DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Greetings from Scotland (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/3324-greetings-scotland.html)

Ross Milligan August 22nd, 2002 09:12 AM

Greetings from Scotland

Hello all

I thought I would introduce myself - now don't yawn!

I work as a Medical Photographer for a District General Hospital in Airdrie, Scotland. Airdrie is sort of in the middle of a triangle formed by Edinburgh, Glasgow and Stirling in the central belt of Scotland.

My primary function is to photograph patients for clinical purposes. If you think of X-ray Departments imaging on the 'inside' of the body then we image on the 'outside'. The majority of our patients come from Accident & Emergency, Dermatology (skins), maxillo-facial (mouth), ENT (nose jobs) and operating theatre.

The department uses an XL1 to record training videos, in the main for surgeons and I use a Pinnacle DV500plus capture system and edit using Permiere V6.

I am delighted to have found this forum and have learned alot already. Can I apologise in advance for the daft questions that will be posted in the future. Presently i am trying to look at the previous postings so I do not repeat things - but there is a lot to read!

Regards to all.

Ross

Ed Smith August 23rd, 2002 03:54 AM

Welcome to the board. I hope you find the info you need, and if not, post daft qestions its the only way you can learn and the only way that others will learn as well.

Use the search facility (top right ^) to find the things you need.

Hope this helps,

All the best from the south of England,

Ed Smith

Rob Lohman August 23rd, 2002 05:26 AM

Welcome aboard Ross! Seems your at least in an interesting
(thought I can imagine, weird) job. So after the movies and the
military hospitals are using the XL1 too. Fun! Good to have
you with us and as Ed pointed out if you cannot find the answer
to one of your questions using the search feel free to post.

Good luck!

Ross Milligan August 23rd, 2002 08:43 AM

Thanks for the welcome chaps. If ever you need any information on filming in an operating theatre - I'm your man ;-)

Regards to all

Ross

Rob Lohman August 23rd, 2002 09:21 AM

Hehe... will keep that in mind. Who knows! Heh.

Ed Smith August 24th, 2002 12:54 PM

I recently saw the XL1 hung on a rig above the operating bed on Holby City on BBC 1 (as a prop). I was wandering whether you do the same sort of thing. I guess it can get quite grusome sometimes.

All the best,

Ed Smith

Andrew Leigh August 25th, 2002 01:16 AM

Hi Ross,

<<Can I apologise in advance for the daft questions that will be posted in the future.>>

There ain't no such thing as a daft question.....only a daft answer.

Have a Mc Ewan's for me....OK then make it a couple.

Nice to see you here.

Cheers
Andrew

Ross Milligan August 26th, 2002 02:03 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Ed Smith : I recently saw the XL1 hung on a rig above the operating bed on Holby City on BBC 1 (as a prop). I was wandering whether you do the same sort of thing. I guess it can get quite grusome sometimes.

All the best,

Ed Smith -->>>

I do not have the benefit of having the camera on a circulating arm - the difference between TV & reality - so I am often up a set of step ladders.

As the old saying goes 'seen one seem them all'. You do need to become detached and not regard what you are filming as a person. I know this sounds hard but you would crack up otherwise! Most people have seem the kind of thing we record but you miss out on the smell........

Glad to be on board.

Ross

Tommy McDonald January 26th, 2003 04:26 PM

Hi from Scotland

I'm glad that I found this site as there is'nt anything like this in the UK.
I recently purchased a Canon XM2 and I am looking forward to using it . I use Pinnacle DV500+ and Abobe Premiere ver 6 to edit. I am a member of Livingston Camcorder Club. We have been going for about 10 years and we have done various video projects about local historical features.
I am looking forward to conversing with other video enthuiasts from all parts of the globe.

Cheers!

Tommy McDonald

Rob Lohman January 27th, 2003 07:38 AM

Welcome aboard Tommy! Hi from across the pond. Glad you've
found us and that you've already found interesting things. See
you around!

John Locke January 27th, 2003 08:12 AM

Howdy from Tokyo, Tommy.

