Hello From Nova Scotia! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old June 10th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Hello From Nova Scotia!

Hello everyone, I'm Greg and I've been lurking around here for the past month or two.

I'm 17 and I work as a freelance computer technician and web designer, though like video, they're more like hobbies that pay a little bit. I don't get a lot of business, though if I did advertising and such I'm sure that I'd get more. As of now, school and keeping the family's fleet of PC's running is enough for me without getting much more heavily into it. Then there's liability, so I'm keeping my work small-time for now.

I've always been into computers and video to some extent, I think my first "movie" I made in the 6th grade with a Sony DCR-HC40 (which I still own and use as a tape deck) and Pinnacle Studio 9 about drug abuse. I keep meaning to dig out the VHS tape and digitize it, since it's the only copy I have left of it. I'm curious to see now just how badly it was shot and edited.

My real start into video came last year when I made it to high school. Drama at my highschool is run by a well known local comedien, and for the prior 3 years have been making 50 minute feature films. They applied for grants every year and have now aqquired a Canon GL2, XL2, a couple of wireless mics, a Mac Pro with FCS2, an Azden shotgun mic, and a sound mixer as our primary gear. With each successive movie the quality improves dramatically. For the feature last year, entitled "It's About Vincent!", I worked as boom operator, setup lights and other equipment and was the second cam op as well did about 50% of the editing. We just completed our latest feature, "The Ghost of Nelly Flynn", in which I was D.O.P. and camera operator for about 95% of the film, I also edited most of the movie.

The experience is impossible to put a value on. With each successive shoot the results keep looking and sounding better and better. As I become more confident with the camera I find myself getting more creative with much better results.

I recently snagged a Canon GL2 off of eBay and I think I've just about got the camera figured out. I believe that over the summer I will be filming a couple of shorts just for fun and I hope to do a little bit of event videography. I'm open to just about anything that my gear will permit me to do now. I believe that I will be shooting and editing a PSA through connections at school.

As of now, my gear consists of:
- Canon GL2
- Dell Latitude E6400 (2.26ghz, 128Gb SSD, Intel x4500)
- Pinnacle Studio 11
- 35 year old hunk of flexible aluminum trying to be a video tripod (my dad's old photography tripod, it's pretty bad but usable after I disassembled the head and regreased the whole thing)

Luckily, I am able to borrow equipment from the school during the school year as I need it.

Well, that's my story. I'm just starting out and if anyone has any advice for me, please do share it.

Thanks,
Greg
Greg Donovan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood