Quebec connection at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old March 22nd, 2002, 06:03 PM   #1
openeyes

Quebec connection

Hi there,
I'm from Hull, Quebec (close to Ottawa) and I've been using the XL1 for about 4 years now. A few corporate projects, a few news clips...but I'm planning to shoot my first short movie (REALLY short, 3-4 minutes) in the next few weeks with the hopes of shooting another in July or August.
Most of the time I'm an editor and I've worked with drama, docs, corporates and travel/tourism shows. Luckily, there's a lot of variety where I freelance.
I've checked in on the watchdog site once in a while but finally decided to join the community! I'll check out the other threads to see what other peoples' experiences have been shooting movies and I'll share mine once it's done.

Randy
Old March 22nd, 2002, 06:29 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Welcome aboard! You're by no means alone; plenty of other Canadjians around here. Glad to have you with us,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2002, 01:31 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Welcome Randy,

There is an unbelievable amount of great information on these boards. I hope you will find this neighborhood as informative as I have.

Good luck with your movie.

Bill
Bill Markel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2002, 12:44 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Welcome aboard! - from a westerner. It's good to see a few Canadians on the DV network, because some of our issues such as purchasing equipment, prices etc. are different than in the U.S.
I don't know what it's like where you are(probably better) but I've been waiting for my wireless mike outfit (for weeks) and trying to find a hand held boom is like pulling teeth. It's like nobody wants my money. I ordered a Rainslicker from ZGC in the States and it was here in a day and a half. Enough whining for now... enjoy your movie making.
Old April 22nd, 2002, 08:52 PM   #5
openeyes

Thanks for the welcoming everyone

Just finished editing my first short movie. I shot it last weekend in a (unfortunately) busy college. Only took an extra hour from my planned 8 hour shoot. Man, it's good to have friends helping out who know something about tv, it made things run pretty smoothly.

Now I'm ready to send it to at least one french festival/contest and am working on getting it dubbed in english this week to send to a few more short film festivals out west in Vancouver and Victoria

Anyone know of web sites announcing short film festivals around the continent?

Thanks,

Randy
Old April 23rd, 2002, 06:23 AM   #6
New Boot

Film Festivals

OpenEyes,

This is what I found when looking for the same...

World Wide:
http://www.marklitwak.com/filmfes.asp
http://dir.yahoo.com/Entertainment/Movies_and_Film/Film_Festivals/

Toronto connection:
http://www.dvshop.ca/tofest.html

Telefilm Canada also has some central information on this and other topics at:
http://www.telefilm.gc.ca/en/intro.htm

There's also a book that's very useful called "The Ultimate Film Festival Survival Guide (2nd Edition)". It contains a lot of good general advice as well as listing the festivals. I live in Ottawa and have a copy - I'm almost finished reading it if you're intereted in borrowing it - I'll be finished soon...

Last edited by Jim Pulfer; April 23rd, 2002 at 06:38 AM.
Jim Pulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2002, 11:03 PM   #7
New Boot

Perhaps you may want to send me a short CV as I am producing travel docs out of Montreal and will be needing prod and post staff soon.
RC
TravelReview@Hotmail.com
Travelreview is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood