Greetings from Toowoomba, Queensland AUSTRALIA at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old October 12th, 2008, 04:51 PM   #1
New Boot

Greetings from Toowoomba, Queensland AUSTRALIA

Wow, what a diverse crew of people there are here! Really enjoyed having a flick through the posts and seeing who is where and what!

Well, I'm pretty new to the video scene and can't flaunt any cool toys for now. Just getting into it all. Am infact looking for advice on what type of camera and setup etc to get.

We are looking at starting with video in our Church, primarily for web viewing and then moving onto live feeds and the likes.

Any suggestions for what could work well?

If it helps, I can get photos of the building etc.
Mark D. Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Mark................

Welcome to DVinfo.

I don't know how long you were a "lurker" (scanning DVinfo before becoming a member) but a couple of things I think I can say, without fear of dissent, are:

First: Search!

Use that Google bar at the bottom of every page and search for answers to your questions BEFORE laying them before the DVinfo public.

Second: Read!

Pretty well every topic you can think off (and a shed load you couldn't even dream of) has been discussed, dismantled, thrashed, trashed and re - assembled more times than I've had Gin & Tonics (and that's a LOT!).

It's all here, in bucket loads. You can refine your queries on any particular specific by arming yourself with that relevant knowledge that's already here in such abundance.

Third: Enjoy!

There's a great bunch of people here (ain't met 'em yet, but I know they're here somewhere - I jest, of course!).

Don't take any of it too seriously, and remember that old addage:

"'Tis better to hold your tongue and be thought a fool, than to let rip and prove it."

(Oh, how many times have I.............).

Hope you have a ball.

CS

PS: A Google search in DVinfo for "Church" just came back with 3,000 hits - knock yourself out.
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 06:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey Hey

Good to see some more Aussies!

I have been looking at putting some more gear into the Church I am at down in Sydney. We are looking at getting HD1000...because they are cheap and ok.

Ideally Z1s would be great but are pretty expensive on a Church budget.

Cameras then run into a Videonics mixer which also takes in a PC feed for song words to super impose and titles, powerpoint etc. The out then goes live to the projector, straight into a DVD recorder and straight into a PC running Flash streaming server.

I have been testing options with my Z1 and Z7 and my own computer but that is what we have been looking at

hope that helps

Andrew
Andrew Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 04:58 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D. Anderson View Post
Wow, what a diverse crew of people there are here! Really enjoyed having a flick through the posts and seeing who is where and what!

Well, I'm pretty new to the video scene and can't flaunt any cool toys for now. Just getting into it all. Am infact looking for advice on what type of camera and setup etc to get.

We are looking at starting with video in our Church, primarily for web viewing and then moving onto live feeds and the likes.

Any suggestions for what could work well?

If it helps, I can get photos of the building etc.
Hey Mark,

Welcome to dvInfo!

I'm actually in Toowoomba as well so I might be able to help you out with some advice. I don't do any 'in-church' stuff or live projection but I know a few guys who do - plus I've being doing video production for 3 years or so here in Toowoomba.

Shoot me an e-mail and maybe we can catch up or I can put you onto the guys that could help you out.

Cheers,

Matthew.
Old October 13th, 2008, 08:16 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Welcome to DVinfo.

I don't know how long you were a "lurker" (scanning DVinfo before becoming a member) but a couple of things I think I can say, without fear of dissent, are:

First: Search!

Use that Google bar at the bottom of every page and search for answers to your questions BEFORE laying them before the DVinfo public.

Second: Read!

Pretty well every topic you can think off (and a shed load you couldn't even dream of) has been discussed, dismantled, thrashed, trashed and re - assembled more times than I've had Gin & Tonics (and that's a LOT!).

It's all here, in bucket loads. You can refine your queries on any particular specific by arming yourself with that relevant knowledge that's already here in such abundance.

Third: Enjoy!

There's a great bunch of people here (ain't met 'em yet, but I know they're here somewhere - I jest, of course!).

Don't take any of it too seriously, and remember that old addage:

"'Tis better to hold your tongue and be thought a fool, than to let rip and prove it."

(Oh, how many times have I.............).

Hope you have a ball.

CS

PS: A Google search in DVinfo for "Church" just came back with 3,000 hits - knock yourself out.
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the pointers and I apologise for having gone about things in the wrong way! I am VERY new to all this forum and chat room stuff and know NOTHING about how it all works. That said, what you said makes common sense really doesn't it! I should just have a search and not be lazy...Just the daunting sight of as you say, THOUSANDS of topics in the way now...lol

Thanks for the help

Regards

Mark Anderson
Old October 13th, 2008, 08:20 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wheatley View Post
Hey Hey

Good to see some more Aussies!

I have been looking at putting some more gear into the Church I am at down in Sydney. We are looking at getting HD1000...because they are cheap and ok.

Ideally Z1s would be great but are pretty expensive on a Church budget.

Cameras then run into a Videonics mixer which also takes in a PC feed for song words to super impose and titles, powerpoint etc. The out then goes live to the projector, straight into a DVD recorder and straight into a PC running Flash streaming server.

hope that helps

Andrew
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the pointers! Will go and research all these items you speak of.
Do you mind if I ask which church you are involved with? Do you produce web video also?

We are primarily looking toward web video for now (you know, the Church TV type idea - though not live). We have had a play with our camcorders so far and have some up on our site ( Toowoomba Christian Fellowship ).

Anyway, thanks for the help

Regards
Mark
Old October 13th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Mark

My home Church is St Paul's Castle Hill.

We are just starting to ramp up video production. In the past we have done everything mainly either for archive or DVD release. However, we have done some online stuff (and as I mentioned earlier now going into live online). Online we use flash to compress for web. We have only just upgraded our server to be able to handle larger video files (we previously couldn't fit whole sermons etc).

We haven't got any of our major video projects online at the minute but I will pop some up on my server soon and send you a link.

Your website looks pretty slick and the video comes out well, the nice lighting helps.

Cheers

Andrew
Andrew Wheatley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood