Hi from the Bay Area, Califronia at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old July 26th, 2008, 06:27 PM   #1
New Boot

Hi from the Bay Area, Califronia

Hey everyone, I'm new to the hd world. I've been editing with FCP for awhile and finally decided to shoot my own stuff. Anyways, just wanted to say hi and now I'm off snooping around the HV30 section. See ya!
Victor Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 11:23 PM   #2
Trustee

Hi Victor,

I'm up in Novato. Welcome and happy shooting. What types of video do you like shooting and editing?

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #3
New Boot

I mainly want to focus on shooting short documentaries but right now I'm working with some local business to shoot some video for promotional use. Nothing too professional but its a start!
Victor Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 08:41 PM   #4
Major Player

Welcome to the forum. The HV30 is a great camera, so long as you can work around its shortcomings (poor audio and terrible low-light). Thankfully, we live in a very sunny area (well, maybe less for you with the SF Fog). Happy shooting. See you on the HV20/30 forum.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 11:04 PM   #5
Trustee

Sounds Great Victor. I use Vegas for editing but shooting with my HV20 had been fun. I use it a lot for when I'm out and about. It's the perfect size to fit into my camera backpack along with my digital still. I mainly take the A1 out when I have time to plan shots.

I do this as a "hobby" and pick up paying gigs as a way to pay for it. I've been contemplating shooting a documentory but haven't gotten up the nerve or time yet. If you ever need an extra cam or operator give me a email. I do some freelance camera work. Nothing too fancy but I'm alway trying to improve my technique.

See you around the forums.

Garrett
Old July 28th, 2008, 11:41 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hey there Bay Area folks... A fun group to get involved with if you're into filmmaking is Scary Cow Productions. It's a Bay Area-based film co-op where members form into small teams and produce films that compete in quarterly competitions. We're currently into Round 6 which will screen publicly on 9/28. So far we have over 175 active members and growing with every round...

A number of winning films have gone on to be submitted and accepted into various film festivals and one documentary was picked up for commercial distribution.

Check it out here: www.scarycow.com

Cheers,
Leo Versola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #7
Trustee

Hi Leo,

What type of experience do most of the members have? I definatly come from a hobbiest end and have never shot a film before. It is something I very much would like to learn about and experience, so if a total novice is ok I'd be interested to check it out.

Garrett
Old July 28th, 2008, 12:00 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
Hi Leo,

What type of experience do most of the members have? I definatly come from a hobbiest end and have never shot a film before. It is something I very much would like to learn about and experience, so if a total novice is ok I'd be interested to check it out.

Garrett
Hi Garrett,

There is a really good mix of people in the group with various interests; directing, writing, acting, cinematography, sound, editing, special fx, etc. Although the bulk of all the members are serious hobbyists with an interest in filmmaking, there are about 10-15% with no experience at all and another 10-15% who work in the business as professionals (including a well-known cinematographer with many IMDB credits).

If you're interested, you should attend one of the informational sessions held at the start of each round (next one is in October some time). It's definitely a fun way to constantly be working on projects year-round...
Leo Versola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #9
Trustee

Thanks Leo,

I checked out the web site. Sounds very cool. In the sign up link it asks if I was referred by a member. Are you a member?

Garrett
Old July 28th, 2008, 12:15 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Thanks Leo,

I checked out the web site. Sounds very cool. In the sign up link it asks if I was referred by a member. Are you a member?

Garrett
Yes, I am a member. I'm currently working on a film called "Rule 1" which will be screened on 9/28. Just finished auditions and casting; principal shooting begins this weekend. The folks I'm working with won a budget in the last round with a film called "Grief" and was also accepted into a film festival in Florida.

Cheers...
Old July 28th, 2008, 12:20 PM   #11
Trustee

That sounds great. What type of time commitments would I be looking at? I unfortunately have to work for a living..:(. I also own a Martial Arts Studio so of course I have all this free time...LOL.

I'm going to fill out the info form on the web site and if you have no objections I'll put you as who referred me.

Good luck on your current project.

Garrett
Old July 28th, 2008, 12:32 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
That sounds great. What type of time commitments would I be looking at? I unfortunately have to work for a living..:(. I also own a Martial Arts Studio so of course I have all this free time...LOL.

I'm going to fill out the info form on the web site and if you have no objections I'll put you as who referred me.

Good luck on your current project.

Garrett
I'd say the majority of us have "day" jobs to support our habit. Most of the teams shoot on weekends and/or nights if the scenes call for it. The time commitment is largely a function of the role you want and are chosen for. Let's say the film you were involved with had some action scenes. Given your background, you may want the role of a stunt coordinator in which case you would only be needed for the applicable scenes... On the other hand, a cameraperson would be a large commitment since at a minimum, you would have to be present for all of the shoots and most likely more than that. In any case, the teams are very flexible and work around everyone's schedules...

Yes, use me as a referral; I'd appreciate that. Like this board, the more members, the merrier!
Old July 28th, 2008, 11:43 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Hi Guys,

I surfed the Scary Cow web page and it sounds nice. Since I want to sign up, can I use you as a reference also?

Thanks

Axel, San Jose
Axel Scheffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 11:51 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel Scheffler View Post
Hi Guys,

I surfed the Scary Cow web page and it sounds nice. Since I want to sign up, can I use you as a reference also?

Thanks

Axel, San Jose
Sure, absolutely. Looking forward to seeing you guys join and participate...
Old July 29th, 2008, 12:27 AM   #15
Trustee

I'm actually very excited. After filling out the info form it said the next meeting would be around Sept. I can't wait. I never really thought about using my MA background but it does make sense. For demos I am the one who usually comes up with most of program. I do enjoy staging self defense demos and such.

I'd love to get some experience and guidence on how to shoot them so they translate onto film.

Looking forward to meeting all of you.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood