DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Greetings from Atlanta, GA (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/18058-greetings-atlanta-ga.html)

Gregg Therieau December 7th, 2003 03:25 PM

Greetings from Atlanta, GA

Hey everyone, I'm new here and was thrilled to find out a site like this existed. I'm a DP/Videographer specializing in documentaries, reality tv, and corporate video. I'm always willing to meet new people in the industry and learn as well as teach others who are starting up. There's some info on me here if you'd like to know more about me.

http://hometown.aol.com/eyefilmu

Also, check out the trailer of my new documentary "Gladiator School" either from my homepage, or via the link in the "DV for the masses" area.

Rob Lohman December 10th, 2003 05:08 PM

Welcome aboard Gregg! Good to have you with us.

Bob Safay December 12th, 2003 08:13 AM

Hey Gregg. Glad to have another Atlanta person onboard. I live in the Virginia-Highlands area and have been doing video for years. Mostly hazardous waste sites with the EPA and nature for fun. I travel all over the place and video. Been to Africa, Italy, the Amazon, and recently down to Patagonia and Tierra del Fuago What part of Atlanta are you in? Planning a trip to Brazil next year. Need any footage let me know. Bob Safay RSafay@aol.com

Nicholas Foster September 2nd, 2004 10:42 AM

Atlanta anyone?

Just out of curiosity, anyone here live near Atlanta?

George Ellis September 2nd, 2004 10:45 AM

Me! I am in Suwanee.

Mark Jervis September 2nd, 2004 11:36 AM

in Savannah and travel to Atl. for work when required.

Stephen Schleicher September 2nd, 2004 08:34 PM

I used to live in Atlanta, and still have many contacts there.

Cheers

Nicholas Foster September 2nd, 2004 10:37 PM

I'm just out of school, and starting my own video productions company. In fact, just got my XL1s this week which is a HUGE deal to me, seeing as how being a student doesn't come with alot of extra cash. I'm really looking forward to meeting and working with others in the area. I live for this stuff!

Bob Safay September 3rd, 2004 12:18 PM

Hi Nicholas, I have been living and videoing in the Virginia-Highlands area for 20 years. I use the XL-1s. And now edit useing Vegas 5. What kind of video do you shoot? Bob Safay

Jeff Patnaude October 12th, 2004 02:43 PM

I live in Snellville and work in Duluth. I shoot and am an audio eng for Primerica, and freelance on occaision. I have FCP on a Dual 1 gig at home.

Jeff Patnaude :>)

K. Forman October 12th, 2004 02:44 PM

I'm only 12 hours south of Atlanta... close enough?

Andrew Petrie October 12th, 2004 03:53 PM

Well I'll be in the Atlanta area some time this month...

Bob Safay October 13th, 2004 06:15 AM

If any of you in the Atlanta area have the opportunity to go to the Atlanta Botanical Gardens and video the Dale Chyhuly blown glass exhibit. I highly recommend it. It is the most colorfull display I have ever seen. It is a true test of the camcorder to pick up that vivid color. I can walk to the gardens so needless to say I have been there LOTS of times and the video keeps getting better. Bob Safay

Jeff Patnaude October 13th, 2004 07:18 AM

I talked to the Botanical Gardens about doing a Martial Arts shoot there. They wanted to charge over $350. Yu might be able to do it guerrila style. Let me know if it works!

Jeff Patnaude

Bob Safay October 25th, 2004 02:56 PM

Jeff, no one there ever asked me for a permit. Did you try shooting at the park? I see crews there several times a year. Also, the videos I do of the gardens for for fun and not for sale.

Mark Williams October 25th, 2004 05:00 PM

I'm over in Alpharetta. Use a DVC30 mostly for nature stuff.

Gabrielle Talley November 1st, 2004 07:18 PM

I live in Covington! I'm just getting started in learning about film. Let me know if you can use my help with anything. I'd like to have some opportunities to learn from experienced people. I'm studying computer animation in school. Thanks!

Jeff Patnaude November 1st, 2004 09:31 PM

Gabrielle,
you should come over to our workplace. Our animator is using some heavy stuff. Okay- it's corporate mind you, but he's very experienced and works with Maya, Electric Studio, and others.

We are located in Duluth. Email and let me know if you are interested.

Jeff Patnaude

Bob Safay November 4th, 2004 06:50 AM

To all Atlanta shooters. Don't forget the 2005 Fast Forward video expo will be held here in Atlanta at the end of January. It looks like a great Expo. Bob

Gabrielle Talley November 4th, 2004 06:54 PM

Great! How can I get more information about it?

Bob Safay November 5th, 2004 01:30 PM

here is the web page. Or, go to the "Wedding/Special event video" Forum and go down about tem thredads. It is listed as "FastForward Club 2005 Expo". Bob

http://www.fastforwardclub.com/FFC-Expo-2005-Info-Reg.htm

Daniel Fowler November 23rd, 2005 12:59 AM

Daniel from Atlanta Georgia

Hi I am a small media business owner using 2 XL2's and a whol lot of other equipment. We do some really great shooting and edits, please call on us if you need help or some tips concerning non linear hook ups, we started this company building computers 10 years ago.

email me: daniel@americantechnologies.net

look at some of our work:
http://www.americanwebcast.net/19thannualconference/

Michael Chu August 27th, 2006 09:22 AM

Michael Chu from Atlanta, Georgia

This is my first post!

I am currently working on a documentary titled "Hip Hop Is Alive", please goto http://www.hiphopisalive.com for more information and any comments and criticism is welcome! I hope to work with you some day... peace and good luck everyone!

Rob Lohman August 27th, 2006 09:44 AM

Hi Michael, welcome aboard (H)DV Info Net, good to have you with us!

George Ellis August 28th, 2006 09:44 AM

Welcome to the board neighbor.

Bob Safay August 28th, 2006 03:30 PM

Hey Michael, Welcome. I live up by Virginia-Highlands. A bunch of us from the Atlanta area are trying to get together for a beer or two and swap lies. Bob

Michael Chu August 28th, 2006 04:42 PM

time and place

just let me know the time and place.

James Carver December 9th, 2006 03:03 AM

What's up from Atlanta....

new dude here living in atlanta. right now i work in web/graphic design as a day job and making the move to filmmaking. i've been writing screenplays and stories in general for seven years and now taking the next step to turn my words into visuals. i just bought the HVX200 a coupla months ago, have an oktava mk012a microphone, boompole, windscreen, shockmount, etc. i also plan on creating my own soundtrack music and am working with a Korg Triton keyboard, boss br-1180 mixboard and a Fender strat guitar. on software i working with FCP Studio 5.1.2 and the Adobe CS2 suite.

currently working on my first short film and will be posting it on my website at www.jamescarveronline.com hopefully sometime in January. it's such a pain trying to coordinate actors/crew and my own schedule......i'm learning patience everyday but not by choice. :)

Rob Lohman December 9th, 2006 08:05 PM

Hi James, welcome aboard DV Info Net, good to have you with us!

Solomon Chase December 9th, 2006 08:25 PM

Welcome to dvinfo James!

I have a similar story. I was working full time as an interactive designer, and using it to finance filmmaking. I recently left my job to devote all my energy to it but I am still freelancing on some web design jobs.

If you need any help on your short film or other projects, I'd be more than glad to help. I also have some good connections with other atlanta filmmakers and VFX artists

- Solomon

James Carver December 10th, 2006 08:51 AM

solomon: ah...sounds like we're on the same page my friend. i could definately use some tips. i'm actually looking for a good spot to get some nice timelapse footage of the city turning day to night - do you know what the best spot for that would be downtown? have you done any short films? always happy to meet fellow filmmakers. what's the best email for you? PM? or just shoot me a line through my contact info on my website.

Rob: hey thanx man glad to be here and network.

Philip Williams December 10th, 2006 01:49 PM

Hey James, welcome to dvinfo. Nice to see more Atlanta area members here.

Monte Raynor December 10th, 2006 07:55 PM

Welcome to the A

Welcome to Atlanta. Your website is very impressive. I look forward to your short film in January.

John Thompson December 11th, 2006 05:56 AM

Hi everyone.
Iam in Atlanta and work in Telecommunications. We have a large Video dept with some great gear. At home, my son and I have 2 DVX 100a Pannys,
Steadicam Flyer, wireless and shotgun mics and more. We just ordered the RedRocks M2 35mm adaptor and a Bartek wireless system for focus pulls. We have shot some music videos and a few independent features. Look forward to speaking with you all.
Take care.

Solomon Chase December 13th, 2006 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Thompson
Hi everyone.
Iam in Atlanta and work in Telecommunications. We have a large Video dept with some great gear. At home, my son and I have 2 DVX 100a Pannys,
Steadicam Flyer, wireless and shotgun mics and more. We just ordered the RedRocks M2 35mm adaptor and a Bartek wireless system for focus pulls. We have shot some music videos and a few independent features. Look forward to speaking with you all.
Take care.

Cool Gear... I've been using Canon XL2 and DVX100a with the redrock M2. I'm getting a Brevis35 soon. What I'm most interested in is the Bartek system. What does a fully working wireless focus pulling system cost?

Do you have a website with any work samples?

John Thompson December 13th, 2006 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solomon Chase
Cool Gear... I've been using Canon XL2 and DVX100a with the redrock M2. I'm getting a Brevis35 soon. What I'm most interested in is the Bartek system. What does a fully working wireless focus pulling system cost?

Do you have a website with any work samples?

Hi Solmon,
We have been renting the Bartek but just ordered one 2 days ago. System with motor and focus gears is aprox 4k. How do you like your M2? My son who does the Steadicam has been using a M2 with the HVX200 recently and just loves the look. I looked at there footage the other night and it was awesome.

Solomon Chase December 13th, 2006 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Thompson
Hi Solmon,
We have been renting the Bartek but just ordered one 2 days ago. System with motor and focus gears is aprox 4k. How do you like your M2? My son who does the Steadicam has been using a M2 with the HVX200 recently and just loves the look. I looked at there footage the other night and it was awesome.

Yeah I've got great stuff out of the m2, as long as it's turned, it's very hard to get grain to show up. I'm getting the brevis Because it's weighs less than the M2, and loses less light. You also don't need to have rails so it will be great for run and gun (and flying on cheaper stabilizers that have weight limits)

John Thompson December 14th, 2006 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solomon Chase
Yeah I've got great stuff out of the m2, as long as it's turned, it's very hard to get grain to show up. I'm getting the brevis Because it's weighs less than the M2, and loses less light. You also don't need to have rails so it will be great for run and gun (and flying on cheaper stabilizers that have weight limits)

The HVX with the M2 seems to be a perfect weight from what my son told me. Flying the DVX, is puts some additional weight to help balance it out.

Garrison Hayes December 14th, 2006 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Carver
new dude here living in atlanta. right now i work in web/graphic design as a day job and making the move to filmmaking. i've been writing screenplays and stories in general for seven years and now taking the next step to turn my words into visuals. i just bought the HVX200 a coupla months ago, have an oktava mk012a microphone, boompole, windscreen, shockmount, etc. i also plan on creating my own soundtrack music and am working with a Korg Triton keyboard, boss br-1180 mixboard and a Fender strat guitar. on software i working with FCP Studio 5.1.2 and the Adobe CS2 suite.

currently working on my first short film and will be posting it on my website at www.jamescarveronline.com hopefully sometime in January. it's such a pain trying to coordinate actors/crew and my own schedule......i'm learning patience everyday but not by choice. :)

Hey!
Good to know i have someone else here in the A...thought i was all alone on this forum for a minute.

I'm a director and i'm looking for a writer and a producer as of right now...maybe we can talk about some things.

G. Hayes

James Carver December 14th, 2006 01:45 PM

cool man shoot me an email.

:)