Greetings from Sunnyvale, CA - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old July 14th, 2008, 10:50 PM   #16
New Boot

Hey there, Axel.

Well, I decided to go with the HV30 and I'm sure I'll be happy with it.

In fact, I purchased this

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Guide_for.html

So now I'm committed to it! ;)

If you guys ever plan on grabbing a soda (or tea or whatever) somewhere let me know...and if I'm free, I may just show up. :) I'd love to learn from you guys...since I'm sure you both know so much more than I do! :)
Ted Mattos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 01:49 AM   #17
Trustee

Hi Axel,

Here's my latest build:

Intel Q9450
ABit IP35 Pro MOBO
4 gig crucial ram DDR2 4-4-4-12
2 oem 750 GB 32mb buffer drives (run in Raid 0)
1 retail 500 GB WD Drive (Program drive)
BFG 9800 GX2 Video Card
Creative Extreme Fatal1ty Sound Card
Corsair 750W PS
Lite-on SATA DVD R/W
Rocketfish Full tower server case (actualy made by Lian-Li for Best Buy, no longer available, it was a $300 case on close out for $79)

I had it running up at 3.4Ghz with a slight bump in voltage. It was rock solid but since this is my editing machine I wanted to try to keep the heat and voltage down, so I've got it running at 3.2Ghz and no problems. I've got three screens connected (22", 19", and a 19" LCD HDTV throught he HDMI out). I can preview at full frame rates, full screen Best quality on my 19" LCD TV with Vegas 8 Pro (as long as I don't have more than 1 FX on the video track) I usually just do preview Auto since that gives me full frame rates even with several FX's on the track.

you're right about the AVC codec. I think the problem is it's still not very well developed as far as NLE's go. There aren't that many companies that can handle it. One thing that would probably help is to convert it into the Cineform Codec. I use it for my HDV editing and it really helps not only in speed but it also holds up much better to multigenerations of color correction and edits.

Ted, congrats on the purchase. I'm sure you won't be dissapointed. Since you already had the HV20 you probably know a lot of the ins and outs fo the camera. I'm not sure when I'd be availabel to get down there an meet but if I could figure it out I'd be up for it.
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 07:39 AM   #18
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
you're right about the AVC codec. I think the problem is it's still not very well developed as far as NLE's go. There aren't that many companies that can handle it. One thing that would probably help is to convert it into the Cineform Codec. I use it for my HDV editing and it really helps not only in speed but it also holds up much better to multigenerations of color correction and edits.
Hi Garrett,

Can you explain the Cineform codec more? Is it a software or something that allows a person to convert the AVCHD into a different format?
Old July 15th, 2008, 08:33 AM   #19
New Boot

What school are you teaching at? I grew up in Sunnyvale and am planning on going to a 15 year reunion in October at Fremont High School. I now live in Las Vegas (8 years ago it was impossible to for a first time home buyer to even think about buying a house)
Brett Beanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 09:42 AM   #20
New Boot

Brett, you're just a kid then at 33. :)

I teach near Cupe Middle School so my kids feed to Homestead (probably your rivals). :)
Old July 15th, 2008, 10:06 AM   #21
Trustee

Hi Ted,

CineForm is a company that makes a software that converts your raw footage into an intermediate codec (or multimedia file format) that you then use in non linear editing programs and then render out to your final format (AVCHD, MPEG-2, AVI, etc.). The main advantage is that it is very close to an uncompressed format so each it handles the various filters and effects that you may apply during your editing much better than either an AVC or HDV file. It also encodes the files using more color information so that again helps retain the color during edits.

There's a whole section devoted to CineForm on this forum:

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=115554

The link is a pretty good start to understanding what it does. One main advantage is that it will speed up your editing process (after encoding) because you end up dealing with uncompressed files. Remember that HDV and AVCHD have to go through a rendering engine just to preview. That is due to the file structure and the fact that they are both are GOP (groups of pictures). In other words each frame that is saved to the disk or tape does not contain complete information to build that frame. It only contains what has changed from one frame to the next. So, for instance, HDV uses a 15 frame GOP. Only every 15th frame contains complete information. So, when you watch an HDV file, your hardware has to look at the group of 15 frames, decide what each frame is suppose to looke like, then output to your monitor. That's why it moves so slow compared to watching an AVI file. The CineForm Codec takes the 15 frames and rebuilds each frame with complete information. The downside is cost (you have another program to buy), and you need more HD space when editing.

Sorry if you already knew a bunch of this but just wanted to try to be clear.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 10:42 AM   #22
New Boot

Hi Garrett!

No! That was awesome. Thanks for the information... I knew NOTHING about it. :)

I'll take a look at that link so that my head fill with even more information! LOL!

Thanks again. :)
Old July 15th, 2008, 10:58 AM   #23
New Boot

Back when I was there my teacher (Tim Shannon) would "lend" me out to all of the other high schools in the area to help out with their shows, so I knew them all...

So middle schools I went to Sunnyvale Jr. High... I sure do not feel like a kid anymore no longer am I the youngest on gigs... now I am the "if anyone knows Brett will guy..."
Brett Beanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #24
New Boot

Ah, yes...Sunnyvale Jr. high is part of the Sunnyvale district. I'm with the Cupertino District (which feeds into the Fremont District).

At 33, you're a kid to my 41 years. ;)
Ted Mattos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood