New Member from York, SC saying Hi. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old May 2nd, 2009, 09:44 AM   #1
New Boot

New Member from York, SC saying Hi.

I found this board a few months ago, and it has become my new go-to source for equipment info and DV tips.

About me:

I'm a 29 year old film school grad (in '02), who's slowly entering the professional realm of videography. After graduating film school I sorta fell into the world of corporate audio visual out of a necessity to pay the bills. I moved to the Carolinas about 2 years ago, and I've been working as a freelance technician around the greater Charlotte, NC area.

As audio visual work has slowed recently, I've been trying to get a few entry level gigs with a GL1 I was given last year. I don't really have a lot of gear yet, and it seems this place has a lot of advice on what to buy.

Despite the few novice level gigs I have under my belt, I'm a fairly proficient behind the camera, can edit reasonably well for a non-professional, and I'm getting the hang of DVD authoring.

Here's what I'm working with for better or worse.

A Mac mini 1.42 G4 with:
Final Cut 5.0
DVD Studio Pro 2 (I think)
Epson R220 Printer (for making DVD cover art)
Photoshop CS1

My camera equipment:
Canon GL1 (free from a family member)
Audio Techica Atr-55 (my 1st purchasing error)
ATR-35 Lavalier
Davis & Sanford Provista Tripod (awaiting via UPS)
A few extra batteries and a cheap wide angle lens.

My research is ongoing and I plan on upgrading and acquiring equipment in the next year or so as I get the funds. Although I'm sorta at a disadvantage with my GL1, because everyone seems to be going HD these days. But I'll make due with what I have for now, as I don't have the $2000+ to invest in a new camera right now.

Anyway at the expense of making this any longer, I will say that I have loved my GL1 so far and I have shot plenty of footage on it, despite a lot of it being amatuer stuff. Anyway hello to everyone here on the forums.

Here's a few links to stuff I've uploaded.

YouTube - mhanlen1's Channel

mhanlen1's photosets on Flickr
Mark Hanlen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood