New Guy from Huntington Beach at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old October 8th, 2002, 09:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New Guy from Huntington Beach

I received my GL2 kit from Zotz this afternoon. Great people to work with! I'm very satisfied with our relationship. In addition to the standard kit I got a WD-58H wide angle lens, Kata bag, BP945 battery, 128 MMC card, three filters (UVP, Circular pol, ND3), and Panasonic tapes. This should get me started.

A bit about myself and what I do: I'm a quasi-retired prof with a Ph.D. in Comparative Culture (Asian Studies) and a penchant for sailing and skiing. We travel a good deal, mostly in Asia and Mexico, sail whenever we can the year 'round, and ski in Whistler, BC. I plan on continuing this lifestyle as long as I can and continue to photograph it with various equipment. I still have my Canon slrs and a couple of Sony videocams, which got me pointed in this particular direction. I also write a column in the English language section of a local Vietnamese newspaper. It all kind of fits together.

I've been lurking here for a while and have learned a ton. I'm a neophyte big time as far as editing is concerned but I have some basic hardware (I'm sure it is not sophisticated enough but it will have to do for now) and I keep reading and listening. Long ways to go but I'm looking forward to the trip.

Keep enlightening me. I appreciate it,
Sandy
Alexander McLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2002, 09:39 PM   #2

Hello Alexander,

Sounds like you are in a beautiful part of the country! You mention skiing,,, do you plan on using your new XL1S to capture footage of riders on the slopes? If so, I envy you - I used to shoot for Resort Sports Networks (www.rsn.com) in the Mt. Washington Valley and loved shooting ski and snowboard footage. Back then, we had a Panasonic SuperCam (S-VHS) which, because of the lens, performed very well. However, it was still considerable big for that application and, had we been able to use the XL1, I am sure we would have preferred shooting in CanonDV.

So, if you have any questions and comments, please do let us know! I'm looking forwrad to hearing more about your adventures. Ever been up in Northern New England?

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2002, 08:52 AM   #3
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Don Berube : Hello Alexander,

Sounds like you are in a beautiful part of the country! You mention skiing,,, do you plan on using your new XL1S to capture footage of riders on the slopes? If so, I envy you - I used to shoot for Resort Sports Networks (www.rsn.com) in the Mt. Washington Valley and loved shooting ski and snowboard footage. Back then, we had a Panasonic SuperCam (S-VHS) which, because of the lens, performed very well. However, it was still considerable big for that application and, had we been able to use the XL1, I am sure we would have preferred shooting in CanonDV.

So, if you have any questions and comments, please do let us know! I'm looking forwrad to hearing more about your adventures. Ever been up in Northern New England?

- don -->>>

Don, we do indeed like where we live in southern California. My previous attempts to shoot skiers were not terribly successful but I'm hoping my technique has improved. Certainly can't blame the equipment. The circular pol should help but the final result is up to me. Same thing for sailing. My travel shooting has been more successful but my editing really needs work. I'm really looking forward to using my GL2 in all of these areas.

Unfortunately I've never been to northern New England. Someday....

Sandy
Alexander McLeod is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood