DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Hello From South Florida (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/23242-hello-south-florida.html)

George Gerez December 10th, 2002 01:46 PM

Miami, Dade Broward Florida People

Hello everyone, Local to Miami Florida.

I would like to meet other NL Editors, Camera people, Students, from this area. to share ideas, and assist in shoots or editing. I am very open minded and creative.

My background is computer arts, audio, and remixing music. If you ever need assistance give me a call. I am also open to helping people Amateur or Experts in Video Editing, DVD, and Shooting, College or low budget documentries or low budget movie or commercial shoots.

Have fun, and Happy Holidays.
(954)441-4446

Tim Joseph January 11th, 2003 01:39 PM

I'm up north in Orlando but I thought I'd say hello! Name's Tim. I have an xl-1s and avid and am interested in documentaries and just about anything anyone wants to hire me to do. I've been trying to do some documenaries but my subjects seem to be too busy. I'll shoot a day or two and they disappear on me. Ah well. Atleast i have my paying customers!!

K. Forman January 12th, 2003 09:12 AM

Hello all!
I'm up on the East coast of Fla, in Palm Bay. I'm also in much the same setup and situation as both of you. Some equipment, experience, and an edit system. Of course, not enough work or decent help to really make a go of it.

I have taped some music performances, events, and lots of editing for SurfGuru.com. I also have done some animation/3D, but none of serious caliber... yet.

In any case, it is always great to meet new folks, and exchange stories and ideas, even work together from time to time. You never know where you might end up :)
Keith

Imran Zaidi January 13th, 2003 12:20 PM

I'm in the Orlando area too. GL-2 rig with the usual assortment of audio/video equipment. Web developer by trade, but doing the filmmaking thing on the side...

Imran Zaidi

Johnny Fernandes February 15th, 2003 04:10 AM

Shooting In Fl.

Hello to all,

I have been reading the threads daily and have started one or two like the other day, where can we get some Ballcaps that say DV like in a black hat.

Anyways

I'm Videoscape and I reside along Florida's Space Coast, Brevard County. That is really close to Orlando Fl. if anyone is a shooter, editor, sound editor, or just really anybody interested in production action, mail me at

Videoscape@cfl.rr.com

This place Rocks!!!!!!!

Chris Hurd February 15th, 2003 12:56 PM

Looks like I'll be in your neck of the woods next week... I'm doing a Dell Call Center blitzkrieg through Florida, for Canon USA. Wednesday I'm in North Orlando, Thursday I'm in Fort Pierce.

We're working on the ball cap thing. Look for an announcement coming soon.

Since you've registered, we've changed our forum policy here at DV Info Net and we're encouraging the use of real names (it's now a requirement, in fact). Please take a look at http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/misc.php?action=faq#name and shoot me an e-mail so I can update your account info.

And if you want to get together for coffee or a beer (preferably beer) next week, then let me know! Welcome aboard,

Imran Zaidi February 15th, 2003 01:01 PM

I actually live a mile from downtown Orlando myself... Chris, what is it you guys at Canon are doing with Dell? Anything interesting for us consumers?

Don Parrish February 16th, 2003 08:30 AM

A friend of mine is a dell rep for convergys in Orlando. I live about 30 miles NW in Lake county. If you need anything while your here just email. Maybe I could bribe you with beer to change my username now.

K. Forman February 16th, 2003 07:03 PM

I'll be in Orlando Tuesday, for the WEVA seminar. It will be a long day. I signed up for everything from 9:00 AM to 10:00 PM.
Keith

Chris Hurd February 18th, 2003 07:08 AM

Convergys is where I'll be in fact. Looks like I'll be on the North Orlando side on Thursday afternoon the 20th... I'm wrapping up at 4pm. If any of you guys want to meet for dinner up in that area, shoot me a phone number by email. Hopefully I'll get it; depends on the hotel internet access situation.

Trey Perrone March 15th, 2003 04:55 PM

i used to werk for convergys there, its in lake mary. i highly recommend the resteraunt across lake mary boulevard there, stonewood. great food. the bartender is my old roommate. god i miss that weather...

Joe Carney April 19th, 2003 07:21 PM

Hmmm, just how many Floridians are on this board? Especially Vegas users from FL?

K. Forman April 20th, 2003 08:49 AM

Joe-
Yes to Fla resident, sometimes to Vegas. How's that?

Mike Moncrief April 24th, 2003 06:43 PM

In Fl.

Hello,

right outside of Orlando Florida.. Have PDX10, NLE editing sytem, AfterEffects, Lightwave, Photoshop and more..

Mike Moncrief
www.digitalcanvas.net

Carolyn Burgess April 30th, 2003 08:13 AM

Hello from South Florida. I joined the boards a few weeks ago. Its good to see so many Floridians.

Bob Benkosky April 30th, 2003 11:35 PM

West Palm Beach area here.

Mark Richman May 1st, 2003 07:38 AM

Altamonte Springs here

Hello again,

I just joined the Professional Videographers of Central Florida organization. Between this online community and the members of the organization things are moving fast for me. Anyone in orlando thats interested go the their website at pvcf.org

Mark

Bob Benkosky May 1st, 2003 07:49 AM

That site leaves some nice pop ups, lol.

Anyhow.... It would be nice to get some work since we have all this technology at our disposal.

K. Forman May 1st, 2003 08:20 AM

Careful what you wish for Bob... I said the same thing, and then answered an ad on Mandy.com. Now, I'm driving 3 hours to Miami for a 1 hour shoot. If I didn't have an SUV gashog, I could almost make something :)

Joe Carney May 11th, 2003 04:08 PM

Hello to other Fl people, I'm in Boca. Been on this great board for awhile.

Brian Gasper July 25th, 2003 07:20 AM

Hello to shooters in the Florida Keys and South Miami

Hello everyone
As Ive wrote in the past Im living and working out of
Key West , Florida
I just would like to express my thanks to this commuinty board
Ive met many cool and intresting people though this board
and would like to again say
Keep the emails coming!!!
I really love to hear what everyone is up too.

My Email address is dwelsdfl@excite.com

To View my info and stuff like that scroll down to my last message on this message board and allow me to introduce myself to you.

Keep up the good work DVinfo

Regard's

Brian Gasper
dwelsdfl@excite.com
Key West, Florida USA

Richard R Rivera August 10th, 2003 08:00 PM

Im New To the forum

Hi Every one, I want to introduce my self to the forum and tell every one that this forum is the greates. I have found out a lot of things thats helped me in a quick amount of time.

Now about my self, I live in sunny south florida were its raining or full of steamy hot weather. I live in miami and Have taken up TV Productions in college.

I had a goal to get a high end digital camcorder since i wanted to film a documentary style movie and the analog cameras i had just didnt fit the bill. These Cameras i had were Hi 8 and did there job for little movies i did but lacked the proffessinal look and feel. I own the Sony ccd TRV 818 with wide angle lens and the Canon ES75. Both cameras are nice and have good qualities about them. So i decided to to some research and found a few high end cameras, my choices were Sony pd150, JVC GVy 550 and the Canon XL1s, and then theres the Canon GL2. There were a few others but those cameras were off the chain when it came to money price. It was a tos up between the xl1s and the GL2 and both cameras were tied in the system department. then i saw the the cost it would take to buy all the other parts to get the xl1s right and decided that thegl2 had every thing i would need at a lower cost than the xl1s.

About 3 months ago I bought a Canon GL2 and I Am very happy with it so far. I paid $2,700.00 for this camera, some people have told me i paid too much for and others have told me that I did ok. I on the other hand feel that iI got a good deal so far and its a great camera. I decided to learn as much as i could about this camera as posible before doing a shoot. So i have found out that this camera is simple to use but yet a little bit complext. Since i have taken Tv productions 1 this summer i have lerned a lot about using cameras and feel ill do a great job filming. I am now taking Tv productions 2 for this fall to learn more about tv. My goal is to work for a tv station as a TD= Technical Director. Were learning on a grass valley Digital switcher.

Im also getting ready to learn Avid Express DV pro 3.5 and i have a ibook so i want to also learn final cut pro 3 as well. What i know how to use is Primier 6 and Pinnacle 8. My back groung in computer goes way back when the first pd 11 came out and i have been a A+ tech since 1993. Im also a web master and desing in flash as well. As far as 3D programs goes i use Maya 4 and 3 DS Max. I kina lean more towards Maya.

What i woul;d like to know from this forum is how do you get free actors to show up to a shoot, and were is the best place to find actors to be filmed on my indapendant film for free. Also Im looking for crew people as well like doly operaters and grips, lighting people, also looking for assitant directors.

I am glad i found this forum and you all seem to be very nice and honest people here, keep up the good work.

K. Forman August 10th, 2003 09:05 PM

A fellow Floridian! Hello, and welcome. You'll find quite a few of us here. As far as "free" actors, I'm not sure they exist. You could try placing fliers in local Drama classes. That might get you a few. Good luck.

Frank Granovski August 11th, 2003 01:19 AM

Welcome to the dvi forums, Richard. It's always nice to trap another soul! :)

Humby Valdes August 22nd, 2003 08:15 PM

Yo Richard 305 in da house!

I'm also new here. Let me know if you have any projects you need help on cuz I have this thing I wanna do (in Jan 2005) and I'm gonna need alot of practice to get it done right.

I plan to get the xl1s in Oct.

Bernard Diaz August 24th, 2003 09:22 AM

Que pasa Richard!
Miami is a great place to visit and live. I was jus there in May, yet it seems so long ago. What I love most about Miami is the culture. I would move there in a New York minute if I could keep my current salary.
Good luck in school. Technical Director is an awesome position, but don't forget to also learn as much as you can in other areas of Broadcasting such as Director, Floor Manager, Studio/Field Camera Operator, Lighting etc...
Remember, these other skills could help you get in the industry.
As a college graduate you may want to land that dream TV job and you may, but don't be too proud to work for a local cable station coming out of college. You could get valuable experience here and this experience can help you get that dream job and that "Long Money".
Re: the talent and crew, I agree with Keith. Post flyers in the Student Center, Communications building at you're school or other local schools. You may not have to pay them with money but you must feed them at the very least. Pizza, sandwiches, coffee/soda, bagels should suffice.
Remember they want to get as much experience as you do so I truly believe that you will generate interest if you post these flyers. Don't forget to mention in your flyer that food and beverages would be provided on the set. You don't want to have a hungry hot sweaty crew when things don't go as planned on the set.
Welcome to the board and good luck in your endeavors.

K. Forman August 24th, 2003 09:53 AM

Most 'free' talent are also just looking to add to their resumes. or just to say they were in a movie. Mention full credits, and a copy of the finished movie, it may help draw them in.

I just got a second response from a guy in Louisiana, looking for lead experience. Even after saying it was a low budget movie, and pay may or may not be availabe. Gotta love that kind of determination!

Joe Carney August 25th, 2003 08:00 PM

Bienvenido a Miyameeeeeeee!!!

Uh, I think I got that part of the Will Smith song right, not sure...

Anyway, welcome to one of the best places on the digital filmmaking net.

Scott Corkran October 29th, 2003 10:34 AM

clearwater fla

hello, i am tv newscast director at a local station and really like this site and suggest to my friends and co-workers.

i have a gl2, a g4 imac w/ fce, lowell lights and a music library. i'm parterned in a business called optical imagery we do music videos, comos, and industrial stuff. we are pretty busy on the west coast of fla. if you have any needs drop me an email corkysr@msn.com

scott

Jim Quinlan October 29th, 2003 12:41 PM

Hi Scott and welcome to this forum. It really does have a lot of good information and interesting people. I'm also in Clearwater Florida so if you need help or another camera (DVX100) in your productions, drop me a line @ tap5s@yahoo.com.

Jeff Donald October 29th, 2003 02:37 PM

Another West Coast Florida person, welcome aboard Scott.

K. Forman October 29th, 2003 03:17 PM

I swear there is a cult in Clearwater that is breeding video people!

Jeff Donald October 29th, 2003 03:28 PM

There's a cult in Clearwater allright, not sure about the breeding video people part.

Mark Schraeger December 11th, 2003 11:09 PM

Florida newby eager to get involved.

Hi, another Florida newby here. A newby to this board and a newby to DV. I've had my camera (don't laugh but it's a digital 8) for a couple of years, but have used it sparingly so far: Vacations and such. I bought it the day before I left for Fantasy Fest in Key West in 2001. I got some very interesting footage, for those who know what Fantasy Fest is.

I edited the footage with Ulead VideoStudio--the software that came with the firewire card--which was my introduction to the joys and frustrations of editing. I think I did quite a good job considering I knew absolutely nothing about shooting or editing. And I loved every minute of it! I've since obtained Adobe Premeire 6--an entirely different experience than Ulead VideoStudio which doesn't even have separate audio and video tracks--and used it to edit some vacation footage. Even with the frustrations of learning that program, it was still a lot of fun. And it turned out pretty well. I sent a copy to my friend who I visited in Seattle, and she said she laughed so hard she almost puked. I still have A LOT to learn though, but I'm getting there.

I've since ordered a new powerhouse computer from Dell (specs in profile), and plan on expanding my video making to more than just vacation videos or girls gone wild at Fantasy Fest videos. I guess I'll also need to upgrade my camera as well.

Anyway, I'd be willing to colaborate with any of you in and around the Sarasota area. Like I said I have a lot lot learn, but I'm feeling eager to get involved in a movie or documentary of some sort. I'd be willing to help out in any way on someone's project, from being an actor (I have stage experience) to scouting for locations, to operating a camera, to holding a cardboard light reflector. I just want to be involved in the process and learn.

I just finished watching Jim Jarmusch's Down By Law, and it really inspired me to want to get involved in something now. I do have a full time job that has nothing to do with movie making that could get in the way however (retail, bad time of year). But don't we all? At least most of us anyway.

Glad to be here,

Mark

Rob Lohman December 12th, 2003 05:43 AM

Welcome aboard Mark! Glad to have you with us. Sounds like
you are gearing up for an interesting year with a lot of video
stuff going on eh. I wish you all the best with that. Thank you
for introduction on the boards here!

Jemal Hayes December 17th, 2003 06:33 PM

hello from vero beach

Yea, hello from the treasure coast. holla!

Douglas Call March 20th, 2004 08:48 AM

Hello From South Florida

I mainly shoot fashion events in the South Beach, Miami and Coral Gables area. Currently using a Sony DCR-TRV900 and a JVC-GY5000. Do editing with Adobe Premier 6.5 and use Smartsound for royalty free soundtracks.

Also interested in shooting 5 minute thrillers and other DV short videos.

my video oriented website is www.videofame.com

Rob Lohman March 21st, 2004 05:46 AM

Welcome aboard Douglas! Good to have you with us!

Adam Ball March 28th, 2004 05:02 AM

Hello from Gainesville, Florida

Hello all,

Thank you Chris Hurd and all others involved for creating this site. It is an invaluable resource.

My girlfriend of six years and I have recently started a production company in Gainesville, Florida. She is a graduate of the University of Florida and I am still attending. Since our company's inception six months ago, we have dabbled in commercials, educational dvds for the college, documentaries, music videos, model shoots, stop-motion animation, and some short narrative pieces. Our website is http://www.yournextvideo.com. While its a good web address, the content on the site is pretty bad right now. It will be completely overhauled within a few months. For software, we mainly use FCP 4, Adobe CS, Adobe AE, DVDSP2. Hardware consists of a dual 867 g4, one xl1s, a modest light kit....just finished making a DIY 6' x 6' scrim jim, a glidecam 4000, a cardiod mic and a number of other odds and ends. We are also both avid divers. Thats my fallback plan----if the video company doesnt work out---i'll use my dive master certification and become a dive bum. If anyone in Gainesville is reading this, and wants to talk about possible future collaborations---drop us a line at adam@yournextvideo.com. Gainesville residents----please keep an eye out this summer for "Cheaters"----a new short from High Noon Productions.

take care

Rob Lohman March 28th, 2004 05:21 AM

Welcome aboard Adam and good luck with your site!