Greetings from Peoria, IL at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old December 12th, 2008, 10:17 AM   #1
New Boot

Greetings from Peoria, IL

Hi guys!
With my brand new validated account, I guess an introduction is in order.

I guess I was interested in photography when I was a pre-teenager, mostly associated with my model railroading hobby but also at music concerts as I was able to approach the stage easily as a young guy (security didn't think I was much of a threat I guess!) when my folks went to many Statler Brothers concerts in the early 80's. I was a photographer for the high school yearbook, after which I didn't pick up anything but a point-and-shoot for 20 years.

I picked the long dormant interest in Photography back up about four years ago when my son was born. I have taken a couple classes at the local community college and my still photography skills have improved vastly due to the practice and training- if you haven't considered taking a class or two and you're a newbie like me, it's WELL worth it.

I've been shooting stills with a medium format Pentax 645 and a Canon 20D with a small assortment of L-series glass plus a few primes. As my skills with the still photography improve, I've noticed some shortcomings with my video camera.

I have a 3-CCD Panasonic Mini-DV consumer grade camcorder and a basic JVC mini-DV camcorder. The Panasonic does a good job in strong light as a casual everyday camcorder, but the image quality and low-light performance aren't what they could be, and of course it isn't easy- may not be possible- to shoot it manually. That's what brought me to this site, I'm considering upgrading to a GL2 or maybe a XH-A1 or similar. For those moments that only come once in life, I'd like better quality images and video if I can get it. The video from my parent's 50th anniversary party in late November was disappointing as you can't make out many details.

My subjects are my son, model railroading related stuff, and automotive subjects- projects and racing events. My full-time job pays well so I won't be getting into wedding or similar videography.
Douglas Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #2
Major Player

welcome, i'm right in your backyard in washington. i have been shooting with the gl2 for several years and will moving to hd in the next few months. also have a canon 40d for stills.

if you ever want to assist with weddings let me know.

how bout our governor? never a dull moment in illinois politics.
George Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 02:04 PM   #3
New Boot

Wow, Blago, man don't get me started- have to stay on topic.

Thanks for the offer. I already had a photography studio owner ask me to buy his business, as he wanted out and as my instructor at the last ICC class I took he felt I could rise to the challenge- what a compliment!

Honestly, thank you. I'm always interested in making a few extra bucks, but after catering weddings for 20 years with my folks I honestly don't miss the wedding scene. Between Momzilla's and Bridezilla's, it's tough to deal with families- as you know it's tough enough to deal with your own. It is in my case at least. In my case, I'm always telling my wife that I have much better in-laws than she does!!!

Any chance you're interested in upgrading much more quickly than you planned??? :-)
Old December 12th, 2008, 02:29 PM   #4
Major Player

we only did 18 weddings this year, with other video work 20 is the most i want to do per season. fortunately in over ten years there have only been a few problem clients.

the jump to hdv is interesting, only two clients have ever inquired. i think this year is going to be a transition for many people from sd to hd. as more people have hd tv and disc players they will want their wedding delivered in hd.

i will probably buy the hd cameras in february and this will allow enough time to work with the cameras and become familiar with the manual settings. the gl2 cams have worked well but have a lot of hours and need to be replaced. i do have a canon hv30 and am impressed with the image in proper lighting, indoors in low light it does suffer.
Old December 12th, 2008, 02:42 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for the info, George. It sounds like you're satisfied with the GL2 in fairly heavy regular service, which is comforting.

I guess it's "a given" that the price of HD will drop with time, in all areas- playback machines, monitors/TV's, and cameras. I'm tempted to upgrade so many things these days- the TV, the video editing PC, the camera, etc. but the really time sensitive item is the camera, as video can always be re-edited and watched later.

Any idea how often Canon upgrades its product lines? Is a GL3 expected any time soon? The GL2 product is certainly aging, but there is a whole host of HD cameras out there, and the current XL model is fairly new, isn't it?
Old December 12th, 2008, 03:08 PM   #6
Major Player

typically canon is very quiet regarding new products. however, when they make the press release announcing a new camera that camera is usually available for purchase within a reasonable time (usually within a month).

sony, panasonic and others announce new cameras and it could be several months to a year before you can actually purchase the camera. there is a wealth of info on this site for any camera you want to research.

right now i am leaning toward the sonyfx100 and hv5. for many of the churches in our area the 20x zoom is beneficial. i also like simultaneously recording to both tape and disk or flash media.
Old December 19th, 2008, 06:49 AM   #7
Major Player

Douglas, - one question on reading your intro, do belong to the NMRA ?

RonC.
Ron Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Cooper View Post
Douglas, - one question on reading your intro, do belong to the NMRA ?

RonC.
Not yet Ron, but I'm considering it. It's expensive. I'm focusing a lot more on my car hobby since I have may camaro torn down to a bare shell, but once it's finished (and I am making strong progress) I can focus on the MRR hobby and I'll be joining- and going after my MRR (Master Model Railroader) status.
Old December 20th, 2008, 04:56 AM   #9
Major Player

I must admit that video editing plus other interests - playing music , electronics, etc is no help to becoming an MMR. I have been a member for about 20 years but no time to even think about becoming an MMR. My layout - ATSF/SP/UP/NP is stagnating lately. But I do enjoy the NMRA - worth every cent.
We have a good group here in Sydney.

RonC.
Ron Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 08:40 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Greetings from Peoria, Il.

Hi all,
Been trolling hear off and on for over a year and thought I would introduce myself. We have been shooting event video in Peoria area for past 8 years or so as a second income in addition to working full time job. Weddings are our primary events, mixed in with lots of school stuff for EPCHS as well as a few local business spots for local cable company. Enjoy doing this as I work primarily with my wife and a couple other shooters as needed. Not much time for networking between this and my day job, so just wanted to say hello to any other videographers from the area. I know all of the wedding planners and have worked with just about every photographer and DJ around, but not too many videographers. Have been in love with video and photography for a long time and what started out as a favor for family and friends over 20 years ago, has led to shooting about 25 to 30 jobs a year. Drop me a message if you would like to chat or just say hey.
Scott Frick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood