Advice on L.A. living at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old July 29th, 2005, 09:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Advice on L.A. living

well guys, this is my last year in college i believe, i will finish with a bachelors degree in telecommunication and film production with a minor in history, i feel fairly confident that i will find work or be given work in L.A., needless to say ive never been outwest, nor to a city the size of L.A. any tips on making the move to L.A., nice places to live? good places to make friends, etc.? any help would ease my mind, thanks
Shane Miesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 10:38 AM   #2
Major Player

Just a general comment about CA. No matter how expensive you think it's going to be, it will be more. It is beutiful, and there are lots of things to do, but I would definitely try to have a job and a place to live lined up before moving. I speak as a person who moved out there with niether and did okay, but had a ROUGH first year. Later the expense and overcrowding drove me away, but I miss it a lot. The pros and the cons pretty much equal out.
Best of luck.
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 11:20 AM   #3
Trustee

I've made the move twice and plan on doing it a third.

Here is some practical advice:

- Go there with a very reliable vehicle that no one will want to steal. I'm talking about a Honda or something like that. Get a solid car, but not flashy. This will be your #1 asset in LA that you bring with you. If you can't get around for a job...you're screwed. Although, use public transportation if you can because there are to many damn cars in LA..

- Make as many "friends" as possible before going there. If you want in on the video/film industry...meet lots of people by joining all the orgs out there. There are many, so look them up!

- Stay away from stupid people. Don't get involved with people that waste your time.

- Enjoy LA for what it is...don't get caught in the hype. It's a real city and Hollywood isn't what you think. It's a state of mind more than a city. If you go there thinking fame and fortune you will be very disappointed. However, if you go there to learn and be around the most creative people on earth...you'd do pretty damn good.

- Be willing to do anything in the industry. That means if you want to be a filmmaker...be ok with eventually helping someone else make their movie. It's the way it is...most work for others. It sucks, but the truth is you'll be working your way up the ladder whether you like it or not. Your college degree will help by letting people know you're not a moron. But, beyond that it's your personality that matters most.

- Which leads me to your #1 asset that you'll bring to LA's film/video industry. Your personality is probably more important in most situations than your skill. If you can't relate to the people your working with...well, you won't be asked back. Be cool. That's probably the main thing. Just be a cool dude. That will propel you forward faster than anything else.

- Buy the latest Thomas guide. Boston was built on cow pastures, so the most confusing place in the US is Boston!! LA is a new city, so it's a grid system...straight lines everywhere for streets. But, it's so huge that you do need a good map. The Thomas guide is a must for your traveling pleasure.

- Go cheap whenever possible. Where you live, what you eat...make sure you can afford to live for at least 4-6 months without income. You'll find that getting job isn't that difficult if you're not stressing about eating or your rent...or your vehicle. (reliable transpo!!!!!!)

- The 99 cent stores are your friend.

- There are so many free things to do in LA. It's an amazing city if you've never lived there before. You could spend a year just visiting places for free and that would probably be enough entertainment for you. The beaches are great...the whole coast is amazing. Also, go to City Walk etc...all free.

- Work for free (on your spare time) on productions. It will introduce you to lots of people. The way it works is simple...if you're there and someone doesn't show up you could be shooting a damn movie before you know it.

- Always have a backup plan in LA. This means...have bailout money available. If the shit hits the fan...be able to pack and go with short notice.

- Which leads me to this....earthquakes!! Lol, I was there for the 1994 earthquake and had to move out of LA because of it. Looking back, I should have stayed and slept on the streets. But, I left because my apartment building was condemed! Also, my music job at a music studio got messed up because of the quake. So, be prepared to move on short notice...live out of your car until you get back on your feet.

- Last, but not least....have fun because LA is the greatest city in the world if you are creative!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood