Elegant Film in Kentucky at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old April 2nd, 2010, 09:24 AM   #1
Tourist

Elegant Film in Kentucky

Hello fellow video buffs! I have been trolling this forum for a long time, and thought it was to time to contribute myself, but first my "bio"

My name is Ryan Hobson. I am a 28 year old video producer from Owensboro, KY. I got my start in 1998 as a camera operator for Adelphia (now Time Warner) cable shooting local sporting events and news coverage. I got bit by the bug and have been addicted ever since. I took 5 years off for the Marine Corps and decided to open my business in Nebraska where we lived in 2007. It was only marginally successful, mainly due to the fact that we lived in a town of 800 and a county of 4000. My business was simply not making enough to support my growing family. Just before I was getting ready to throw in the towel, I got a call from the International Bluegrass Music Museum on Owensboro, KY (my hometown coincidentally). They were looking for an filmmaker for a documentary on Bill Monroe (the father of bluegrass music) to be produced for PBS! After several meetings, I took the contract and relocate my family and business here.

Not to conceded, but I knew I was good at what I did, and not making it Nebraska was pretty disheartening. I have been amazed in the few short months since I have been here the amount of business (and big name business) that I have been getting. On top of the PBS documentary (which be nice on a resume) I have been picked up as the official video producer for the Kentucky Bisons, and pro ABA basketball team here in KY and the national champs 2 years running. Along with a few smaller jobs here or there, my business is finally getting where I dreamed when I first started in only a few years ago. I am looking for my first year actually making a profit!!!

Sorry about the long email. I will end it with my website and a profile of my current equipment! Thanks guys and please drop me aline anytime!

Elegant Film Video Production Services

Equipment

3 Sony HVR HD1000u's (my main work horses)
2 Sony HVR-DR60's (just got them, loving the DTE workflow)
Sony HVR M15au (HDV deck)
2 Sennheiser Evolution Lavs (wireless)
2 Samson Lavs (junk, lesson learned...now my backups)
8ft Kessler Crane
Mac Pro Quad (intel)
FCS 3
21 Terabytes storage

+all the fun toys to go with!

Take care guys and keep up the awesome work, I learn alot here on the forums.

Feel free to hit me up a elegantfilm@gmail.com
Ryan Hobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 01:00 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Congratulations on sticking it out and having the courage to relocate! And welcome to DVi.
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:52 AM   #3
Tourist

Thanks!

Thanks of the welcome Shaun. It has been going well and I use this forum as my own personal knowledge well! Going into a talk tomorrow with a new firm starting up as consultants for churches to update their tech level. They are asking me to come in as their video guy. Might be a good step...or a waste of time!
Ryan Hobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 04:14 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Heck, even the "wastes of time" are useful IF you walk away with some new tidbit of knowledge or a new contact... One of the biggest "wasters of my time" turned out to be one of my best clients - he was just "feeling me out"... Even tire kickers buy SOMETIMES...
Old April 7th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #5
Tourist

Very True~

I guess I should look at it differently! I am meeting with them in a few hours, so I will know more then. Just setting up the meeting introduced me to the guy who is now building my new site, and he is very, very good!
Ryan Hobson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood