An Old Coot Writes..... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old August 4th, 2008, 03:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

An Old Coot Writes.....

Hello DVi. Someone asked me how long I'd been recording sound and to my horror, after some head scratching, I had to say "over 40 years." Started in the BBC, went freelance to do commercials, doccos and features, joined ITV as staff, made redundant thanks to Thatcher and have been freelance again for 15 years or so. The great thing about this line of work is you never know it all and there is always some new problem to exercise your ingenuity. The other great thing is the travel...how else could I have got to places like Russia, Iceland, the Azores, most of Europe and the USA as well as some of the strangest parts of home, the UK?
Another good thing is that while the poor camera guys have to pay a king's ransom for a camera that will be out-dated by the time he takes delivery, we just plug in the XLRs from our old faithful mixer and say "Sound's ready!"
Nick Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 06:51 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Ha ha -- a great introductory post. Welcome aboard, Nick!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 09:07 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Welcome aboard Nick.

"Old Guys Rule"

'nuff said.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys

Many thanks for the welcome. Don't know how relevant my contributions can be, but I certainly hope to pick up some tips on new gear as it comes out. And to find out some answers to old questions....like what is the story behind the NTSC frame rate, which is something like 29.??? I believe. Why did it change from 30? It's faster than our PAL 25, so the flicker must be reduced and I suppose that machines don't care about exact numbers, but I'd be interested to know.
Nick Flowers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood