greetings from cape breton at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old October 19th, 2003, 11:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

greetings from cape breton

hello everybody,
i've been around for a few months now, decided it's finally time to make an obligatory 'getting to know you' post.

not having a clue about video or photography at all, i got my first dv cam (panasonic pvdv601k) in december 2001 on a bit of a whim, and became somewhat obsessed with skateboard filming (er, videoing). armed with my trusty single chip pana and a couple of cheap fisheyes, i finished my first project exactly one year after i bought the camera, doing a vhs release of 200. so don't be discouraged if you have a plain old consumer camera - if you love something then dive right in! since selling out of vhs copies, i have freely distributed it over the internet and if you would like to download it (190mb), please get in touch with me through this board.

since then, i saved up and bought a canon gl2 and the infamous century optics death lens. i used to work in an all-mac web shop, but switched to windows because i found it cheaper and more convenient. i use premiere 6.5, which i find does the job, albeit unpleasently at times.

i live in sydney, cape breton, where i know about five people with dv cams.

this board is superb and one of the best around. i'm hesitant to say it is THE best because the people over at bob's acl board would have to tie chris and the gang for being nice guys. i am about a year post op from a full acl tear and reconstruction (skateboarding) but am glad to say i am back on a board, with my gl2 never too far away.

i am one credit away from a math degree, and i'm a database programmer by trade, although currently unemployed.

if i have anything to offer this board, it is likely my knowledge and experience with cheap fisheye lenses. i've owned a few decent ones and a few real stinkers.

i work on a site dedicated to skateboarding in cape breton at http://skate.cblocals.com

cheers,
harry
Harry Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2003, 09:57 AM   #2
Wrangler

Cool story!

Welcome
Old January 21st, 2005, 02:56 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Well I was going to create a thread titled 'greetings from Cape Breton' but it looks like Harry beat me to the punch...by a couple years.

Harry Doyle actually recommended this forum to me, for which I have to say THANK YOU. Such a great resource!

And here's a little about me for introduction purposes...

I've been stage acting since I was 8 years old. I started off as a Magician/clown for birthday parties and corporate events, then got into acting for theater. Always interested in comedy, but I've done drama as well.

I had to move to Toronto a couple of years back to attend Humber's School of Comedy: Writing & Performance. I just got my diploma this year, and I'm glad I'm through with that. I've worked around the city as a standup, sketch performer & slave in an unsafe factory downtown. Recently I've done some PA work on commercials & music videos.

I can't wait to go back home and start shooting one of the movies I've been writing/planning for the past while. I'm trying to get a budget together and I just finished the shooting schedule, so I can submit it for funding.
Brad Mills is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood