more active female members today than we did, say, a year ago. But, indeed, the active membership is overwhelmingly male. I believe that the reason is simple: the forums and subjects here are gadget/techie-oriented and do not appeal to many women.

Jeff Donald August 17th, 2003 07:23 AM

I've noticed this in the classes I teach. The are split fairly equally, male/female. However, when the class discussion turns to equipment the women tend to participate less. Discussions about composition, form, lighting etc. have good participation from both sexes, but the women's questions tend to be more probing and inquisitive. The men ask more bluntly, How do I achieve this look or effect? Women tend to want to know the why's and how's.

I've had several classes that were all female. Let me tell you, what a challenge. Maintaining control is very difficult. It’s much easier to digress and get off subject. I end up teaching something entirely different than my lesson.

Ross Milligan August 30th, 2003 04:28 AM

This has been fun.... I sort of had a mental picture of the contributors I like to read the most - Dylan, Rob, Ken and Jeff. I was in the ball park with Ken & Jeff but Dylan & Rob are just bairns :-)

Ross

46 - working since 1977

Dylan Couper August 30th, 2003 09:10 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Ross Milligan : This has been fun.... I sort of had a mental picture of the contributors I like to read the most - Dylan, Rob, Ken and Jeff. I was in the ball park with Ken & Jeff but Dylan & Rob are just bairns :-)

Ross

-->>>

If it's any cosolation, I feel alot older than I look.
Joints ache, bones hurt, can't remember... uh... stuff. :)

Roze Ann September 8th, 2003 09:51 PM

Hey Now....

Got married 4 years ago to a man 12 years my junior (any good 'cradle robber' jokes?), had a baby almost 2 years ago, will be 42 in January (constantly mistaken for late 20's. You tell me... "http://fatcatmedia.biz/aboutus" ..on the left). Come on.... be brave... post photos!!! Numbers don't matter it's what's between the ears...

Life is gets STARTED at 40 for all you yunguns' out there. Go William! Jeff! and the over 40 gang :-)

Hey Ken... about the "techy" comment...I think you are right. Most gals don't seem too interested. But for those of us who grew up in a house full of engineers... man tech info is GREAT! I'd much rather read a spec sheet or wiring diagram than a novel. Gadgets are THE BOMB. (I love powertools and john boats too.)

Dan Tolbertson September 8th, 2003 11:21 PM

I Am 38 I think.

John Hudson September 9th, 2003 12:01 PM

Rob Lohman September 9th, 2003 12:40 PM

I don't know which Rob you mean, Ross, but is "bairns" a good
thing?

Paul Tauger September 9th, 2003 12:49 PM

Just turned 50. (I'm older than I ever thought I'd be).

Kat Eiswald September 14th, 2003 08:56 PM

It's not Polite to ask a lady her age.

But I was born in the "summer of love" and graduated from high school in a very "Orwellian" time.

that would be old enough to know better.

Ken Tanaka September 14th, 2003 09:47 PM

Stats As Of Sep 14

34.11 Average
31.5 Median
13.03 Std Dev

Darrell Hinton September 14th, 2003 10:04 PM

I'm 20. I just wanted to say this is an extremely helpful site, especially for us younger and less experienced people. I have learned a great deal of information that would've taken a whole lot of learning from mistakes and messing with settings thanks to this forum. Thanks again to whoever was involved in creating these forums.

Rob Wilson September 14th, 2003 11:34 PM

Time to bump up that avg a bit: 46

Norm Couture September 16th, 2003 08:57 AM

Let me help pushing that average a little higher:

I'm 49 1/2.
Curious fact: the hair I used to have on top is starting to use shortcuts down through my nose and ears...

Christopher C. Murphy September 17th, 2003 02:25 PM

31 years old, but i feel like i'm just getting started with things i love to do!