Glad to have you join us! I hope we'll get the chance to see some of the projects you and the Livingston Camcorder Club have made.

In the meantime, we'll see you on the boards.

Ed Smith January 28th, 2003 04:08 AM

Hello from Hampsire,

Nice to see more people from the UK on this forum. I also use Pinnacle DV500 and Adobe 6. Its a powerful tool with lots to learn.

All the best,

Ed Smith

Frank Granovski January 28th, 2003 05:22 AM

Hello from Vancouver, Canada!

John Steele January 30th, 2003 04:55 PM

Hey Tomy, I'm just down the road in Glasgow, I keep meaning to try and find a video club to go to, you don't know of any in the glasgow area do you?

John.

Tor Salomonsen January 31st, 2003 01:56 AM

Hello Tommy,
I'm curious about your "various video projects about local historical features". Are you shooting historical plays, documenting traditional crafts (like distilling) or interviewing old folk?
It's great to see a camcorder club devoting itself to useful community projects.

I'm just across the North Sea from you.

Bill Pryor February 1st, 2003 04:54 PM

Welcome, Tommy. My wife and I were in Scotland in the late '80's. Beautiful country. We went to Inverness but didn't get a photo of the Loch Ness Monster, darn it.

Frank Granovski February 1st, 2003 08:42 PM

There's always the Ogopogo here in BC. I think that the Japanese team has now given up looking for the darn creature.

Bill Pryor February 2nd, 2003 08:55 PM

I was driving on an ice and snow covered road around the edge of Lake Okanagan about 2 in the morning in February one time back in the '80's and I think I saw the Ogopogo. Or, it could have been just the reflection from all the empty Labatt's Blue cans in the back seat....

Frank Granovski February 3rd, 2003 04:01 AM

If you would have had Canadian, or Extra Old Stock, you would have seen 'er for sure. Buck-O-Five (Gimli Goose) works even better.

Ivan Hedley Enger February 3rd, 2003 05:11 AM

Hello from Norway! Welcome aboard.

Ivan

Joe Carney February 8th, 2003 11:17 AM

Welcome from Florida Mr. McDonald. So your from the country that makes the second best whiskey in the world?
Nice to meet you.
You'll find folks here a freindly and informative bunch.

Christopher Hughes February 17th, 2003 03:44 PM

Och Aye The Noo Tommy!!!

Nice to see another fellow British Island Dweller...even if you are on the wrong side of the border...Just Kidding!!! Im from Sunderland so just south of the border.

Its a nice place here...very much glad I found it!!!

Have fun making videos, even if it is hard in our island of lots of rain, but scotlands got some great scenery to film

Ross Milligan February 24th, 2003 07:57 AM

Hello from Airdrie - sorry to say not the Canadian one but the original one 20 minutes along the M8 from you :-)

Regards

Ross

Andrew Petrie March 1st, 2003 09:32 AM

Hello, welcome.

I was born in Aberdeen, and moved out here to Canada when I was 10. I no longer have the thick accent though :)

Neil McLean May 5th, 2003 08:19 AM

Greetings from Scotland

Hello everyone,

I have just purchased my very first DVCAM - a PD150P. It's waiting for me a home, so needless to say I'm like a kid on christmas day!

I've perused this site over the past few days and find it very informative, along with a friendly culture also, which is always welcome.

I'd like to think that next summer I can progress into full time corporate and wedding video production. To this end, I'm considering my mics already.

I plan to keep hold of my 150 for about 12 months or so, then 'move up the ladder'. With this in mind, can someone please recommend a few good wireless (lapel) mics and a better mic for my DVCAM, bearing in mind that I'll probably upgrade next summer.

Any further suggestions would be welcome.

Many thanks and regards,
Neil

Rob Lohman May 5th, 2003 08:54 AM

Welcome aboard Neil! I can imagine it is Christmas for you already
hehe.. I hope you have fun with your camera! I can't offer you
any sound advice because I don't know this field much. If no-one
responds to your audio question please post that question again
in our dedicated audio forum Now Hear This.

Good luck!

Neil McLean May 5th, 2003 02:40 PM

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your encouragement. I've already had a good reponse to one of my questions from Derrik.

I'd didn't really notice the 'Now Hear This' section until after I had posted - thanks all the same!

Cheers,
Neil

Rob Lohman May 5th, 2003 03:17 PM

Your welcome! No problem you didn't spotted the forum. That's
what us wranglers are for (among other things).

Ed Smith May 6th, 2003 04:11 AM

Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your self here.

I use the EV100 from Sennhieser, although the one I have does not have the lapel mic (I went for the XLR adapter thing) it has given me good reseption, and nice quality. But be aware there are licenses one would need to get if used in certain areas, and on certain frequencys.

All the best, From the south of England,

Ed Smith

Neil McLean May 7th, 2003 05:27 AM

Hi Ed,

Thanks for your response.

Do you have any further info in relation to the licensing and freqency issues in the U.K.?

This is something I never evn thought about.

Cheers,
Neil

Ed Smith May 7th, 2003 05:44 AM

For licensing and frequency information:

http://www.jfmg.co.uk

Hope this helps.

There are about 4 frequencys which you do not need a licence for. But at the moment I can't place my hand on it. You will have to bare in mind though, that if you are using the mic on one of these frequencys there maybe other people using it as well. So you will get interferance.

Hope this helps,

Ed

Neil McLean May 8th, 2003 02:54 AM

Thanks Ed,

Something else to bear in mind...

Cheers,
Neil

Andrew Petrie May 8th, 2003 10:03 AM

Fitlike Neil?

I was born scottish but reside in Canada. Lost my accent, but still have the hairy legs!

Neil McLean May 8th, 2003 11:00 PM

Hello Andrew,

I've visited Toronto many times as I have relatives that live in St Catherines.

Do you ever go to the Burns Night ?

Andrew Petrie May 9th, 2003 09:33 AM

I've never done the Burns Night here, I haven't done anything 'Scottish' in a while, too many things on my mind :)

Henry Gray May 4th, 2004 11:23 AM

New Member from Scotland

Hi from the Scottish Borders [gods country]
I recently took early retirement from my job as a lighting engineer to renovate my house and as it is near completion I hope to spend more time using my new XL1s.
I have for many years been interested in wildlife photography using a 35mm camera so with my new equipment I should be able to see them move.
At the moment I am using a Canon XL1s, 1.6 Extender and a Manfrotto tripod and use Pinnacle Studio 8 to edit on my PC.
I would be delighted to hear from anyone in my area with wildlife photography interest

Ed Smith May 4th, 2004 12:19 PM

Hi Henry, welcome to the boards from the south of England. feel free to wonder round and ask questions.

Rob Lohman May 11th, 2004 06:27 AM

Welcome aboard from accross the pond Henry!

Andrew Petrie May 11th, 2004 07:38 AM

Aye, fit like? I'd love to go back to Scotland (born there) for shooting. One day!

Steve McDonald May 15th, 2004 06:09 PM

Welcome, to be sure, from a descendent of your country. You couldn't hope for a more photogenic place to use your cameras. All my folks came over from Leodhas in the Western Isles.

If it's wildlife you're after, and you have that long XL1 lens (1.6X extender recommended), I'd bet you've gone up a bit north to catch the wintering Barnacle, Greylag and Pink-footed Geese. I once raised flocks of these on my farm in Oregon and I've always wanted to visit the homeland with a camcorder to record footage of them and everything else in sight.

The XL1 is one of the best choices for shooting Nature subjects, especially on those long open stretches in your region. One of my older camcorders is a Canon L-1 and with the extender, its 30X pulls in those distant critters very well. My new Sony VX2100 with a 2.2X extender for 26.4X, comes close to it.

If you've tossed off your job and finished the house, you're in prime position to become a hardcore videomaking addict. That's personal experience from which I'm saying that. I worked 12 hours a day for a year to rebuild my own family house and now I'm going wild with the freedom to do as much videomaking and bicycle riding as I want-----sometimes both things together. Good luck in adjusting to this good life and tell us about your video adventures.

Steve McDonald
Eugene, Oregon, USA