A Guy that Directed a couple One Acts, a Washed Up Rockstar with a Coke Habit & $320. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old April 18th, 2010, 09:03 AM   #1
Regular Crew

A Guy that Directed a couple One Acts, a Washed Up Rockstar with a Coke Habit & $320.

And we are totally going places.

But for now we're in Billings, Montana.

As if I needed another ridiculous project in my life I've finally decided to produce my zero budget film. My backround is in theatre but I've never done anything in video. We do plan to produce and promote the film with the intention of at least breaking even, if not make a little bit to fund a second.

I've had a few sreenplays rattleing around in my head and over the course of the last two weeks I've gotten one on paper, I'm about 50% through the first draft and it's shaping up pretty well. It is written to make use of what I have available and primarily (but not entirely) daytime exterior.

And the title lists pretty much everything I have. I do have a composer who is the lead singer of an above average garage band and can provide sound equipment and very limited portable lighting along with the original score. I have writing/directing/acting/technical experience in the theatre but when it comes to video I don't even know the terminology.

So what do I need?

While the reviews on the Sony HVR-HD1000U seem somewhat mixed, I think for what I'm looking at spending it may be the ticket. Or am I better off looking for something used or renting (not a lot of rental equipment available locally)?

Final Cut Studio has a great price but am I going to wish I'd spent more?

If I buy the right Mac can I do the bulk of the editing and mixing in my basement?

What's a reasonable production schedule for a 30-45 minute film?

Has anyone ever mounted their camera to the landing gear of an airplane? (yes, I do have use of an airplane)

I'll have a serious learning curve but I'm looking forward to it. I've got at least two more screenplays with increasing levels of technical complexity that I'd like to produce in the future.
Ivan Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 09:54 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I don't have much to offer except that final cut studio rocks and you will not be sorry for spending money on that and yes I'm pretty sure you can do it all on the right Mac in your basement.

But mostly I want to say this is the best subject line I've read to date here! I was only let down slightly to find all those descriptions aren't referring to only you :-)
Denise Wall is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood