Hello from Warrington UK at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old February 8th, 2009, 05:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Hello from Warrington UK

Hi chaps and chappettes,

From Warrington as stated. I have been involved in video for nearly 30 years, mainly amateur / semi-pro stuff. All started in 1980 when my first son was born, and I really wanted some video to remember. Bought a Sony 8mm vid camera and started using it just for myself. Back then, the average family never had video cameras, dont know why as I found the prospect of having these memories priceless. Things snowballed as they do, friends and family asked 'can you do this' for me and 'can you do that ' for me. Eventually started doing weddings. Upgraded my kit, started using computer graphics, jeez I remember using an old Atari and a tape deck to load the programme !!

How things have changed and are still changing. Dont do weddings anymore, I now film for my local Superleague club. I have been doing this for about 15 years or so now. Started on HI8 with a Canon and then Svhs with a Panasonic DP800, both of which I still have but they haven't seen use for many years. I am currently on DV, using a Panasonic DVC200, with a Fujinon 15x8 bevm broadcast lens. This lens cost more than the cam, but the pics are real nice. Use a Vinten Vision 6 with carbon legs to support it, SM58 commentary mic and a Sennheiser me66 shotgun. We feed an Apple Mac to capture the game live, and the coaching staff use this to analyse the players performances, also 2 dvd recorders so the coaches have discs straight after the match. I edit on Premiere using a Canopus Storm capture card, producing DVD's that the club shop then retail out. Old hat stuff I know, but it works for me and the club and thats whats important at the minute.

I will hopefully upgrade to HD at the end of this season, finances allowing, but the choice of kit is baffling me, I have absolutely very limited knowledge of HD and the terminology and workflows that go with it. Initially, I like the look of the EX3 and see many good reports, but I suppose I'm a bit old school and am frightened of a tapeless system. I know its the future and will take the plunge though. Considered the Z7 as well, but I think long term 1920 is the way and its what people will expect, so to try to be as futureproof as possible, EX3 or EX1 seem to be the tools of the moment. Will wait and see what this new JVC does as well though.

Anyway, enough of me rabbiting, I hope to be a regular contributor, but initially I suspect I will be a regular mitherer !! I have been a lurker for long enough, and have learned a great deal from the many excellent posts on here, so thanks for that. Speak again soon

Stuart
Stuart Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2009, 07:59 AM   #2
Trustee

Welcome to dvinfo, Stuart. It's a great list as you know and I've learned a lot from the youngsters as well as the pros.

As I've just mentioned to another new UK member, I started keeping a note of the Brits posting here and so far it's about 330, including yourself.

Last edited by Colin McDonald; February 8th, 2009 at 11:17 AM.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 03:12 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Wilson View Post
Hi chaps and chappettes,

From Warrington as stated. I have been involved in video for nearly 30 years, mainly amateur / semi-pro stuff. All started in 1980 when my first son was born, and I really wanted some video to remember. Bought a Sony 8mm vid camera and started using it just for myself. Back then, the average family never had video cameras, dont know why as I found the prospect of having these memories priceless. Things snowballed as they do, friends and family asked 'can you do this' for me and 'can you do that ' for me. Eventually started doing weddings. Upgraded my kit, started using computer graphics, jeez I remember using an old Atari and a tape deck to load the programme !!

How things have changed and are still changing. Dont do weddings anymore, I now film for my local Superleague club. I have been doing this for about 15 years or so now. Started on HI8 with a Canon and then Svhs with a Panasonic DP800, both of which I still have but they haven't seen use for many years. I am currently on DV, using a Panasonic DVC200, with a Fujinon 15x8 bevm broadcast lens. This lens cost more than the cam, but the pics are real nice. Use a Vinten Vision 6 with carbon legs to support it, SM58 commentary mic and a Sennheiser me66 shotgun. We feed an Apple Mac to capture the game live, and the coaching staff use this to analyse the players performances, also 2 dvd recorders so the coaches have discs straight after the match. I edit on Premiere using a Canopus Storm capture card, producing DVD's that the club shop then retail out. Old hat stuff I know, but it works for me and the club and thats whats important at the minute.

I will hopefully upgrade to HD at the end of this season, finances allowing, but the choice of kit is baffling me, I have absolutely very limited knowledge of HD and the terminology and workflows that go with it. Initially, I like the look of the EX3 and see many good reports, but I suppose I'm a bit old school and am frightened of a tapeless system. I know its the future and will take the plunge though. Considered the Z7 as well, but I think long term 1920 is the way and its what people will expect, so to try to be as futureproof as possible, EX3 or EX1 seem to be the tools of the moment. Will wait and see what this new JVC does as well though.

Anyway, enough of me rabbiting, I hope to be a regular contributor, but initially I suspect I will be a regular mitherer !! I have been a lurker for long enough, and have learned a great deal from the many excellent posts on here, so thanks for that. Speak again soon

Stuart
Hello,
do you want to sell you DV200?
Asaf Benatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asaf Benatia View Post
Hello,
do you want to sell you DV200?
I would consider it, yes. Is there a PM facility on this forum, if so, give me your contact number,

cheers

Stuart
Stuart Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 02:53 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Stuart welcome can you give me a bell on638233

Regards Alan
Alan Craig is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood