How I came to be part of the digital film world. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old March 31st, 2004, 12:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How I came to be part of the digital film world.

For starters, I am currently serving time as a domestic godess, and don't think I will be venturing back into the 9 to 5 office world anytime soon. Not because of Bush or the economy... but... I will keep you posted (and no, I am not coming into a large sum of money). Hopefully my camera will be helpful one of these days in my road to fame and fortune!

Anywho... here is my story.

I was never a fan of digital anything. I always assumed that the photos taken were all grainy and I didn't care for what I saw. I had been out of the photography scene for a number of years (I still have my trusty Minolta 101 from my Colorado Institute of Art days, back in the late 70's). What changed my mind is this:

I love watching documentaries. There were 2 that I know of about the events taking place before and after the WTC 9/11 tragedy. They were "Telling Nicholas" and "9/11".

9/11 was filmed by the Naudet brothers (Jules and Gedeon). Two French brothers. As you may or may not know, some of the footage shot was actually filmed from inside one of the two towers.

One of the scenes took place in the fire house. (the movie was originally shot to film a rookie firefighter in training). Lo and behold... there was a digital video camera in plain sight... sitting on a table.

I was very surprised and quite impressed. I did not realize at just how good of a result could be obtained from a digital camera! I immediately set out on the 'net and did my research. I found out the camera used in "9/11" was a Sony PD150. I also found reference to the VX2000... the baby brother of the PD150. With the exception of 2 or 3 differences, both cameras are relatively the same.

My next stop on the 'net was e-Bay. After much searching... I found the camera I have today on "half"... a part of e-Bay. I purchased my camera from a film student turned professional who didn't have time to use his VX2000 anymore. The camera came to me in pristine condition, with many extras. I paid $2,300 for what I believe would cost be $4,000 anywhere else.

So that's basically it on who I am. This website is helping me in a major sort of way!

Thanks guys!
Linda Schodowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2004, 01:45 PM   #2
Outer Circle

Welcome, Linda! Sounds like you got a lot of extras with the VX.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2004, 03:47 PM   #3
Trustee

Welcome aboard!
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2004, 06:34 PM   #4
Wrangler

Hi Linda, and welcome! You will have a great time exploring the capabilities of the VX-2000 and using them creatively. Not that long ago I was just like you, with a new VX-2000 and a strong desire to learn...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 04:11 AM   #5
RED Code Chef

Welcome aboard Linda, good to have you with us. I do want to
place a warning with this eBay shopping. It can be a very
dangerous habit, especially with pricey items like our camera's.

For anyone who is reading this thinking about buying from eBay,
please take a look at the following:

How not to get scammed thread
How not to get scammed article

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 01:24 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Yes... I know EXACTLY what you mean. Alot of the stuff for video in e-Bay are the bait and switch places, most operating out of NYC. You know... the stuff you see in the Videography magazine advertisments.

However, I took a chance at "half" and got a camera that was barely used, and in pristine condition.

Check out some of the customer comments on the stuff sold in e-Bay. Not too good as far as video equipment goes.
Linda Schodowsky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood