Hello from Trenton NJ at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old January 16th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #1
Tourist

Hello from Trenton NJ

I've been a wedding stills photographer for over 20 years and I want to get into hd video to explore a new medium. I don't plan on shooting wedding videos for money but maybe use video sparingly at friends or family weddings. My goal is to become proficient at all aspects of video from shooting to editing and then creating discs.

After much research I just purchased a Canon hf s100, several sdhc cards, an extended battery, a Rode video mic, and a small video light bracket to hold the mic. Next I need to purchase a more powerful pc. Everything I've read points to a desktop but I'm going to have to go the laptop route for now as I will be using it mostly for photo business and often need portability. I've read many reviews of various editing software and I'm thinking of getting photoshop 8 premiere/elements bundle since I can use both.

I have many basic questions to ask but I really don't know which sub forum might be geared toward newbies.

Thanks
Ed Eckels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 08:46 AM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Ed!

At one time this was a great starter place for basic questions. Maybe now that you have delivered the "Wake up!" call in the other thread you can ask them right here. If no one jumps in and I can't help you I'll try to round up someone who can. :)
Old January 19th, 2010, 09:16 AM   #3
Tourist

Lorinda,

Thanks.
For starters, Do you know why Elements Premiere 8 gets such horrible reviews online?

Ed
Ed Eckels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 09:38 AM   #4
Wrangler

Don't know about Elements Premiere, but I've used Adobe's Photoshop Elements for years and am amazed at what all they packed in it, especially considering the price. And since I know people who are quite happy with today's Premiere I have a hard time thinking that Elements would be that bad.

As you've probably read here every one of the NLEs has flaws/bugs/quirks. If you have tried any trial versions, generally the one to go with is the one that fits your way of thinking and working the best. And then you may gravitate toward a different editor later.

Let's see if someone who has used Elements Premiere chimes in.
Old January 19th, 2010, 10:32 AM   #5
Wrangler

Wow...after reading some of the magazine reviews plus reader reviews I can say I'd be trying it before buying.

Look really closely at the required specs; sounds like if your computer isn't configured just right you could end up with the problems I had with Premiere years ago: crashes. And those are not good.

Then download the trial version and see how it goes. If your system does well, all's well; otherwise, download the trials to others. I think Sony Vegas has something comparable in price. Movie Studio? Something like that.

Ed, have you checked out the PC threads at www.hdmom.com for editing in the AVCHD format? Might be some good info there! http://www.hdmom.com/forum/working-h...-etc-computer/

Last edited by Lorinda Norton; January 19th, 2010 at 12:18 PM.
Lorinda Norton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood