Newbie to this forum and the XM2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old January 5th, 2004, 10:59 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Newbie to this forum and the XM2

Hello all

I'm a presenter (mostly corporate video), voiceover (also mostly corp and the odd radio ad) and occasional actor (just done a pilot for a comedy sketch show for HTV in the UK and soon to be seen at Richmond Theatre playing Tevye in Fiddler on the Roof!).

As the nature of presenting work is somewhat precarious (and the wolves are often at the door) I recently decided to turn my hand to being on the other side of the camera as a way of supplementing my sporadic revenues. Hmmm . . . different set of rules behind the lens, eh?

Anyway, as I have had a lot of experience working for the IT industry and built up a pretty good contact book I've just started offering my services filming IT-related seminars and events. Early days yet but fingers crossed.

My first client has asked me to put together some training material and we're doing this in a self-parodying spoof style using Action Man, Ken and Barbie as employees in a badly run company. It's a bit like Video Arts meets Thunderbirds and lots of fun to make. Not quite what I was expecting to be doing but if it works out it will make a good showreel.

As part of the deal they have bought me (on a kind of permanent loan so I don't have the expense of hiring kit) an XM2 plus an Ianiro lighting kit, radio mic, shotgun mic etc etc. I love it!

I'm still very much getting to grips with the subject(s) and I'm reading voraciously. I'm sure I'll be corrected if this is off the mark, but one of the best general books I've read and heartily recommend is Focal Press Video Production Handbook. Also, 303 Digial Filmmaking Solutions from McGraw Hill has a load of useful nuggets.

Well, that's me. Nice to be here.

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2004, 11:13 AM   #2
Wrangler

Hey Ian let me welcome you to the forum.

Another Brit, and much more closer to home!! - only took 2 years

I live in the North Hants area what about you?

The XM2 is a very nice camera and if I had the money it would be my second camera - demoting my Sony TRV900

Well if your near by don't forget to call!!!

You'll find this board has a lot of extremely good and useful messages.

All the best,

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2004, 11:28 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Ed - thanks for such a speedy and friendly welcome!

I've been looking at the board for a few weeks now and yes, there are LOADS of goodies to be had. I'm a Vegas user so I was delighted to see a forum dedicated to it. Great stuff.

North Hampshire, eh? Me too. Yateley (can't get much further north in Hampshire). Whereabouts are you?

Cheers!

Ian . . .
Old January 5th, 2004, 11:34 AM   #4
Wrangler

Just along the A30 west of Basingstoke.

Well I use Premiere and Xl1

Take care,

Ed

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2004, 11:39 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Are you in the Basingstoke video club? I ask because I made a 45 minute remake of A Chorus Line with a bunch of 10 - 17 year olds last summer and I was invited to come along and show it at one of their meetings.

Cheers . . .Ian . . .
Old January 5th, 2004, 12:11 PM   #6
Wrangler

No i'm not part of the Basingstoke video Club. I did consider it.

Ed

Ed Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood