Hello from New Orleans Louisiana at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old March 20th, 2002, 09:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Hello from New Orleans Louisiana

Just wanted to say hello to everyone out there, I live in the New Orleans area and have been shooting for a long time. Yes you already know - I cover Mardi Gras and of course Bourbon St from time to time. I consider it practice for the most part. I feel blessed not because of the above but because there is a vast range of different cultures and events to shoot. I have also worked in the Legal Video field which I consider boring but can sometimes be interesting :) I will be doing a swamp tour shoot for a client and also touring plantations for another client. I am always open for ideas and plan on shooting a short soon for film fest. I also welcome ideas and insight or maybe a tip on some work here and there. Thanks!

--
Kevin Nardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2002, 10:51 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Howdy "Nawlins,"

Welcome to the board. I have a sister in Baton Rouge who's telling me all the time that I need to come shoot there because of the variety in scenery...not just man-made but also in nature. The plantation tour sounds great.

Talk with you in future threads.
Old March 20th, 2002, 10:54 PM   #3
Trustee

Welcome!

I've always thought the fan boats they use in the swamps are the coolest things and look like heaps of fun.

Hope you find the forum interesting and useful.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2002, 08:38 AM   #4
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by zchildress : Howdy "Nawlins,"

Welcome to the board. I have a sister in Baton Rouge who's telling me all the time that I need to come shoot there because of the variety in scenery...not just man-made but also in nature. The plantation tour sounds great.

Talk with you in future threads. -->>>

Yes, there is an abudance of scenery here that is for sure.. Infact Baton Rouge has some interesting places to visit like Tunica Hills which I plan on visiting soon. I went once when I was very young but have not returned since. There is so much I want to do but finding the time is another thing all together. On the other hand there is the city, one can always have the cam standing by with the 'radio' on - you are bound to hear some wild news worthy calls come out.

--
Old March 21st, 2002, 08:43 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Re

<<<-- Originally posted by afterburnerDV : Welcome!

I've always thought the fan boats they use in the swamps are the coolest things and look like heaps of fun.

Hope you find the forum interesting and useful. -->>>

They are very cool, they use the same Lycoming engines that a cesna uses. I do a lot of flying but never had a ride on a air boat yet believe it or not. One of the things I look forward to is the feeding of the alligators, they come jumping out the water for chicken:) I have to say that the boats are neat but they are also very loud which scares plenty wildlife away. I have a small canoe I was thinking of taking out but I am fearing tiping it with my camera on board. I have taken my canoe in the swamps a thousand times but the thought of a 3000 dollar cam on board makes me nervous. I cant exactly afford a waterproof housing for it.

--
Old March 21st, 2002, 08:56 PM   #6
Trustee

Yeah, the thought of sending you XL1 swimming without it's floaties is one that makes things clench.

There are a couple of cheaper soft housings on the market that would do the job for you. I think EWA make one. If you use it with some kind of leash connected to you, you'd probably be pretty safe.

I used to work on one of those Lycomings. It was actually out of a Souix(?) helicopter, like the ones from the MASH TV show. Noisy sucker, the canoe is a better option
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2002, 09:32 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi,
Bruce Moore from AZ,

Question: Does your state allow court deposoing done on Mini-dv transfered to VHS.
In AZ it must be done on VHS and handed in as an original.

Please fill me in.

Thanks
B. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2002, 11:21 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I use a SVHS camera for that. I am going to find out about that but I know for a fact that we have used other then the original in court. We did a three camera depo and edited it.

--
Old March 22nd, 2002, 01:27 PM   #9
YL_wdlf_guy

Canoe.. LOL

This last summer a friend of mine was shooting activities here at the Woodleaf on our lake. These activities included the Blob (giant airbag floating in a lake that propells people into the air by another person jumping on the opposite end) and the zipline. He was sitting in a canoe and was having various teenagers launched at or zip past him for the majority of the shots. Canoe never tipped and hes never gotten the XL1 damaged. I dont think that you would have any problems using it in the swamp, especially if your good with a canoe.

Dennis
Old March 22nd, 2002, 03:14 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I just paid a ton of money for this and feel paranoid about taking it in a canoe.. I have never tipped my canoe except intentional tips for teaching kids how to right it. I dont think there would be a problem but moving paddles around the canoe tends to get a bunch of water about and on the floor. I dont think the case I have would be suitable for that. I need a good hard case with rubber seals that floats and wont leak - that case would be the valium I need to take my camera out on the water.

--
Old March 22nd, 2002, 06:02 PM   #11
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I remember seeing some flat-bottom rentals at one of the lakes near Baton Rouge. Something like that would be more stable.
Old February 14th, 2005, 07:13 PM   #12
Major Player

I just re-located to New Orleans from Houston!

Would love to meet new people!

Contact me please

I do all kinds of stuff

http://www.resmedia.com/main.htm
Brent Marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2005, 06:58 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Hi Brent,
I'm from New Orleans also.

stop by and say hello sometime.

you'll find more info about me here at
www.customvideobyterry.com
www.neworleansbrideshow.com

Terry T.
Old February 21st, 2005, 11:50 PM   #14
New Boot

great to see some more folks from N.O. !!!!!!!

I mainly do sports freelance videography and love to cut video on my G4!!!

I'm new to this site but it looks like a good board.
Andrew Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood