Hello from Rhinelander at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old October 8th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #1
Trustee

Hello from Rhinelander

Hello, I am new here. I grew up in Bratislava, Slovakia (though it was Czechoslovakia back then), but have been in the US for the last quarter century or so, and now live in Rhinelander, WI.

When I was about ten (which was in 1960), I saw a kids' movie about some kids my own age (back then) who had a 2x8 mm home movie camera. I was so impressed by it that I saved enough money to buy a camera just like that and was completely obsessed with it for many, many years.

Ever since then, I wanted to be a filmmaker. I wanted to go to FAMU, the filmmaking school in Prague. Alas, my parents strictly forbade it. I then left Slovakia, lived in Vienna, Austria, for a while, then spent four years in Rome, Italy, and finally moved to the US.

All through those years I never lost my desire to be a filmmaker. But life did not let me.

At this time, I am disabled and as such retired from working a job, so I want to finally work on my passion. For starters, I would like to make a documentary about the Hodag, a creature of the local lore here in Rhinelander.

I plan to order the Sony EX3 this coming Monday, as soon as B&H reopens after a week-long holiday. It is a very nice camcorder which will fit in my current budget.

There is just one concern I still have about it and perhaps some of you may offer some insight into it. Namely, the EX3 does not shoot in the true 24 fps mode required by films. If uses the 23.98 fps mode (I have never quite understood why TV engineers chose the xx000/1001 fps speeds instead of just an integer xx fps, but they did and we are stuck with it).

And I keep wondering if transferring EX3 footage shot at 23.98 fps to the 24 fps film will cause the audio and the video to get out of sync. I think that probably not since when it goes in the opposite direction, a 24 fps film transfered to the non-integer 59.98 fps DVD mode, it does not seem to lose synchronization between the video and the audio.

But it would be nice if someone could assure me this is something I do not need to worry about.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood