DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Howdy 2006 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/1996-howdy-2006-a.html)

Boyd Ostroff March 3rd, 2006 07:50 AM

Welcome aboard Chris! That sounds like a very cool gig - congratulations.

John Brickner Jr March 14th, 2006 02:01 AM

New kid on the block from Ohio.

First off, i've been browsing these forums for the past few months and I must say this place is great for information with smart and intelligent discussions. Let me introduce myself. My name is John, im 23 years old and a recent college grad. I grad with an associate in Digital Multimedia from Terra Community College in Fremont, Ohio. I'm now adventuring into the exciting world of event videography. It's been a slow process but patience will be a virtue if I am to succeed. I use a Panasonic DVC30 with a RODE videomic. I also utilize the ever popular iRiver/Giant Squid combo as far as audio for now. At least until I can get a halfway decent wireless system. I have a few wedding gigs booked (friends weddings) so I can use those as a good refereal base. I also have a spring musical booked later in March. So things are looking good. I look forward to meeting all of your aquaintances.

Lorinda Norton March 16th, 2006 10:12 AM

Hiya John!

Sounds like you've got things pretty well mapped out. That's cool. Hope it all works out for you, and have fun!

Rob Lohman March 18th, 2006 07:03 AM

Hi John, welcome aboard (H)DVInfo.net, good to have you with us!

Daniel Hollister March 20th, 2006 03:52 PM

Groups to join in LA?

So I'm a filmmaker/student who recently moved to Orange County, and now I'm looking to move into LA within the next couple months.

My question is, what are the best groups to join for filmmaking? I was going to join IFP, but then it became FIND... so I'm still thinking of joining up, but what are some other useful groups to join to network with people? Preferably ones with some good people and that won't break my college student budget. ;)

Thanks.

Don Donatello March 20th, 2006 07:35 PM

take a look at
http://www.group101films.com/

Richard Weiss March 21st, 2006 09:52 AM

Hello from Oakland, CA

Hello to all. I've been in the television Biz for 26 years. Mostly News and documentary for broadcast consortiums. Well it's time for the old dog to learn new tricks! Working w/ folks that want an all digital (really digital, no tape!), multi-cam solution for field production. AAMOF the final product will be a stream to internet. I'd guess you'd call it Multicam DFP.

Rob Lohman March 21st, 2006 10:06 AM

Hello Richard, welcome aboard (H)DVInfo.net, good to have you with us!

Karl Heiner March 21st, 2006 10:38 AM

welcome richard,

i am in the antioch area, and consider myself at beginner level xl1-s.

greetings

Logan Bright March 21st, 2006 04:18 PM

Hey hey~

Hey hey all. Just got the validation email (finally), and now am ready to post and contribute to this forum, of which I've been lurking for a good while.

Well, I'm a PC user running Premiere Pro 1.5. Now, I'm not very good at editing or anything, but I get by. I have one camera, a Samsung PoC (Piece of Crap) but it works decently well.

I'm currently in grade 12, taking a Communications course, and that's where I do all my work. I'm studying to become an English teacher, so that means University soon - but for now, I get all the fun of DV =)

So thanks for having me on your forums, I look forward to working with you~

~Loggie B

Rob Lohman March 21st, 2006 05:05 PM

Hi Logan, welcome aboard (H)DVInfo.net, good to have you with us!

Steve Sirinides March 24th, 2006 04:51 PM

No Athenians?

Can't seem to find many Greeks running around these boards. I've seen one, but haven't heard much from him. Any other closet-Greeks hiding out here? No need to be ashamed...it took me ten years to buckle-down and decide to stay in this country. Ironically, I'm going to have to leave it soon. Perhaps I'll run into some video-loving friends in Scotland.

So how about that Athenian roll-call?

Robert Aldrich March 27th, 2006 12:25 AM

Group 101 films

I joined this group a few months back with the intention of getting together with a few other filmmakers to write/direct some short scenes and then sequences, then films.

When I finally did the whole thing and logged on, I tried to list myself as a director as that is my main intent, and to my surprise, they only offer categories for crew! They apparently aren't accepting directors as members, but are only a bunch of would-be directors looking for free crew! Amazing!

Now, I realize everyone wants to be a director, but what cheek!

I queried them on this in a comments box, (I could find no "contact" link) and the next time I logged on, I couldn't get in. Apparently my account had been deleted right away!

Who are these people, anyway, who claim to have produced so many films! And not even have a way to contact them?

So from that little experience, I realized, you have to make your own contacts in Hollywood, and that isn't hard, there are PLENTY of filmmakers around this town, just stand on any corner and tap someone going by, and you're likely to find one. I've done several projects since.

The most sage advice I've had on filmmaking in this town has been from an European filmmaker, who I met for thirty seconds at a traffic light, (and he was on a racing bike), he said, "Just keep doing projects".

And of that, there are almost too many to be found around Hollywood. You have to turn the worst of them down left and right.

Bill Porter March 27th, 2006 09:39 AM

I went to an Athenian high school. True story.

There might not be any other Athenians here but maybe there are some Spartans...

Theodoros Chliapas March 27th, 2006 01:33 PM

No Athenian, but Kozanian at least :-). I visit Athens 5 or 6 times in the year. I was at the Platforma 05 video festival past October.

Btw, i feel the same as you. I want to leave this country...