Charlottesville, VA member with too many hobbies at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old April 15th, 2010, 09:51 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Charlottesville, VA member with too many hobbies

Hello all. Wanted to introduce myself.

My name is Brad Owens and I have a confession to make, I have too many hobbies.

I work as a recruiter by day, DJ by night. I'm into sound recording and production, photography, videography, play on two sports teams, I'm getting married in 45 days, I'm considered by my friends to be a social media and technology geek, I spend 12 hours minimum a day on my computer and the rest of the time I'm connected to my iPhone. It's ridiculous really.

I graduated from UVA in 2007 with a degree in Psychology but all of my free time was taken up by an internship for the Video Services department focusing on sports video. I was a live event producer, tech director, replay coordinator, camera operator and grip for almost every UVA sporting event for two years and once graduating, I started freelancing as well. I've since stopped that and am now a DJ for the local wedding/bar/club scene. I know I'll be moving in the next two years and moving my DJ business with me will mean restarting from scratch and that's not something I want to do. Instead, I'm going to try to transition back into video and start doing event videography as well as freelancing. That's a while off though so I have plenty of time to perfect my skills and that's also why I've come to DVInfo.

As far as equipment goes, I've got a Canon HV30, a few mics for that, on camera light and a POS tripod. I've been editing on Final Cut Studio 2. That's been keeping me occupied for a while. I just ordered a Canon t2i though with a 24-70mm F/2.8L and 50mm F/1.8 lens to start stepping up the game. It will be a process.

I'm looking to learn all I can from the professionals here and maybe make a few local connections that could turn into some freelance work as well. Do we have many folks here from Charlottesville or Richmond, VA?

Looking forward to the journey!
-Brad
Brad Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 12:56 AM   #2
Wrangler

Welcome to your new hobby, Brad! This place is addictive. :)
Old June 14th, 2010, 04:55 PM   #3
Major Player

Greetings Brad

Do you have an online reel or any work demos?

I'm always looking for a good sound guy

PS - found your website.. looks like we have a mutual acquaintance, Kendra in your PVCC nursing video
Kevin McRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 08:08 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Kevin,

I have yet to set up any reels because honestly, I haven't done any work I'm incredibly proud of yet. I set a goal for myself to have one done soon though. If you're looking for sound, I have the set up to do in studio (read: in office) recording with a few studio mics but nothing mobile yet. Funds are coming to get all the equipment though. Starting this fall I should see my production values really take off.

Let me know if you'd ever like an extra set of hands on a shoot. I'd be glad to help out if I'm free. I'll be doing sidelines video for the UVA Football team so home day games are out.

(wish I could say I knew Kendra. That video was shot by my roommate for his girlfriend and I just edited it all together.)
Brad Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 08:58 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Welcome

This is a good board with great folks, some are a little cranky though. I'll keep you in mind for gigs.

Last edited by Steven Davis; June 22nd, 2010 at 09:00 AM. Reason: iPhone keyboard
Steven Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood